mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "recording levels via FW16E"

Posted on: July 23, 2011 @ 06:11 PM
tojoba
Total Posts:  8
Joined  06-04-2011

I have created a couple of songs from Performances on my Motif XF.  Each song right now is just the four Parts from the Performances.  I’ve set up the Mixer on the Motif for each song so that Part1 is routed to FW1 & 2, Part2 = FW3 & 4, Part3 = FW5 & 6, and Part4 = FW7 & 8.

My settings in the Utility mode are for all FW outputs to have +6 dB gain.

When recording either of the songs into Logic, my first pass at recording these four stereo tracks came back with a pretty low recording level.  The highest peak on any of the four tracks was around -19. 

When I looked at the Mixer on the Motif, I noticed that the faders for each Parts 1-4 were varied due to, I presume, the settings from the Performance.  So, I increased each fader for Parts 1-4 to max values of 127 and re-recorded the tracks.

I did notice higher peaks this time.  The highest peak was now at -9.  The sound quality was very good but when compared to other tracks in my project, the four tracks are noticeably lower.

Is there anything else I should check?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2011 @ 09:36 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

see below...

Bad_Mister - 18 February 2011 01:19 PM

‘Volume’ (how loud something is), while related to ‘record level’, is not the same thing. Record level is the signal you measure when you record data to an audio track. Volume is simply how loud your transducers (speakers) are playing back the data.

Recording audio require that you set levels and optimize your signl using meters. Your meters can be set without even having signal sent to your speakers. They are separate.

If you record signal that is low on the meters, this will translate to low volume when you record then playback your audio tracks. There is a discussion of how to maximize your record levels from your Motif XF here:

MIDI Velocity and Audio Record Levels

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2011 @ 09:39 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

or this:

motif8mine - 02 September 2009 11:10 PM

A few suggestions:
1) If you are going to go the common voice edit route suggested in the ‘Low Output levels’ post above, I would highly recommend doing it from the XS editor, as it is much more efficient and you can save the settings per song in a separate file and recall as needed. It has saved me quite a lot of time and made me much more productive- in the settings of the individual mLAN output per track also.

2) The far simplest, easiest and, I believe, best way to do this is by means of the External Instrument from within Logic 9, (Not The Same As An External MIDI Track). Without getting too detailed, since this is not the Logic forum, create an individual External Instrument for each mLAN track coming into Logic- in the pop-up, set the incoming MIDI Port, if needed… And, the incoming mLAN Port, (absolutely necessary)

Why, do this? The Input Volume slider will give you an extra -24dB to +12dB of pristine control over your input signal… See information on External Instrument In Logic Instrument Manual, or Apple Support Entry

[ Ignore ]