mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90ES Channel Aftertouch"

Posted on: December 11, 2012 @ 05:31 PM
snorkybingo
Total Posts:  8
Joined  12-11-2012

Hi all, I’ve had my S90ES a couple of years and have never used aftertouch. I’ve just recently started using a software instrument (in Logic) that can respond to Channel Aftertouch only I’m not getting any response out of using ChAT. As a result I’ve also tried using ChAT with a S90ES preset (from a bought sound bank) that is supposed to have AT and not getting any response. I’ve checked all through the manual and settings and everything seems to be ok. Can anyone give me any advice on setting up a sound for aftertouch or how to check that my ChAT is actually working. Or is there a factory preset that definitely uses AT that I can check my S90ES with?

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2012 @ 11:07 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It has been several years since I have played the S90 ES, but Aftertouch is always sent by the keybed whenever you apply additional pressure to a pressed key. Whether or not this gesture does anything depends on the Voice you are playing and if Aftertouch is assigne dot do anything.

Aftertouch as a controller can be assigned to any of 68 destinations (parameters) you have to decide what you want to control. Often it is used to apply vibrato (Pitch Modulation Depth) or it can be used to alter the tuning (Coarse or Fine Tuning), or it can used to increase the output level of a particular component of a Voice, etc., etc.

This is handled in the VOICE mode, by editing the CONTROL SET
Call up the VOICE you want to experiment with
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F4] CTRL SET

Here you will find six Controller Setups. You access them via the [SF1] - [SF3] buttons
Each Controller Setup has a group of ELEMENT SWITCHES, a SOURCE (physical controller), DESTINATION (parameter you are going to control) and a DEPTH (how the parameter will respond to selected physical controller). If the DEPTH = +0, nothing will be applied - you must have a DEPTH value for the SOURCE (AT) to be applied to the DESTINATION

Some of the parameters apply to the entire Voice, while others you can select which of the 4 Elements you are applying this control. If the Element Switches appear in parenthesis: (----) what you are applying will affect the entire Voice. However, if you DESTINATION is an ELEMENT parameter you can select which of the Elements will respond.

See pages 60 and 131 in the S90ES Owner’s Manual for details on the parameters and Controller Sets.

You don’t mention what you want to control - but this should get you started. If you get stuck, post back here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2012 @ 03:22 PM
snorkybingo
Joined  12-11-2012

Thanks Bad Mister,

what I’m trying to do is control the modulation speed on a Gofriller Solo Cello that is loaded into Kontakt on my Logic Studio 8 using AT. This is the default action of AT on the Gofriller Solo Cello and cannot be changed. I was assuming that the AT would be sent automatically from the keyboard (via mLAN) to my iMac into Logic and I would not need to set up the CTL SET [F4].

Also if an AT MIDI message was sent to Logic then it would show activity in the “MIDI IN” indicator of Logic but it doesn’t.

Using a S90ES preset I have tried setting CTL SET up to control different parameters with AT but it is still unresponsive. I’m starting to think the AT does not work on my S90ES but maybe this is not the case and as usual I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2012 @ 04:47 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Using a S90ES preset I have tried setting CTL SET up to control different parameters with AT but it is still unresponsive. I’m starting to think the AT does not work on my S90ES but maybe this is not the case and as usual I’m doing something wrong.

Can you recount what you tried on the internal S90 ES… I really know nothing about how your external device responds, I can only help you with the S90 ES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2012 @ 05:42 PM
snorkybingo
Joined  12-11-2012

Ok, I select

PRE2 Voice 017 [Or:OrgPad]

then select

Edit [F4] CTL SET [SF3] SET5/6

Then I set SET5 as follows

SET5 Element Sw = (----)
Source = AT (--)
Dest = CLFOSpd
Depth = 63

Now I turn the Mod wheel up and play a key lightly (low velocity). The modulation is heard on the note, the speed of which should be adjusted by the key pressure. Keeping the key pressed I press the key harder and the modulation does not change speed.

I’ve also tried this with ELFOSpd as the Destination and switching the Element Sw = 1234 still with no result when adjusting key pressure.

I’ve also tried this with PCH-Crs as the Destination and switching the Element Sw = 1234 still with no result when adjusting key pressure.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB-MIDI Driver Installation Issue......
Next Topic:

Software making samples for S90XS ››