mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to send prgm change but not midi messages from the keys - S90ES"

Posted on: March 03, 2013 @ 04:56 PM
Mr Trier
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-02-2013

Hello Yamaha-friends!

When playing live I use an S90ES and an old Roland D-50.

I user the Master-mode in the S90 to control the D-50 so that when I change Master Setup (I have one for every song we play) the S90 sends a Program Change message to the D-50 along with volume change and so on. All this works like a charm.

However - sometimes I just want to send a program change message to the D-50 but I don’t want the S90 to send any midi messages when I play the keyboard on the S90.

In other words - for every master setup on the S90 - I want to send program change message to the D-50 - sometimes I want the sound from the D-50 when playing on the S90 and sometimes I don’t want the sound from D-50 when playing on the S90 because I then want to play directly on the D-50. How do I this?

I’ve read the “Understanding S90ES Master Mode” (wich by the way is excellent!) several times and also googled but can’t come up with a solution.

I would be very grateful if anyone knows the answer! =)

Best Regards

//Mr T

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2013 @ 06:25 PM
S70xs_user
Total Posts:  60
Joined  09-02-2012

Interesting question - I would think it can be done, but not sure how (I have an S70XS, not an ES sorry)

I am sure Bad Mister will help out, but otherwise I will get my gear out and play around - I think the clue is in the ‘Midi Send Switch’ which is touched on , p5 of the ‘S90XS Understanding Master Mode’ manual.

I have a related question - when in Master Mode, how to send midi notes from my S70XS to another device (easy), but not controller wheel changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2013 @ 12:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the Forums!

In other words - for every master setup on the S90 - I want to send program change message to the D-50 - sometimes I want the sound from the D-50 when playing on the S90 and sometimes I don’t want the sound from D-50 when playing on the S90 because I then want to play directly on the D-50. How do I this?

When you setup a MASTER program and you activate the Zone Switch (which means you are going to use it to control internal and/or external devices), and you enter EDIT, the [F] and [SF] allow you to customize each MASTER program.

Take a close look at each of the options on the screen.
When you want the Master to address the external device along with the internal S90 ES, under [F1] TRANSMIT you would activate a ZONE for each device you want to address.

And as I’m sure you have figured out when you want to send a Bank Select and Program Change to the external Zone you would set the Master options for this...By marking the option, and under [F4]PRESET you can send the appropriate MSB/LSB and Program Change numbers.

When you want to communicate with the Zone these Master Edit parameters will allow you to do so, you have Transmit Switches [F3] TX SW to customize what controllers go to which Zone. Use the UP and DOWN cursor to view all the different Controllers

But also you have (under [F2] NOTE you can set the range of Notes from the ES that will trigger the Zone. In the MASTER Programs where you want to trigger the external device leave the LOW NOTE LIMIT at C-2 and the HIGH NOTE LIMIT at G8
And for the Programs where you don’t want to trigger the external device, set the LOW NOTE LIMIT to G8, and the HIGH NOTE LIMIT to C-2.

By setting the High Limit to the lowest note and the Low Note Limit to the highest note you create a “no fly” zone for the ES keys… All other things that you want to go to the external device will go, but not the NOTE-ON events generated by the Keys… At least ou can set what gets sent per Zone and what does not!

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2013 @ 09:08 AM
Mr Trier
Joined  03-02-2013
Bad_Mister - 04 March 2013 12:16 AM

Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you! I had an acount at sninetyforums.com, but that was a while back.

Bad_Mister - 04 March 2013 12:16 AM

By setting the High Limit to the lowest note and the Low Note Limit to the highest note you create a “no fly” zone for the ES keys…

Aah - so “simple”! =)

I have looked at the [F2] page and understood what it did. But I did not manage to think outside the box to use that funtionality for this specific problem.

Big thank you!

Mr T

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2013 @ 09:13 AM
Mr Trier
Joined  03-02-2013
S70xs_user - 03 March 2013 06:25 PM

I have a related question - when in Master Mode, how to send midi notes from my S70XS to another device (easy), but not controller wheel changes.

Do you mean like modulation wheel?

I don’t know if the XS is the same as the ES in this regard but in the ES you select [F3] TX SW, select the zone you want to edit. Then you just step down with the down arrow key. The list is divided over three pages so just keep pressing down arrow until MW appears.

//Mr T

[ Ignore ]