mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problem with MIDI and USB"

Posted on: August 27, 2012 @ 08:14 PM
MBM37
Total Posts:  3
Joined  08-27-2012

Hello to everybody. First of all I must apologize for my bad english, I hope you can understand me.

I´ve connected the MIDI OUT of my keyboard to MIDI IN of my Motif Rack. The Motif Rack is connected to my MB Pro via USB. I´ve enabled USB in Utility.

When I play my keyboard, the computer receives the MIDI signal without problems, but there is not audio signal from Motif Rack.
If I send MIDI from computer to Motif Rack, then Motif Rack sends audio signal.

I want send MIDI and audio from my Motif Rack. Is it not possible?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2012 @ 09:05 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Your English is fine. Your Mac Book Pro by itself is not capable of much by itself - you must be running some software and to get audio into your computer you need some sort of audio interface. It is that software that will receive your MIDI IN messages from your keyboard controller. It is also that software that will be responsible for ‘echoing’ the MIDI signal back to the Motif-Rack.It is the audio interface that will allow you route audio into your computer.

Say you are using Cubase. You would create a MIDI Track.

The MIDI IN for that MIDI Track should be “Yamaha Motif-R-1”
The MIDI OUT for that Track should be “Yamaha Motif-R-1”

When that track is selected (highlighted) you can play your keyboard, its MIDI signal is merged with the Motif Rack on Port 1 and sent to the computer. The MIDI track receives that data and you echo it back to the Motif Rack via the MIDI out assignment.

Now you have the Motif-Rack generating audio. to get the audio signal from the Motif-Rack into your computer you must have a (yet unmentioned) AUDIO INTERFACE.

Again computers (even Mac Book Pros) do not come with professional recording hardware, you need to either connect your Motif-Rack to an audio interface - the job of the audio interface is to prepare audio for you computer. There are many different types of audio interfaces (USB audio interfaces, FW audio interfaces) but you need one to take signal and route it to your computer software, and you need it to take audio from your computer software and route it to your speakers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2012 @ 05:18 AM
MBM37
Joined  08-27-2012

Hello, thank you very much for your kind reply. I see now that I have not explained myself correctly, sorry.

I´m using Logic Pro as sequencer and my audio interface is Fireface 400 (RME).

The chain is:

MIDI Keyboard--> Midi cable --> Motif --> USB cable --> MB Pro (with FF400).

So when the computer and Logic are on, everything works as you say: I play the keyboard, it sends MIDI to Motif, the Motif sends MIDI to Logic, Logic echoes to Motif and Motif sends sound. This is perfect, I have not problems with this setup.

But I would need just one more thing: I would need that when I´m not with any software in the computer, the Motif plays with the MIDI that my keyboard sends to it, without echoing. Because my audio interface can work in stand alone mode, so sometimes I just want to play the piano and I don´t want to turn on the computer and Logic Pro only for this. So I would need that Motif works also with MIDI direct from my keyboard.

So, would it be possible?

Thank you very much again and best regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2012 @ 07:45 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you want to play the Motif-rack without echoing set the MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI instead of “USB”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
MBM37
Joined  08-27-2012

Ok, it is what I feared. It´s not bad, it´s only that it´s not as comfortable as I would like ;-)

(EDIT: I mean it is not too much comfortable because I have the change the MIDI status each time)

Thank you very much for your help and best regards.

[ Ignore ]