mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Issues with MX49"

Posted on: December 31, 2012 @ 03:44 PM
emdub123@gmail.com
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-31-2012

I’m using Cubase 6.5.4 with the Yamaha N12 and I just purchased an MX49.  Here are the issues I’m having:

1.  Cubase doesn’t appear to support both Firewire and USB Yamaha devices at the same time because you must choose either the FW ASIO or the USB ASIO.  Whichever one you choose, one of the devices doesn’t work properly.

2.  When I choose the USB ASIO, then go to add the MX49 as a MIDI device within Cubase, it’s not on the list of supported MIDI devices!  The manual shows it in the screenshot, but it’s not in the Cubase ‘Add MIDI Device’ menu. (see attached image)

3.  There’s no section for MX49/61 support on this website.

4.  When you register on this website, MX49/61 aren’t even listed as devices for your signature.  Neither is Cubase 6.

In conclusion, it appears that this product was rushed to market before it was ready.  If anyone has any tips for how to deal with these issues, please let me know.

Image Attachments
Cubase midi issue.PNG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2012 @ 05:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1.  Cubase doesn’t appear to support both Firewire and USB Yamaha devices at the same time because you must choose either the FW ASIO or the USB ASIO.  Whichever one you choose, one of the devices doesn’t work properly.

Like most DAWs, Cubase allows you to select one ASIO driver at a time. However, unlike most DAWs you can switch audio drivers without having to shut down and relaunch the application. And of course, if you are using a Macintosh computer you can construct your own Aggregate Audio device - which will allow you to select this as your audio driver thus you are able to have both devices available simultaneously.

We see you’ve listed Windows as your computer type… You may take advantage of Cubase’s ability to switch drivers mid Project. In your particular situation you will want to use the FW ASIO driver as your main driver, connect the analog audio outputs of the MX in stereo to your n12 for monitoring purposes. With it as your main audio driver you can proceed to record either MIDI or Audio as you may require.

Not knowing your preferred workflow, this would be the most flexible configuration (using the n12 mixer as your mixer). The MIDI functions of the (MX’s) Yamaha Steinberg USB driver will function - it is completely independent of the audio side of the driver. So you will be able to record MIDI data from the MX, you will be able to use its Remote Control features, you will be able to playback MIDI to the MX tone generator… All MIDI functions will work. You will monitor the MX via your mixer, n12.

After tracking your MIDI to the DAW, if you would like to render the sound (audio) of MX to Cubase, then you can make a choice:
1) switch audio systems to the Yamaha Steinberg USB and record the audio direct from the MX to Cubase
2) record the audio of the MX through your n12.

Either way, it is up to you. But this should not be seen as any kind of obstacle. We hope to have the first of the MX Guides up as soon as possible.

2.  When I choose the USB ASIO, then go to add the MX49 as a MIDI device within Cubase, it’s not on the list of supported MIDI devices!  The manual shows it in the screenshot, but it’s not in the Cubase ‘Add MIDI Device’ menu. (see attached image)

That is correct, you are to download the Yamaha MX49/61 Voice List for Cubase (.XML) and IMPORT it as a MIDI DEVICE inside of Cubase. It is available on the official MX download page

http://download.yamaha.com

Please see the included INSTALLATION GUIDE for details… then you will see exactly what is shown in the manual screen shot.

3.  There’s no section for MX49/61 support on this website.

Yet.
It is still very, very new. There is, however, a forum for the MX49/61! Look back after the new year for increased Support for the MX. It is just with the holidays and upcoming NAMM show - it is a very busy time for all concerned. Your patience is appreciated.

4.  When you register on this website, MX49/61 aren’t even listed as devices for your signature.  Neither is Cubase 6.

See answer #3

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2013 @ 11:44 AM
r43ds
Joined  01-01-2013

thanks for your article.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2017 @ 08:37 AM
leafloft
Joined  07-01-2017

Hi there.

I bring this thread back to life cause I am struggling with locating the MX Voice List on the yamaha website. Does the file still exist? I’ve been looking all possible section but I just can’t find it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2017 @ 09:36 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
leafloft - 01 July 2017 08:37 AM

Hi there.

Welcome to the forum.

leafloft -

I bring this thread back to life cause I am struggling with locating the MX Voice List on the yamaha website. Does the file still exist? I’ve been looking all possible section but I just can’t find it.

Although Yamaha has done a good job of hiding it, I was able to find a link.

MX49/61 Voice List for Cubase (.XML):
http://download.yamaha.com/file/58043

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]