mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI Pedal (Behringer FCB1010)"

Posted on: April 07, 2012 @ 04:02 PM
endreottem
Total Posts:  55
Joined  02-18-2007

This may seem like a stupid post, but anyways. I’ve always been frustrated by my pedals sliding all over the place when I’m on stage. Thought about buying a pedal board, such as the Pedaltrain, but I found them much too pricey for what they do (unless they can actually do a lot of things I’m not aware of, but it had to be quite spectacular to defend the price).

So, while googling for pedal boards I stumbled across the Behringer FCB1010. Costing much less than the pedal boards that doesn’t actually do anything, I thought it was a no-brainer, so I ordered one right away.

I received it a couple of weeks ago, and to be honest I didn’t understand anything of the included “manual” (although I’ve been using MIDI equipment for almost 30 years). I guess I’ll get the hang of it eventually though.

What I wonder is if anyone else is using the FCB1010 (or similar), and how you use it. I was hoping to be able to replace the sustain pedals (for three different keyboards), so I don’t need to have any pedals on the loose (if that’s even possible to do with the FCB1010). But then there’s still seven switch pedals and two expression pedals left, so I’m looking for suggestions on how I could put them into use. :-)

Also, if anyone knows of a good tutorial on how to program this sh… I’m all ears. The included manual is worthless. They could just as well have included a manual for a fridge or a space shuttle, or anything else in between really.

For the most part, my setup consist of a Motif XS7, a Nord Electro 3 and either a Korg M3 or a Novation Impulse MIDI keyboard controlling a soft synth on a Mac or PC.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2012 @ 10:41 AM
wvujazzman
Total Posts:  52
Joined  09-30-2003

I have an FCB1010, which I use for patch changes on multiple sources while I’m playing.  I don’t have my manual in front of me, but if I’m recalling correctly, it will not work as a replacement for multiple sustain pedals, because the switches only transmit momentary data, like a patch change, or overdrive on/off, or rotary speaker fast/slow… stuff like that.  Sustain is actually two different midi control data points, one of which is sent when you press down on the pedal, and the other when you release it.

I’ll check on that later today, and I’ll certainly post again if I’m wrong on that, but I’m pretty sure that’s how the unit works - momentary only.  The two controller pedals transmit continuous data, but they’re for volume or expression, and would be impractical to use as sustain pedals.

As an alternative for chasing pedals, I have something which is basically a long piece of felt and a hard plastic end that goes behind the pedal.  Your heel goes on the felt part and that prevents the pedal from moving while you play.  I can’t recall the name of the product right now, but I know they cost me about $18 a piece - I have 3 of them for my rig.  I’ll try and remember to get that name for you.

Eric

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2012 @ 05:02 PM
endreottem
Total Posts:  55
Joined  02-18-2007
wvujazzman - 11 April 2012 10:41 AM

..it will not work as a replacement for multiple sustain pedals

Didn’t see your reply until now. Thanks! :-) I actually still haven’t tried programming it, but I hope to get the time to do so this weekend. I skimmed through the manual, and if I understood it correctly, there should be a way to program the pedals as momentary switches (such as a sustain pedal)..? I guess I will find out. I’ll post my findings here. :-)

wvujazzman - 11 April 2012 10:41 AM

As an alternative for chasing pedals, I have something which is basically a long piece of felt and a hard plastic end that goes behind the pedal.  Your heel goes on the felt part and that prevents the pedal from moving while you play.  I can’t recall the name of the product right now, but I know they cost me about $18 a piece - I have 3 of them for my rig.  I’ll try and remember to get that name for you.

While I was looking for a pedal board, I stumbled across something called Stageworks Non-Slip Mats. Perhaps you’re using something similar to this? http://www.stageworksgear.com/products/non-slip-pedal-mats-guitar-keyboard-drum-effect.htm

If the FCB1010 can’t be used for sustain, but I find other good uses for it, I guess I could use non-slip mats for my sustain pedals - but the FCB1010 takes a lot of space, and if I have to use three sustain pedals in addition to the FCB1010, I don’t see how I could make room for them all. :-o

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2012 @ 01:06 PM
wvujazzman
Total Posts:  52
Joined  09-30-2003

Here’s what I am using:

http://www.creepnomore.com/about.htm

slightly different approach, but same concept.

[ Ignore ]