mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF 7 controller weirdness"

Posted on: November 13, 2012 @ 06:51 PM
Mantra
Total Posts:  51
Joined  10-05-2011

Hi

I’m running a Motif XF 7 (1.3 firmware), which is fantastic by the way, with Logic 9.1.6 on an iMac with Lion.

That said, the remote control function just seems to have gone weird on me. Initially it started with the first control channel panning 100% hard left and the volume going to negative infinity when I opened a session. then it expanded to all the pan controls acting like switches and only transmitting -64 or +64. And the assignment buttons also seem to be offset, i.e. if you press send, it pulls up plugin, if you press plugin, it pulls up inst in an so on. And now track is loading an instrument. 

I have tried restarting logic, the motif, opening a different song, which worked for a bit and then went odd.

I’m thinking potentially I pressed some wrong combination of keys or something and am wondering how to set the control surface back to its default logic setting. I have also tried removing it and reloading it in logic.

I’m going to keep on trying other stuff, but if anybody has any good ideas, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2012 @ 09:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, I do not know the ins and outs of LOGIC, but it sounds like you have your MIDI Ports routed incorrectly.

You don’t say, so this is complete guess, but we are thinking you are connected to your computer via either USB or FW. This means that your Motif XF is communicated with the computer on multiple MIDI ports simultaneously.

Port 1 is always the port for musical data (note-ons, controllers, tempo)
Port 2 is always for REMOTE CONTROL messages… these two must be kept discreet from each other.
If you allow REMOTE CONTROL messages onto you Tracks, you will have crazy random messages flying around - every time you press a key or button something else will happen. Because the commands that work for REMOTE CONTROL are flying around where they do not belong and the opposite its true, if your PORT 1 messages get into the CONTROL SURFACE bus, playing a melody might do exactly what you describe.

PORT 3 is the THRU PORT and routes the 5-pin MIDI jacks to and from your DAW
PORT 4 is reserved for the Motif XF Editor.

You must keep these ports routed properly or madness and chaos will ensue.

That should give a place to start, anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2012 @ 05:26 PM
Mantra
Total Posts:  51
Joined  10-05-2011

Hi Bad Mister

Thanks for the response. I’m running over usb and the ports are definitely set to port 2 for send and receive. To test this, I opened up the Mac Midi/Audio control panel and switched the test midi on and only the motif buttons were sending info on port two but not the pots & faders. Although Logic was still responding to pot & fader movements in some strange ways. I then opened the original logic session where the issues started and it seems to be working okay again although pots an faders are still not registering with test midi on port two even though Logic is now responding to them correctly ? The control surface settings are also highly configurable from the Logic side although it now appears to be working as specified in the motif Data List manual ?!?!? So if it goes weird again I’ll just try the test midi app again.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Multi-mode settings
Next Topic:

What am I doing Wrong??? ››