mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie with old gear… Motif Rack program change question…"

Posted on: October 06, 2012 @ 05:43 PM
keys58
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-06-2012

Am I able to change Multi programs from external keyboard?  I’m able to make Voice program changes, but not Multi program changes?  Am I missing something really obvious?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2012 @ 06:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In order to change MULTI program in a Motif Rack you must send it both Bank Select and Program Change messages.

MSB 63
LSB 65
PC 0-127

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2012 @ 09:05 PM
keys58
Joined  10-06-2012

Thanks for the very quick response. 
Please pardon my ignorance:  I see, in Multi edit, where the MSB and LSB numbers are listed below each corresponding Voice part.  When I try to change these, both are highlighted and few changes are available.  Am I correct in guessing that these values need to be changed from the controller keyboard? I’m trying to use a Korg Karma as its controller.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 07:13 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry about that… But since in your original post you said you were able to change Voices, I assumed you had worked out BANK SELECT and PROGRAM CHANGE information.

When in Voice mode each Program has a Bank Select and Program Change value that recalls it.

For example, if you are in VOICE mode and need to recall the BANK = PRESET 1, VOICE (program) 001, the message would be:

MSB 63
LSB 0
PC 0

If you are in VOICE mode and need to now recall the BANK = PRESET 2, VOICE (program) 001, the message would be:

MSB 63
LSB 1
PC 0

When you are in MULTI mode, you either send a BANK SELECT and PROGRAM CHANGE on each of the 16 MIDI channels to change an individual PART. Or if you wish, you change the entire MULTI, you can send a specific BANK SELECT that address the rack unit as a whole. SO like changing the MULTI from the from panel you can recall an entire MULTI setup.

The key is the MSB/LSB numbers. When in MULTI mode there is a BANK SELECT command that speaks to the whole Motif Rack, and there are BANK SELECT commands that speak to each individual PART.

Just how you send Bank Select and Program Change messages from your Korg product, I cannot help you. The diagram from your Motif-Rack Data List booklet show you the possible Bank Select commands and the range of Program Changes in each Bank.

Image Attachments
MotifRackBanks.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 06:21 PM
keys58
Joined  10-06-2012

Thank you very much, again, for your help. I had already been referencing the chart you’ve attached, but cannot grasp how I can change these values.  Just to clarify, the change to the MSB and LSB values must be sent from the controller keyboard?  If that’s the case, I won’t bother you any more . . .  Sorry, my lack of knowledge regarding midi control change information is obvious!!  I appreciate your patience.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2012 @ 11:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Just to clarify, the change to the MSB and LSB values must be sent from the controller keyboard?

Yes, that is the case.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif Rack (Classic) with Yamaha CP 300
Next Topic:

why i get "midi buffer full" ?? ››