mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I Hear The Keyboard Sound"

Posted on: September 23, 2011 @ 09:10 PM
jordygolfing
Total Posts:  96
Joined  12-31-2008

Hi all.

Okay, I’m plugged into Logic via firewire, I have an Instrument Sound (Track) Selected (Organ, etc.) When I press any key on my keyboard I faintly hear the piano sound from my Motif along with the instrument sound.  I’ve tried everything.  What can be causing this?

Thank you, in advance!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2011 @ 06:18 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We moved your post here to the LOGIC forum, as your question is really about how to operate your DAW (Logic).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2011 @ 10:33 PM
jordygolfing
Joined  12-31-2008

Common....help please.... 

I know someone can.  I have my computer and logic out and in set to my Yamaha motif.  If I record a Motif voice into and have my headphones on (plugged into my motif), the sound is horrible coming through my headset.

I have my headphones hooked to my motif.  I have the Out on my mac set to yamaha motif, I have the out set to yamaha in logic.

When I try record a track using an instrument sound from Logic, I can faintly hear whatever voice I have on my motif and....

If I try to record my yamaha voice in an audio or midi file into logic, the sound quality is greatly reduced....  It sounds horrible.

Please help me.... someone…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2011 @ 11:24 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

There are a few problems in trying to help you. First, the terminology you are using is not Logic’s terminology so, it’s hard to follow. Instruments Sounds??? Are you referring to Software Instruments?

I have the Out on my mac set to yamaha motif, I have the out set to yamaha in logic.

No idea what you are referring to. You need to give details. Are you connected via mLAN or the FW16E? If there is an audible degradation of sound quality, check the firewire cable first and then the mLAN or FW16E card would need to be examined.

As for the keyboard sound you are hearing. I would need details of all of your connections and what tracks types and ports you are using within Logic. Also, what mode you are working in Song, Pattern, voice, etc… on the Motif…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2011 @ 10:09 PM
jordygolfing
Joined  12-31-2008

I am connected FW16E.

I am using midi track, audio tracks and instrument tracks on the same performance.  I am working in voice mode on the motif.  I have my motif set to fw on the midi screen and i have updated the lastest software update from yamaha for the driver.

Problem:

I am composing a song (4) tracks

1.  Midi from Motif XF
2.  Instrument Sound From Logic
3.  Instrument Sound From Logic
4.  Instrument Sound From Logic

Problem #1.  When I am recording Midi from my Motif, the sound quality is greatly challenged while I listen from my headphones plugged into the Motif.

Problem #2 I can hear (3) tracks when I change the output in logic into my (Desktop) speakers, but I cannot hear the midi track I recorded on the Motif, however, i can hear the midi track and all other other tracks from my headphones.

Problem #3 while I a recording a midi track into logic, and I choose a Logic Instrument Sound, I can hear the motif keyboard piano sound while I play, as well as the logic instrument sound.

Settings on Motif: 

Local Control = On
Midi In/Out = FW
I/O= With PC (Direct Monitor)
Mic/Line = Line
L&R;Gain = 6db
Assign L/R Gain = 6db

THERE IS ZERO DB ON ALL THE FW GAIN 1-14...SHOULD THERE BE?

Settings in Logic

IN/OUT MOTIF

In my Logic Library I have 4 different Motif Choices:

1.  Motif XF Main
2.  Motif XF Midi Out
3.  Motif XF Midi Out
4.  Motif XF Remote

Settings in Computer:

My Midi Control Panel can see the Motif, HOWEVER, when I press a key to test the connection, there are up and down arrows below the motif Icon and ONLY one arrow lights up.

Let me know what other settings you need to know of.

THANKS

OKAY, I set the Local Control to = OFF and When I play the logic instruments, I DON’T Hear the motif sound, however, I can’t hear any of the motif sounds now, ONLY the sounds in Logic…

UPDATE!

Okay, I chose MOTIF MIDI OUT ON MY MAC/VIA LOGIC PRO....AND I SE THE LOCAL CONTROL TO OFF on my Motif and I getting a great sound of my Motif Voices and am able to record Midi in Logic, and I also am able to record a Logic Software instrument without hearing my keyboard voice....

Can someone tell me what I did?/ And, why is there four choices in my Logic Software for Motif Main, Motif Out with channels 1=16 and the Motif Out with Prgm channels and a Motif Remote. 

If I can get an explanation, it would sure help.

One last thing...why when I choose my computer speakers to listen to my 4 track song, I can hear the audio tracks but not the Midi track? 

THANK YOU!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2011 @ 01:30 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
jordygolfing - 26 September 2011 10:09 PM

I am connected FW16E.

