mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A/D Input direct monitoring vs USB output"

Posted on: June 30, 2011 @ 06:36 AM
dani13
Total Posts:  1
Joined  06-30-2011

Hi All,

I have bought a MOX6 two weeks ago and I’m very statisfied with it! :)

There is only one issue that causes some headaches to me:
I have a digital piano that is connected to the A/D input. I want to use this external digital piano to record acustic piano tracks when I compose songs in Cubase. For this reason I use the QUICK STEUP 1 (DAW Rec), so that I have direct monitoring and also the input is recorded in Cubase to an audio track.

My problem is the following. In order to have an adequate level of signal (use the whole ‘headroom’), I need to turn up the input gain knob for recording. On the other hand, this causes also high volume in direct monitoring, that can be very annoying, because the MOX parts are not so loud and the overall mix is unbalanced. I guess I could solve this problem if I could control the volume applied for direct monitoring independently from the volume of USB 1 recording, however I have not found such settings.

Is there any workaround solution for the above issue?

Thank you very much in advance!

Dani

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2011 @ 02:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There are several ways to work (as you might imagine). If you are simply recording MIDI tracks from the MOX to Cubase (which means you are having those tracks trigger the MOX tone engine) while you are overdubbing audio through the audio interface you will want to be able to “monitor” direct.

When you are in “2StereoRec” (Dual Stereo Record) mode, you have both Monitor switches set to ON. The AD INPUT is fixed to USB1/2 as output. The internal MOX PARTS initially use USB3/4 output.

The “PART” Direct Monitor Switch is ON and this allows you to hear the MOX PARTS (directly) as they are triggered by the MIDI data.

With the MOX “Direct Monitor Switch” = ON for the A/D INPUT you are able to hear what you are playing without having to deal with the computer processing the input, recording it, and then processing output. Direct Monitor On = zero latency monitoring. You can use the LEVEL meter on the MOX to set the record level amount - this is the level being sent to Cubase. You should use this meter when setting level for your DAW.

The volume of your MOX parts that are playing back in response to MIDI data as recorded in Cubase, can be controlled in several different (convenient) places. On the MOX’s own MIXER. On the Cubase Mixer. On the MOX EDITOR.

Here’s how:

From SONG or PATTERN mode:
Press [MIXING]
Press [F1] VOL/PAN
The total volume is a sum of all the PARTS (literally).

Alternatively, you can control the Volume of your MOX Parts with the Cubase Mixer
Go to DEVICES > MIXER (or simply press F3 on your QWERTY)

Alternatively, you can control the volume of your MOX Part with the MOX Editor (as well).

When monitoring your “live” incoming (A/D) signal with Cubase, (we assume you are recording to an AUDIO Track), you want to activate the RED RECORD READY button, but leave the TAN Monitor Speaker button OFF (deactivated). You want the Monitor Speaker icon deactivated because you are already monitoring the audio ‘direct’. If you activate the Tan Monitor Speaker button you will be monitoring via two separate routing pathways. If you use the monitor feature in Cubase, it is after the signal has traveled to the computer and come back again - and this will be added to the signal you are monitoring direct (the classic double sound) this is to be avoided.

You could also avoid doubling by keeping the DAW LEVEL fader down. The DAW LEVEL slider will always control the returning volume of audio track (or virtual audio track) signals from the DAW. This includes the DAW’s click. If you require a Cubase click, you can raise it just enough to hear the click but avoid too much of the latent signal. However, in most cases you will not a click because your MIDI tracks are there providing tempo while overdub audio.

When you playback, the MOX PARTS will sound and the A/D Part you recorded will playback through the “DAW LEVEL” slider, raise it to create a mix between your MIDI triggered PARTS and your now recorded A/D Part.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ "MOX6 Help!"...
Next Topic:

Cross-fade by using MW control ››