mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Some doubts about Performance and changing voices smoothly while performing"

Posted on: March 24, 2013 @ 02:35 PM
Piotrek
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-24-2013

I’ve read the manual and still some basic things are not clear to me.From the beginning

I start no matter what PERFORMANCE and try to overwrite VOICES to PARTS 1-16.
- I click PART SELECT button
- than I choose all parameters and put VOICES on PARTS 1-16
Here is the first problem: If I finish this, and than click PART SELECT button next time or EXIT button, could I be able now to change my selected VOICES just by clicking 1-16 PARTS buttons. Cause I can’t do that. When I click any of PARTS 1-16, it shows the first VOICE from category. I tried also to STORE my PERFORMANCE after choosing VOICES but the result was the same. Only the first PART is always the one which I have choosen.
And that is a problem.

My second issue is more complicated. Is it possible to smoothly change between two layered sounds? You know what I mean: For example: You want to have a piano sound with a little choir on background and than imidiately there is a need of rock guitar with arpeggio bass. If yes, what is the best way to do that? Is it necessary to program two PERFORMANCES and put them one after the other (the problem of smoothness)? Or maybe there is a way to do this within the one PERFORMANCE?

Best wishes and thanks for help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2013 @ 04:37 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I start no matter what PERFORMANCE and try to overwrite VOICES to PARTS 1-16.
- I click PART SELECT button
- than I choose all parameters and put VOICES on PARTS 1-16
Here is the first problem: If I finish this, and than click PART SELECT button next time or EXIT button, could I be able now to change my selected VOICES just by clicking 1-16 PARTS buttons. Cause I can’t do that. When I click any of PARTS 1-16, it shows the first VOICE from category. I tried also to STORE my PERFORMANCE after choosing VOICES but the result was the same. Only the first PART is always the one which I have choosen.
And that is a problem.

You just need a consistent way to approach editing the Performance. once you are clear on this, you will be able to navigate with ease and best of all sure footedly. There are times when the buttons are CATEGORY SEARCH, and there are times when the same buttons are PART SELECT.

It is imperative to be clear on when the buttons are doing what. It is one of those things that once you see it, you always know to check.

Here is what you need to know:

When the SELECT button is lit, you are in PERFORMANCE SELECT mode, you can select any one of the 128 Programs.
When you press [SELECT] to turn its light OFF, in the main screen you will see the Voice assigned to PART 1 on the top line… With its CATEGORY abbreviation and Name. On the bottom line is the CATEGORY and Name of the Voice in PART 2.

AP: >ConcrtGrnd
STR: Amb Pizza

In between the CATEGORY and the NAME is the flashing cursor, indicating which of the two PARTs is currently selected. Take a look at the sixteen white buttons on the right front panel. You read what is written above those buttons… The Category of the current Voice will be lit. Pressing any button now would be SELECTING a new Voice for PART 1. Make sense?

Move the Cursor down with the DOWN CURSOR arrow, notice the light now indicates the String Category is selected…

As you touch the different Categories they always start with the same listing. Say you touch the [KEYBOARD] Category, it starts with “Vintage’74”, you can increment through the Voices in this category with the DATA WHEEL, or the INC/DEC buttons, or you can press the [KEYBOARD] category, again. Each press of the KEYBOARD category button increments. [SHIFT] + [KEYBOARD] jumps you to the next SubCategory within Keyboard sounds, which is FM Electric Pianos, and so forth.

The important thing to know is when you see the Category and Name of PARTS 1 and 2 in the screen, you are in SELECT Mode, and CATEGORY SEARCH is in effect on the sixteen buttons.

However, if the [PART SELECT] button, (located to the right of the front panel) is lit, then the sixteen buttons take on another whole function. Instead of reading what is written above the buttons you can see how the words “PART SELECT” are connected to the numbers written under the sixteen buttons. This function, when active, means pressing a button will change the PART you are currently in touch with. Remember there are sixteen Parts, when PART SELECT is lit you are moving between the sixteen PARTS. Make sense?

When PART SELECT is not lit, you are selecting a Voice for the current PART.

It will take a few minutes for the significance of each is and how the screen looks when you are in one or the other. When you see the numbers “12345678910111213141516” in the screen PART SELECT is in affect, and the underscore and lighted button will tell you which PART you’ve selected to play.

Have you downloaded and installed the VycroMX Editor? It can be helpful in learning to get around the MX.

My second issue is more complicated. Is it possible to smoothly change between two layered sounds? You know what I mean: For example: You want to have a piano sound with a little choir on background and than imidiately there is a need of rock guitar with arpeggio bass. If yes, what is the best way to do that? Is it necessary to program two PERFORMANCES and put them one after the other (the problem of smoothness)? Or maybe there is a way to do this within the one PERFORMANCE?

well, yes you can “smoothly change between layered sounds… And you are not limited to just two either… You know what I mean.

To program multiple layers you will need to download and install the VycroMX Editor, it allows you to create Performances that include multiple layers, split/layers, and multiple split/layers as you may require from the sixteen PARTs. You can involve as many as you would require.

The Editor allows for some more advanced programming, where you can change the MIDI Receive Channel of any of the Parts. So to play any Parts simultaneously all you need do is change the MIDI Channel… Once set up all PARTS you assign to Channel 1 will play when press PART SELECT 1, all the PARTS you assign to Channel 2 will play when press the PART SELECT 2 button, and so on.

And yes there is seamless transition between your PARTS whether they are set to play one Voice or a layered setup of several. You can even hold a chord, switch and play over top with the new layer!

You do need the Editor to program this type of PERFORMANCE… And once you create it in the Editor you can STORE it to an internal location of your hardware MX… So even though you couldn’t program this from the front panel, the MX will store the setup internally… Very cool!

Hope that helps you get started.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2013 @ 11:34 AM
Piotrek
Joined  03-24-2013

Thanks! Now it seems much more familiar.

here comes another issue but it’s a detail:

How to keep sustain on one part after chnging to another, and still having a possibility to use sustain pedal on that second one?

This question came to me because when I was changing parts,and also using sustain pedal (FC4),sometimes the previous one was still on after releasing , playing second part, and sometimes, after releasing the pedal and playing second part the sound of the first one disappeared.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2013 @ 07:27 AM
Piotrek
Joined  03-24-2013

Anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Robert Karasek Using the MX49 (YouTube)
Next Topic:

Aux audio input and USB Audio Interface ››