mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Basic Receive Channel"

Posted on: July 18, 2012 @ 09:46 PM
msh001
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-18-2012

Does anyone know why the Motif rack’s Basic Receive Channel resets to channel 1 every time that the Roland MC 500 is booted?
I’ve tried every possible combination in the Utility menu. The Motif holds the channel when powered down, but as soon as the MC 500 OS is loaded, I can watch the BRC revert to channel 1. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2012 @ 11:02 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not sure… it has been more than 25 years since I’ve seen a Roland MC500. And since I work for Yamaha I cannot really tell you what it is sending that would cause that. Normally that parameter on a Motif-Rack can only be addressed by a specific SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE message. (Sysex messages can address any parameter within the unit… but unless that message exists in loaded sequence… it is a very good mystery.

My question is for you - What mode are using your Motif Rack in when you turn on the MC500?
If you are using it in MULTI mode (which would be the logical choice for working with an external sequencer)… the Motif-Rack’s Basic Receive Channel would be used only to address entire Motif-Rack as a unit. (global)

Each PART of the MULTI is addressed separately. When in MULTI mode PART 1 defaults to Channel 1, PART 2 to Channel 2, PART 3 to Channel 3 and so on.

The Basic Receive Channel would be used to address the entire Motif-Rack, say you wanted to Change from MULTI 001 to MULTI 002, you would send that command using a specific BANK SELECT and PROGRAM CHANGE that addresses the unit GLOBALLY.

Easy Solution
Try powering on your MC500 before you power on your Motif-Rack

If you are asking out of curiousity: Connect your MC500 to your computer - run a MIDI MONITOR program like MIDI-OX (for example) and capture whatever it is that MC500 sends out when you power it on.

Or call Roland.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2012 @ 12:36 AM
msh001
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-18-2012

Thanks for your response. I’m using multi mode. I’m not able to use your suggestion about powering on the MC 500 first, because I use the Performance software and the problem is even caused by booting another disk.
However, thank you for the MIDI-OX suggestion. Using that tool I was able to determine that the issue is caused by the MC 500 sending a CC 124 Omni Off command. Is there any way to configure the Motif rack to ignore that command?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ OS update corrupts halfway through...
Next Topic:

Motif Rack power supply? ››