mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "DAW Remote control messages"

Posted on: January 30, 2013 @ 07:59 PM
nickthat
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-11-2012

I am trying to use my S90xs with Rosegarden on Linux. I have the MIDI connected and working and I can receive and send MIDI messages no problem. I am trying to get the DAW remote feature working. I presumed that the DAW remote would send MMC messages to record/start/stop etc. So I ran a trace utility to monitor the incoming MIDI messages. Nothing comes in when I press those buttons (other control messages do come in like when I press the assignable function buttons.) Does this mean the S90XS doesn’t use MIDI for DAW remote - is it something that goes through the USB driver only? Or is there a setting I am missing, perhaps?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2013 @ 01:09 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When the DAW REMOTE function is activated on the S90 XS/S70 XS, it uses MIDI commands that are routed out via the USB-Driver exclusively on PORT 2. Remote Control commands are isolated on PORT 2, IN and OUT, so they remain discreet from the Music, Tempo and performance Control data on PORT 1.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2013 @ 08:07 AM
nickthat
Joined  05-11-2012

Phil,
Indeed that is a great help. I was monitoring port 1 only. Now I do see MIDI events coming in on port 2. Curiously though, the events appear to be note on/off messages when I press record, stop etc. I might need to find a way to map these to MMC messages to make rosegarden recognise them.

Thanks
Sean

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2013 @ 09:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Port 1 messages from the transport buttons are your standard MIDI start/continue/stop messages.
(in hex: FA/FB/FC)

When the instrument is set SEQ CTRL = in/out it is able to send and receive the messages, along with SPP (Song Position Pointer, in hex: F2)

Press [UTILITY]
Select “MIDI”
Cursor Down to “SEQ CTRL”
Set to “in/out” or as necessary to accomplish your goal.

These messages are sent via Port 1 only when the instrument is not in Remote mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2013 @ 08:39 AM
nickthat
Joined  05-11-2012

I am not seeing the standard MIDI start/continue/stop messages coming in on any port no matter what the setting of Seq Ctrl is.

I don’t quite follow what you mean by this “These messages are sent via Port 1 only when the instrument is not in Remote” - when the DAW remote button is not pressed, the transport buttons are used for selecting the ARP type. So how can the instrument be told to send Start/Stop messages?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Assign Category
Next Topic:

S90 and Cubase 6 ››