mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need help hooking up MM6 to either audiointerface or pc"

Posted on: July 16, 2012 @ 05:01 PM
kmart
Total Posts:  87
Joined  09-25-2010

I am a newbie. I am following a video tutorial for my cubase software.
It says I need to see a red light going up and down in cubase when I play the keyboard. I don’t even have the mm6 communicating with either the interface or the the pc. The mm6 does not come with a driver to my knowledge.My pc was trying to communicate but nothing came of it.

I don’t know if I need two midi cables or my Yamaha u16 cable to connect. I checked manuals and I don’t see guidance. I don’t even know if it’s “in” to “in” with the cable, or if I need two cables. I have the Yamaha u16 driver installed successfully but, it looks like the keyboard is supposed to be hooked up to the audiointerface. If that is true I need the midi cables. Do I need them both. It seems I need the u16 driver inside the pc and the midi cables to connect the keyboard to the interface.

I’ve been away from this for a long time.Somebody help me out if you will.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2012 @ 02:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

First, you want to determine what you want to record to Cubase. MIDI or AUDIO or both.

MIDI data can be transmitted from your MM6 directly to your computer via a USB connection (single USB cable) using the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver.

Go to http://download.yamaha.com

Select your country
Type in your Product Model: MM6
When the Search Results appear confirm your MM6

You can refine the search to your particular computer operating system. You will find the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver appropriate for use with the MM6 listed. Recording MIDI data means you are recording the coded messages that represent the music - you can document your performance and even edit the notes you played. The MIDI data is always played back through the MM6. It is able to read the coded messages and output sound. You connect the audio outputs of the MM6 to your monitor speakers (sound system)

If you are going to be recording AUDIO to a computer, you then need to connect the audio outputs of the MM6 to your computer via a device called an “audio interface”. This device will be responsible for acting as your computer’s soundcard. You then connect your monitor speakers (sound system) to the audio interface device.

The audio interface will take audio input and deliver it into the computer, it will take audio from the computer and route it to a pair of studio monitor speakers you connect to its audio outputs. In order to record audio you need an audio interface.

Something like the Yamaha AudioGram3 or AudioGram6 - these are small format devices that allow you to connect your keyboard(s) and microphone(s) to your computer.

The AudioGram will have a different driver - one that helps the computer process the Audio (sound) data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2012 @ 03:07 PM
kmart
Total Posts:  87
Joined  09-25-2010

Thank you, I was able to figure out that I only needed
one midi cable. I have heard of the audiogram 3 and 6.
I might get one of those down the road but, I want to see if I
have what I need to get through my tutorial. Thanks
for the information. I also had to get that Yamaha
driver which I downloaded. I completed Lesson 1 in my
tutorial successfully.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Control mm6 via midi
Next Topic:

Unwanted notes on MM6 ››