mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FW16e Setup in Logic 9"

Posted on: June 01, 2011 @ 03:18 PM
metamorphis8
Total Posts:  18
Joined  03-21-2011

I am looking for a step-by-step instructional on setting up the Motif Fw16 with Logic.

I have perused the forums, and have only found one relevant set up guide, which involved setting up the MLan system on an XS. I have an XF, and while there are a number of similarities between the MLan and FW16, there are some differences also.

I have the FW16 installed in the Motif XF, have downloaded the appropriate YSFW and 1394 drivers, and have made the appropriate adjustments in the XF. I have a MacBook Pro and it recognizes the YSFW drivers. My sole connection is a Firewire 400 to 800 connection from the XF to the MBP.

I am trying to record internal Motif sequencer performances directly to L9 into multiple tracks that match those of the internal Motif sequencer in one shot, as I know the FW16 allows. Likewise, I wish to do the same thing with audio tracks.

I am, however, unable to get L9 to record the Motif’s tone generator sounds into the MBP. For example, in attempting to record a performance recorded on the internal sequencer of the Motif to L9 (I set the Quick Seq Setup to #2-Recording Internal Sequencer to Computer), I can hear (through direct monitoring) the performsncce playing, but it is missing elements, sounds, and is often off-key. This is what gets recorded into L9

In L9, I have created a MIDI track for each track of the performance from the internal sequencer of the Motif, and have selected consecutive track numbers for each. With each track armed for recording, the resulting sound coming in is a mess. With only one track armed, I just hear the sound for that single track. And, sometimes I receive an error message from the Motif stating “system overload”. If I change Quick Setup from #2 to #4-Recording Arpeggios to Computer-the sound going into L9 sounds closer to the actual recording, but it is still off.

So, I conclude that I have not correctly set up L9 to receive the incoming MIDI tracks, and perhaps have not made the correct ones on the Motif as well.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

SS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2011 @ 06:11 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

There is very little difference between the setup of the two and certainly no significant difference, primarily because both are using the YSFW driver. The labeling of the I/O tracks within Logic is really the only thing you have to keep an eye on and substituting the name XS for XF and, mLAN for FW16e. That seems simple enough. That tutorial runs through properly setting up MIDI and audio tracks as well.

One final thing, it is much simpler, imho to just save the XF song as an SMF file and open it in Logic.

And just to make sure we are talking about the same tutorial, here is a link to it: LOGIC9, YAMAHA XS MLAN TUTORIAL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2011 @ 08:04 PM
metamorphis8
Joined  03-21-2011

Greetings Motif8mine:

Thanks for your response. Your tutorial (we are speaking about the same one) is very helpful, and has helped in the setup of FW and L9. I didn’t use the included environment, because I recall your stating not to use it for setup with the XF. Having followed the tutorial’s directions, and applying them to Snow Leopard and the XF FW, I am still having difficulty with the actual recording process. I believe its a matter of assigning the correct input and output ports on the Motif and in L9.  While this may appear simple to you, it does not appear simple to me, an admitted novice in the matter of all things MIDI.

If you have any suggestions regarding the exact port settings, I would appreciate it. For example, if I am sending a 4 track midi performance (with arps) from the internal sequencer to L9, what are my port settings? I created 4 MIDI tracks in L9, numbered them consecutively, but the input was a mess. I set the Motif to Quick Seup #2, which is what is advised, but the monitored sound is not the same as what I played and recorded in the internal sequencer.

Finally, you suggest saving a performance as an SMF file and then loading it directly into L9. Perhaps I am not doing something correctly, but having followed your tutorial on the matter, when I loaded the SMF data into L9, there was no sound, just the MIDI data. I was able to assign L9 tones to the data, but that defeats the purpose. The goal here is to record both the data and the Motif’s tones to L9. So, if there is a way to record SMF files with all the parameters and tones generated by the Motif and load that via memory stick into L9, I’d be happy to know.

Thanks for your help.

SS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2011 @ 10:04 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok,
I just noticed your other post on recording performances. I listed the Logic Track types there. You have to create External MIDI tracks. In Logic’s Library, you must choose the XF’s Main port and the MIDI channel that represents the XF Instrument you want to record / trigger.

