mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transposing"

Posted on: June 10, 2011 @ 07:28 PM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004

Can you transpose a patch and save it, like on the Triton? If so how do you do it? I have a Motif Classic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2011 @ 05:59 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Can you transpose a patch and save it, like on the Triton? If so how do you do it? I have a Motif Classic.

I’m not sure about how it works on a Triton, or why it would be important if the Motif did it the same way. I’m sure it does not.

On the Motif you do not “TRANSPOSE” VOICES. The word transpose in a YAMAHA-speak refers to a function of MIDI transmit. So you can TRANSPOSE the keyboard, or you can TRANSPOSE a track within the sequencer. Both the KEYBOARD and a SEQ TRACK “transmit” MIDI data.

If you want to change the key of a sound (the synth’s tone generator), YAMAHA refers to this as “NOTE SHIFT”. So you can NOTE SHIFT the tone generator. The synth tone generator “receives” MIDI data.

Both (Transpose/Note Shift) accomplish the same sonic thing (key change) but if you are going to work with a YAMAHA it is best to understand how TRANSPOSE and NOTE SHIFT are used. And what the difference is and how it may impact what you are doing or trying to do.

Now you may feel that I’m being too specific, but if you are going to work with a Yamaha keyboard, it would, at some point, make sense to learn the terminology of the Yamaha.

By saying “transpose a patch”… we are not sure if you are referring to a VOICE program, a PERFORMANCE program, a SONG or PATTERN MIXING program, or even a MASTER program?

(Just FYI: A “patch” in Yamaha speak is a function in the PATTERN sequencer).

You can independently TRANSPOSE the entire Keyboard (which changes what goes OUT via MIDI) and you can NOTE SHIFT the synth tone generator (this does not affect what goes OUT via MIDI). This can be an important difference in certain MIDI situations.

And not to confuse you, but you can TUNE each multi-sample within a Motif VOICE. A multi-sample is called an ELEMENT. A Motif Classic had a 4 ELEMENT Voice engine, each ELEMENT could be a complete and independent instrument sound or could be one component in building a single complex sound. Each of the ELEMENTS has its own volume, pan functions, envelopes (AEG, PEG, FEG), filters, routing to the effects, etc., etc., etc. And, of course, each Element can be TUNED up or down, independently, over a 4 OCTAVE range by semi-tones (+48/-48)

Here’s how:
Call up the VOICE you want to alter
Press [EDIT]
Press a number button [1]-[4] to select an ELEMENT 1-4 to edit
Press [F2] PITCH
Press [SF1] TUNE
Rinse and repeat for each Element as you require

Then STORE your VOICE to a USER bank location.

Alternate methods:
You can place any VOICE into a PERFORMANCE and use the “PART” parameters to NOTE SHIFT the entire VOICE. PERFORMANCES allow you to comine as many as 4 VOICES - and you can offset the programming of the VOICES in each PART without destructively changing the original VOICE data. Many prefer this route as it does not require individually editing within the VOICE itself

Same is true when you place the VOICE in a PART of a SONG MIXING, or PATTERN MIXING program.

MASTER mode allows you to address the internal tone engine via MIDI transmit ZONEs. Each ZONE can be assigned internally, externally, both or neither. Each ZONE can be Transposed independently - yes, “Transposed”, because you are transmitting to the tone generator via the MASTER KEYBOARD function and the pitch would be altered OUT via MIDI.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2011 @ 04:45 PM
bsr2002
Total Posts:  693
Joined  03-30-2004
Bad_Mister - 11 June 2011 05:59 PM

Alternate methods:
You can place any VOICE into a PERFORMANCE and use the “PART” parameters to NOTE SHIFT the entire VOICE. PERFORMANCES allow you to comine as many as 4 VOICES - and you can offset the programming of the VOICES in each PART without destructively changing the original VOICE data. Many prefer this route as it does not require individually editing within the VOICE itself

Same is true when you place the VOICE in a PART of a SONG MIXING, or PATTERN MIXING program.

MASTER mode allows you to address the internal tone engine via MIDI transmit ZONEs. Each ZONE can be assigned internally, externally, both or neither. Each ZONE can be Transposed independently - yes, “Transposed”, because you are transmitting to the tone generator via the MASTER KEYBOARD function and the pitch would be altered OUT via MIDI.

Hope that helps.

Thank You :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2011 @ 11:38 AM
Mizzac
Total Posts:  5
Joined  11-18-2009

How about when in pattern mode, mixing… Motif is slave to MPC basically used as module/controller You would like to change the note of 1 part without affecting the others?  Let me first say b4 I get a essay of an answer that just confuses me more I’m not Motif literate.  I get it to do mostly what I need, not here for a history lesson.  And to elaborate on the OP being experienced on korgs the process of transposing and note shifting what ever u wanna call it is brain dead easy on a krog.  I haven’t been able to figure some things out on this Motif 6 of mine as easy with manual in hand. Call me dumb if u like but when I do experiment I end up reseting my pattern mix every time losing what sounds or voices or whatever I had.  An easy 1,2,3 laymen terms answer would be greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2011 @ 01:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Motif is slave to MPC basically used as module/controller You would like to change the note of 1 part without affecting the others?

Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press the number button [1]-[16] of the PART you would like to change
Press [F4] TONE
Press [SF1] TUNE
NOTE SHIFT = 0 is normal, +12 is up 1 octave, -12 is down 1 octave, and so on

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2011 @ 09:04 AM
Mizzac
Total Posts:  5
Joined  11-18-2009
Bad_Mister - 31 July 2011 01:51 PM

Motif is slave to MPC basically used as module/controller You would like to change the note of 1 part without affecting the others?

Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press the number button [1]-[16] of the PART you would like to change
Press [F4] TONE
Press [SF1] TUNE
NOTE SHIFT = 0 is normal, +12 is up 1 octave, -12 is down 1 octave, and so on

Thank You.  Thats exactly what I was looking for…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Making Room for New Performances
Next Topic:

help on arpeggios in song/pattern mode ››