mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Importing MIDI tracks from Cubase 6 to Logic 9"

Posted on: December 05, 2011 @ 06:47 PM
Vertical
Total Posts:  209
Joined  12-12-2009

Greetings I have Cubase project with 5 MIDI tracks. They all are assigned to Motif XS8 output, to separate channels 1,2,3,4 and 5.. Motif XS used as tone generator.. Now Im trying to import my project to Logic 9.
- I export my tracks to MIDI from Cubase (tried different options.. with/or without automation, type 0, etc..)
- When I import MIDI to Logic 9 it sets them not as External MIDI instruments, but as Software instruments..... and also it change voices inside Motif!

the question is how to Import to Logic my MIDI tracks to “External MIDI tracks” and prevent Logic to change instruments in Motif......?? (

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2011 @ 07:12 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004
Vertical - 05 December 2011 06:47 PM

- When I import MIDI to Logic 9 it sets them not as External MIDI instruments, but as Software instruments..... and also it change voices inside Motif

I’m not certain how familiar you are with Logic but, in general, this statement cannot or rather, should not be true. Let me explain:

Logic ‘ports’ MIDI to either software instrument tracks, OR External MIDI tracks OR External Instrument tracks. Any MIDI regions placed on software instrument tracks can only trigger and control those particular tracks. Likewise, if a software instrument track is highlighted, and your XS properly setup with ‘local=off’, (for general recording), you should still only be able to trigger that software instrument. The same holds true for the other types of tracks. When highlighted or having MIDI reions on External Instrument Tracks, they should only trigger those tracks, per MIDI channel and software instruments should remain unaffected.

So, something else- all things being equal- has to be ‘changing’ the XS’ voices given your scenario. Something has to be ‘off’ somewhere in your setup and/or settings for what you are describing to take place…

Finally, I’ve also just given you the answer you’re looking for. Logic does- by default- open gm files onto software instrument tracks. Create the number of external MIDI tracks required and ‘port’ them, via the Library, to the XS and the equivalent MIDI channels. Then, drag (or cut/paste) the MIDI regions onto the corresponding external MIDI tracks- MIDI channel 1 to MIDI channel 1, etc… If you have saved program change messages in the MIDI files, they should then function correctly…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2011 @ 03:53 PM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009

Thanks I followed you advice and created 5 clean MIDI tracks in Logic and imported MIDI. Everything seemed to be ok except Logic is still changing MIDI instruments in Motif. 

- How to prevent Logic to do that in any case?
- How to make Logic import MIDI data as External MIDI instead of Software Instruments by default?

Also it doesn’t matter if Studio Manager is running or not..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2011 @ 04:19 PM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009

I found the solution but it’s VERY-VERY strange.. I mean the behavior of Logic

1) I import my MIDI file (with 5 tracks) into Logic. It loads each track but as software instrument.
2) For each track I select “Reassign track -> Midi Instr. -> XS8 -> .......... I need to scroll to the end of this big list and select “All MIDI channels”.
The same operation for other 4 tracks.

And everything is ok now except....

1) I couldn’t understand how Logic sets each External MIDI Instrument to correct channel for Motif?
2) How to perform #1 for all 5 tracks at the same time?
3) And the most important… For my “XS8 MLAN” device there is a long list with some strange instruments. And I cannot just set it to external MIDI channel of Motif. If I try to do so Logic immediately sets Motif’s track with another instrument. That is very frustrating.... look at the screenshot.. is it possible to arrange plain MIDI output channels??

Also I followed your tutorial To Logic 9 Setup with MOTIF XS.....
ok

Image Attachments
123.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2011 @ 03:29 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

If you create one external MIDI track and assign it to the XS8 Port and the MIDI channel 1. The can then import additional tracks and Logic will automatically start them from the XS8 port MIDI 2 thru 16 or, however many you create…

I save a template of my setup and then can just import the MIDI tracks into that.

You can turn off Logic ability to send program change messages. But, there are a number of things to check. What are your settings at Settings>MIDI =>General>Send After Loading Project>Used instrument MIDI settings?
Is it unchecked?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2011 @ 07:04 PM
Vertical
Joined  12-12-2009
motif8mine - 07 December 2011 03:29 AM
If you create one external MIDI track and assign it to the XS8 Port and the MIDI channel 1. The can then import additional tracks and Logic will automatically start them from the XS8 port MIDI 2 thru 16 or, however many you create…

yep but it also changes voice in Motif XS sequencer......

i took screenshot

Image Attachments
Снимок экрана 2011-12-08 в 1.02.39.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2011 @ 02:27 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

This may be a driver problem- solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but first, try trashing Logic’s preferences. Also, are there any Program change messages in the MIDI files?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ yamahasynth.com upgrades for lion OSX10.7.2
Next Topic:

Midi Port 3 and FW on the XS6 ››