I am using midi track, audio tracks and instrument tracks on the same performance.  I am working in voice mode on the motif.  I have my motif set to fw on the midi screen and i have updated the lastest software update from yamaha for the driver.

Problem:

I am composing a song (4) tracks

1.  Midi from Motif XF
2.  Instrument Sound From Logic
3.  Instrument Sound From Logic
Instrument Sound From Logic

OK then, you’re in Voice Mode. Don’t know why you would be but, I can follow you now…

Problem #1.  When I am recording Midi from my Motif, the sound quality is greatly challenged while I listen from my headphones plugged into the Motif.

Earlier, you said it was horrible. I have no way of knowing what that means. These are subjective kind of statements. Do you mean you are hearing noise, artifacts, distortion? If by horrible and challenged, you simply mean- not as loud as the Software Instrument Tracks in Logic, changing the FW Gains you mentioned above are going to assist that. The other thing to do is of course, turn the software instruments down.

Also, there are dozens of threads in the XS and XF forums on maximizing gain. Do a search on, ‘low volume’, you’ll find thread after thread on how to resolve it…

Problem #2 I can hear (3) tracks when I change the output in logic into my (Desktop) speakers, but I cannot hear the midi track I recorded on the Motif, however, i can hear the midi track and all other other tracks from my headphones.

If you have not recorded the MIDI as Audio, you are not going to hear it in the MAC. The XF is your audio card and when using the FW16e, your monitor the output from the XF…

Problem #3 while I a recording a midi track into logic, and I choose a Logic Instrument Sound, I can hear the motif keyboard piano sound while I play, as well as the logic instrument sound.

1.  Motif XF Main
2.  Motif XF Midi Out
3.  Motif XF Midi Out
4.  Motif XF Remote

You Should Not being seeing four MIDI ports within Logic. Only three should be visible. Btw, what version of Logic are we talking about?

review this post by Bad_Mister related to the XF:

Bad_Mister - 02 September 2010 10:07 AM

Multiple Port of MIDI
Port 1 - for all music related MIDI data: Note-on, Controllers, Tempo, etc.
Port 2 - for REMOTE CONTROL of DAW software Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, Sonar and Digital Performer
Port 3 - for IN/OUT communication from any external device connected to the Motif XF’s 5-pin MIDI jacks. This is the so called THRU port

If you are seeing more than three ports and this needs to be resolved immediately…

First, check your environment. Window>Environment>MIDI Instr. how many objects are there and their names. They may be on top of one another. Delete any duplicates…
If that doesn’t resolve it this may be a fairly serious issue

I would uninstall and reinstall the YSFW Driver… If that does not work, the next step is to have the FW16E / XF checked out by a service center…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2011 @ 06:09 PM
jordygolfing
Joined  12-31-2008

Why wouldn’t I be in Voice Mode.  I want to record the Full Grand Voice into a track in Logic....  Please advise?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2011 @ 08:46 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
jordygolfing - 27 September 2011 06:09 PM

Why wouldn’t I be in Voice Mode.  I want to record the Full Grand Voice into a track in Logic....  Please advise?

Why? because the FW16e is equivalent to a super highway moving 16 lanes of traffic (both MIDI and Audio) to and from the XS of XF. Right now, recording in stereo, you are using two. Review these posts:

Bad_Mister - 02 September 2011 09:37 AM

The FW16E is nothing to sneeze at, the quality is far, far better than you would think - “a basic soundcard” right!!!… it has 16 audio bus outputs, 3 pair of audio returns, handles MIDI communication as well on multiple ports, allows the pristine audio quality of the Motif XF and anything connected to its A/D INPUTS to be recorded to your favorite DAW. You have pristine 24-bit audio at 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz.

I’d certainly put it up against any firewire audio device you are thinking about buying, that is for sure. The audio path within the Motif XF is very high quality, seriously. Listen - you hear it everyday (we can only hope you have speakers that are doing it justice).

There is nothing “pretty basic” about the FW16E at all. You wil not find another FW interface that does what the Motif XF + FW16E can do, period. Remember you are able to use the DSP built into the Motif XF… for example, you can process audio with Motif XF Effects. You’d be hard pressed to find an audio interface that does what the FW16E does.

And…

Bad_Mister - 26 June 2011 07:31 AM

the sampling rate can be selected 44,100 samples per second, 48,000 samples per second, 88,200 samples per second, or 96,000 samples per second. The FW16E operates with 24-bit word lengths. You have 16 audio bus outputs, and 6 audio bus inputs.

