mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi Question"

Posted on: February 19, 2011 @ 10:07 PM
ruasmith21
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-19-2011

I know this is probably something simple but I’m stumped on whether or not this is possible.
I have a Motif 6 and a Roland RD-150. I love the sounds in my Motif but need the 88 keys. This brings me to my question: Is there anyway for me to setup the two keyboards with Midi so that I can use my Roland as a controller so that it plays through one midi channel (say channel 2) and controls one sound while my motif controls another midi channel (channel 1).

In short, I want to stack the two boards, run bass on the motif and keys on the Roland with BOTH sounds coming from the motif.

Please say this is possible…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2011 @ 10:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes you can - here is what you need to know.

The Motif needs to be in a mode where you can
1) receive on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously
2) select multiple sounds

the Multi-part modes on the Motif are SONG MIXING and PATTERN MIXING modes - in these modes the Motif is 16 PART multi-timbral. PART 1 defaults to MIDI channel 1, PART 2 to MIDI channel 2 and so on

Press SONG (or PATTERN) and select a blank location
press [MIXING]
Place the sound you want to play from the Motif keys in PART 1 of a MIXING setup
Place the sound you want to play from the Roland keyboard in PART 2 of a MIXING setup

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2011 @ 03:53 AM
ruasmith21
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-19-2011

Bad_Mister thank you very much this is exactly what I was asking for.
Now is it also possible to switch how track 1 defaults to midi 1, ...? I’d like to layer my sounds coming from one midi channel.
Ex. midi channel 2 controlling tracks 2 & 3?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2011 @ 04:14 AM
bengertje
Total Posts:  155
Joined  09-15-2009

I had the same question last week. Bad_Mister gave me this answer:

This is a basic MIDI transmit and receive question. Here is whatyou need to know:When you are in VOICE mode or PERFORMANCE you are transmitting on a singleMIDI channel from the XS keyboard… and more importantly - if you were toconnect an external device to control the XS via MIDI, the VOICE orPERFORMANCE would be addressed on a single MIDI channel. Make sense? When you are in SONG/PATTERN mode you are still transmitting fromthe XS keyboard on a single MIDI channel at a time, but each of the 16 PARTSof the MIXING setup can be set to receive any MIDI channel youdesire. By default they are set PART 1 = CH 1, PART 2 = CH 2, PART 3 = CH 3,and so on But you are free to place each PART on any MIDI channel you desire. So say you placed PARTS 1, 2, 3 and 4 on MIDI receive channel 1. Knowing that if you transmit on MIDI channel 1, you know that all four ofthese PARTS would respond together.

Basic fundamental MIDI
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press button [1] to view PART 1 parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE
Set the RECEIVE CHANNEL as you require
Rinse and repeat for each PART as you require.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2011 @ 08:00 PM
yahhamm
Total Posts:  114
Joined  01-22-2010

In short, I want to stack the two boards, run bass on the motif and keys on the Roland with BOTH sounds coming from the motif

I know that this is months late (I just found this site) but here’s a thought.

I midi my yamaha xs6 to my roland g7.  I play the g7 and import sounds form the xs6 to it.

i tell the roland to go find the sounds i want in the xs6 and bring them back to the roland.  I do everything in Performance mode in the Yamaha.  In channel 1 of the roland, I tell the roland to find the yamaha (63), the user bank of the yamaha (User 1 = 9, User 2 = 10, User 3 = 11) where the sound is located, and then the individual location of the sound in the User Bank (1-128).

This way I can get the great piano sounds of the Yamaha into the Roland.  Also the Yamaha gives me 4 voices per performance site and the roland give me 8 = 12 voices per song!

A thought…

yahhamm

[ Ignore ]