mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "2nd synth after motif"

Posted on: February 25, 2010 @ 09:41 AM
niklasp
Total Posts:  32
Joined  02-16-2010

hallo i have a motif es6 and want to buy a second synth, whichone would be a good addition to the motif? it shouldnt be a roland fantom, because they are very similar. maybe a virus ti?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2010 @ 11:25 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I also have an ES6 and a Virus TI...can’t say much in depth about the TI as I’ve only had it 2 days ;) but it sounds excellent, as it should for the rather elevated price tag. A brand new TI keyboard costs more than an XS6!!!

Anyway, over the 5 years I’ve owned the ES I have owned a few “second” synths and all have been analog or virtual analog, including a couple of analog modular synths that were really cool but not for me.

Sample based synths can’t do certain types of sounds that analogs can, such as audio rate modulations (ring mod, filter FM) and filter self-oscillation.

Have you looked into the PLG boards?

The PLG150-AN is virtual analog and I have been happy with that for a few years but the Virus does make it superfluous (way more voices and multitimbral).

The PLG150-DX gives you a full blown DX7. Yamaha’s FM is another type of synthesis sample based synthesizers can’t replicate.

You can buy those two PLG boards new for $500 and used for about $300, which is way cheaper than buying a Virus TI!!!!

Anyway, take a long hard look at what you think the ES is lacking in terms of sounds YOU are after and then start shopping around.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2010 @ 12:32 PM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004

Get a Korg M50!  :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2010 @ 01:53 PM
niklasp
Total Posts:  32
Joined  02-16-2010

no m50. i’ve not enough space for it. and both keyboards are to similar. maybe a virus will do better.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2010 @ 10:55 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

I guess the real question to ask yourself is what do you want the second keyboard to do?

So Fantom is out because it is too similar. OK but similar in sound or features or feel or look??
Narrow it down a bit then see what obvious contenders stand out. A tenori-on woudl be different, but would you want to use it etc.

There’s no reason not to source something from e-bay (or similar) that might be an up and coming classic.

A few thoughts :)

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2010 @ 05:45 PM
Mlg4ever
Total Posts:  877
Joined  07-27-2003

get an OASYS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2011 @ 03:05 AM
49erkid
Total Posts:  21
Joined  03-28-2011

Do what I did and get a Korg Radias, you can just get the module without the keyboard if you want to save space, the Radias is an incredible synth with endless possibilities to make your own sounds and much more affordable than the Virus check out some videos on Youtube of the Radias in action.

49erkid

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2011 @ 06:58 AM
Effenix
Total Posts:  31
Joined  11-23-2010

Korg Kronos or Jupiter 80.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2011 @ 12:58 PM
Igglethorpe
Total Posts:  163
Joined  11-20-2010

Virus TI hands down.  Kronos duplicates the Motif to a degree.  Sure, you get a bunch of synth engines but it has a lot of bread and butter sounds that you already have in your Motif.  Same with the Jupiter.  At the end of the day when you mix everything down professionally, most people who listen to music is not going to know/care if you used a Kronos or a Motif or a Jupiter so you may as well get something with a completely different sound palette.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2011 @ 03:36 PM
Gospelpad160
Total Posts:  316
Joined  01-25-2006

I really like the Korg Triton as a second keyboard.  My assistant at church got a triton this past summer and we ended up always putting the triton on top of the Motif for additional sounds.  I grew to like the contrast of it to my Motif stuff so much I ended up getting a Triton Rack to use myself.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 11:07 PM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004
Gospelpad160 - 21 April 2011 03:36 PM

I really like the Korg Triton as a second keyboard.  My assistant at church got a triton this past summer and we ended up always putting the triton on top of the Motif for additional sounds.  I grew to like the contrast of it to my Motif stuff so much I ended up getting a Triton Rack to use myself.

YUP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2011 @ 04:02 PM
benoit
Total Posts:  173
Joined  08-19-2009

Kurzweil PC 3 LE. The version 2 of the software allows full editing.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS8 - Are the good and bad CHIPS in these Boards?
Next Topic:

Help with studio set up ››