The 6 channels you are referring to are INPUTS to the Motif XS.
1 - Motif XS Main Left
2 - Motif XS Main Right
3 - Motif XS mLAN Left
4 - Motif XS mLAN Right
5 - Motif XS Assignable Left
6 - Motif XS Assignable Right

The number of inputs is fixed, you can choose to use them or not. The Main LEFT/RIGHT go to the main left/right outputs: your monitor speakers, the FW LEFT/RIGHT return to the XS mixer and sampler, the Assignable LEFT/RIGHT go to the assignable left/right outputs on the back panel

The FW16E gives you 16 audio channels out of the Motif XS via firewire. It is very important to know that they are named:
Motif XS Main Left
Motif XS Main Right
Motif XS 1 (m1)
Motif XS 2 (m2)
Motif XS 3 (m3)
Motif XS 4 (m4)
Motif XS 5 (m5)
Motif XS 6 (m6)
Motif XS 7 (m7)
Motif XS 8 (m8)
Motif XS 9 (m9)
Motif XS 10 (m10)
Motif XS 11 (m11)
Motif XS 12 (m12)
Motif XS 13 (m13)
Motif XS 14 (m14)

You can see how you select these outputs in your Motif XS on the following screen:
Press [SONG] (or PATTERN)
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press a track number button [1]-[16] to view PART edit parameters.
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] OUTPUT
Here, highlight the OUTPUT SELECT parameter.
Press [SF6] LIST
Shown will be a listing of all the possible output bus on which you can route any PART.

Remember the word ‘bus’ is used in electronics to denote that multiple signals can travel of a bus… just as multiple passengers can ride a city bus at the same time. By default, all 16 PARTS of the Motif XS mixing setup default to riding the “main L/R” bus. The OUTPUT SELECT parameter is where you can re-route the signal by giving it a ticket on a different bus. If you re-route the PART on the m1/2 bus it will be routed to a stereo pair called “Motif XS 1” and “Motif XS 2”

When you do you remove it from the main L/R signal flow and it is re-routed on its own path toward the DAW software.

When trying to learn the routing thing, I highly recommend that you work with a test signal on a test file. So that you really understand how the signal travels from point ‘A’ to point ‘B’ and on to point ‘C’. until you do, it can be quite frustrating to figure out where to look. But “signal flow” is the key. Start by routing a simple signal through the system and learn to know where it goes next so that you know where to look when troubleshooting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2011 @ 08:47 PM
jordygolfing
Joined  12-31-2008

what does that all mean?  You still haven’t explained WHY not record a voice to a midi track in LOGIC.  Can you give me a big picture? 

Who can I hire in the Denver are to connect the Motif to Logic???  How can you expect someone to know these things?  I have read the book, looked on line, etc etc., and because there’s 5000 ways to connect the hardware, I have no idea how to proceed.  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIDI MAIN, MIDI MAIN, MIDI REMOTE, MIDI REMOTE, MIDI OUT AND MIDI IN?  HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ONE TO USE.  There should be a warning label on the MOTIF and/or Logic, that it takes 4 years, at the least and an engineering degree to program these two units. 

Please try and explain in simpler terms as to what you are saying..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2011 @ 09:18 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

If you are new to this, it is going to take time and effort- there’s no substitute for it. We used to call it- paying dues. That and learing the terminology as I mentioned above. It really doesn’t get much simpler than Bad_Mister’s explanation so, I would shelve it for now and work with what you have…

Let me repeat myself however: if you have the following four ports showing up in Logic

jordygolfing - 26 September 2011 10:09 PM

1.  Motif XF Main
2.  Motif XF Midi Out
3.  Motif XF Midi Out
4.  Motif XF Remote

There is a need to uninstall and reinstall the YSFW Driver. Only three ports should be showing up there…

I wrote a “LOGIC9, YAMAHA XS MLAN TUTORIAL” which normally I’d recommend. The functionality of the XS and XF is essentially the same. But, since it was written for the XS and some of the names of ports, etc… is different, I afraid it might confuse you even more…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2011 @ 09:48 PM
jordygolfing
Joined  12-31-2008

On Logic I now have:

Motif Main
Motif Remote
Motif Out

will you send me that link that you mention above please.... let me try and understand it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2011 @ 11:26 PM
jordygolfing
Joined  12-31-2008

I created an Audio Track and used a software sample… I can’t hear it anywhere and it doesn’t record anything.  I see the notes on the bottom of the logic screen indicated as I play the keyboard, but no sound and nothing is being recorded…

What now!

I’m seriously thinking about selling this Motif and getting a Yamaha CVP.  is it really this hard.  I am a very, very bright chap and I see the level of people that use these devices… what is the deal here!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2011 @ 11:42 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

look at the next thread in the forum

[ Ignore ]