Before I go beyond this, you really have to grasp this part… Figure #19 in that tutorial.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2011 @ 09:10 PM
metamorphis8
Joined  03-21-2011

Greetings Motif8Mine:

I went back and followed your MLAN setup instructions exactly as you set them out. In AMS, I named the new device “FW16”, and made the connections as you instruct. I created separate external MIDI tracks in L9 to receive data played back from the XF’s internal sequencer. I set the XF to Quick Setup 2-Recording Internal Sequencer to Computer. I have made all the settings in L9 per your tutorial. I use “FW16” in the L9 library as the device, then select channels through it.

When I play the sequencer, the green light remains steady, and the XF does not play the recorded multi track performance from its sequencer. L9 is not receiving data. I am also not able to record any MIDI data into L9 using Quick Setup 3.  I am however, able to record the recorded internal sequencer data into L9 as a single audio track.

Here are some thoughts what might be the connection problems:

1. I set separate channels in L9 for each MIDI “track” to be recorded from the XF. However, I cannot find a location on the XF where I can assign separate ouptut MIDI channels. Is this necessary to do, and if so, where do I set those channels? The Editor program does not open in L9.

2. I have made the Quick Setup’s as appropriate, (2 or 3, neither outputs anything) and set the FW interface to “PC” or “PC Direct Monitor”. Are there additional manual settings I need to set on the XF?

3. In L9, when I disconnect the computer, I get the message that a “device connected to Port #2 has been disconnected...”

I know that you state that the XF should be set to Port 1, so I am wondering whether I have set an incorrect port assignment. I haven’t tried to change ports. I just created the device in AMS, then made the connection to the YSFW as you instructed.

4. When I create external MIDI tracks in L9, I do not call up the XF’s bank in L9 to give the tracks the name. This is because I don’t have that data installed in L9 yet. Instead, I use the default program number, e.g. “0-11 on Tr1, etc. By doing this, am I somehow preventing the track information to transmit?

5. Do I need to make any additional settings in the Environment window of L9? Or in the Click and Ports section?

6. Finally, I see the “no in/ no out” in the transport bar of L9, which tells me that L9 is not seeing the input from the XF.  Prior to my creating the new “FW16"in AMS, and connecting it to the YSFW driver, L9 was picking up the in/out of the XF.

I appreciate your help. It’s probably a simple set up problem, but I am at the moment confounded. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2011 @ 10:31 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, before I begin to address these questions, you do not indicate that you have made the proper Utility settings in the XF as per Step #2 of that tutorial. Have you?

I need to know that you are not skipping steps…

EDITED ON 6/6/11 @ 9:35PM

Those steps are:

[UTILITY]> [F1] General> [SF4] Autoload> Set the IEEE1394 Driver parameter to ‘FW’

Press [Store] and confirm.

[UTILITY]> [F5] Control> [SF1] Remote, set DAW Type to “Logic”.
Press [SF2] MIDI> Interface= mLAN; and set MIDI Sync= MIDI or Auto...

Press [Store] to save the settings...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2011 @ 12:20 AM
metamorphis8
Joined  03-21-2011

Greetings Motif8mine:

For the moment, I am concentrating on tackling the audio setup of the FW16 and Logic 9. The problem is in setting the output channels from the Motif into L9.

I am trying to record a sequencer performance from the SONG mode into L9 as audio. L9 picks up the sequencer audio without problem when I play it from the internal sequencer.  However, L9 records all of the sequencer tracks into a single audio track in L9. I have created multiple audio tracks in L9 (one for each performance part), and each has its own input channels, e.g., 1-2, 3-4 for stereo tracks, and so on. L9 records multiple tracks simultaneously, but because all the inputs are coming into it via 1-2, the other tracks remain empty.

I am unable to find the location where I can assign each Motif track to a particular output channel. I would then assign the output of each track to match the input settings in L9. Where do I do this? I am unable to find any setting in the keyboard that allows the assigning of channels for each track.

In the MLAN setup tutorial, you state that this is done in the VST Editor. The VST Editor does not appear to be a stand alone program, so how do I access it to set the channel sends for recording to L9?

Moreover, where is this setting located within the keyboard? I have gone through every parameter in the Utility, Mixing, and Edit menus, and there is nothing that allows the assigning of outputs for individual tracks.

Thanks in advance.

SS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2011 @ 12:11 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

No, I don’t think so. I do not mention the VST Editor at all. I reference the XS Editor or in your case, the XF Editor- (not the same thing...)

Anyway, to assign from the XF itself…

From SONG or PATTERN Mode:
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]

Select the PART by pressing button [1]-[16] to view its parameters

Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] OUTPUT
Set the OUTPUT SELECT = (By default, they all are set to L,R)

Other options include:

Bad_Mister - 08 October 2010 10:48 AM

L/R = the main stereo (system) output
asL/R = the analog 1/4” jacks on the back panel of the XF
FW1/2 = a stereo pair Motif XF 1/Motif XF 2
FW3/4
FW5/6
FW7/8
FW9/10
FW11/12
FW13/14
asL = the analog 1/4” jack on the back panel as mono
asR = the right analog 1/4” jack on the back panel as mono
FW1 = the mono Motif XF 1
FW2
FW14
Drum = individual Drums from within a drum kit Voice can be routed to an assignable output(s). When this is selected that routing is used.

So all but the asL, asR and asL/R are digital outputs available via FW. The main L/R is available both as analog and digital.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2011 @ 12:31 AM
metamorphis8
Joined  03-21-2011

Greeting M8M:

Thanks for clarifying the different editors available.

1. I installed the version that is not Cubase-reliant, (1.4 for Mac) and was able to set it up.

Having done this, I still have two (see below) unresolved issues for recording internal sequencer recordings into L9 as audio files. Following your advice, I have set the appropriate output channels, and confirmed that L9 is receiving the audio signal for each track (in this case a four part recording). When I play each track (prior to recording it), the sequencer plays the track with the arpeggio data, and L9 shows that it is tracking the audio (via the meters). However, when I record the internal sequencer performance, L9 is not picking up the arpeggio data. It records each sequencer track into a separate audio track, but the arp data is not present. When I play the L9 recording, the arp data is missing.

I have tried both Quick Setup #2 and #4, but the result is the same. I am using the XF editor to make the settings.

2. Issue #2:

When I attempt to set up a performance to record directly into L9, the XF editor doesn’t seem to have a setting for it. There is either the “voice” setting or the “song” setting in the XF editor. I can choose a single voice and the XF editor updates itself, or I can choose a song, and it does the same. But if I go to a performance (e.g Piano Boogie Woogie) the editor updates itself either to a single voice or to a previously recorded song.It does not recognize the new parameters of the performance I have called up.  How do I, using the editor, set up for recording a performance live into L9.

Thanks for your help as always.

SS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2011 @ 10:20 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

So, you attempting to do this via Performance mode… Hmmm, I do not use that mode at all but, I think you are going about it the hard way.

You are right that the Editor is designed for voice mode and Song / Pattern Mode so, it is not going to be of use to you as such. You can record Performances as songs, (not my area of expertise), and then record the song into Logic, which is going to be much simpler…

Bad_Mister describes how in this post… http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/454521/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2011 @ 10:57 PM
metamorphis8
Joined  03-21-2011

Hi:

Any thoughts on my first issue? I am trying to record saved songs from the internal sequencer into L9, but am having difficulty having the arps transfer over. Thanks.

SS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2011 @ 11:12 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
metamorphis8 - 14 June 2011 10:57 PM

Hi:

Any thoughts on my first issue? I am trying to record saved songs from the internal sequencer into L9, but am having difficulty having the arps transfer over. Thanks.

SS

I answered that, you need to record the performance into the XF’s sequencer before recording them into Logic per that link to Bad_Mister…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2011 @ 12:04 AM
metamorphis8
Joined  03-21-2011

No, you did not answer my first question. I’ve already done the sequencer recording, as I explained in my previous post (#1). I want l to get the recording from int. seq. into L9 using the FW16 and keep the arps intact. I am playing the previously recorded perf and I am recording it into L9 as audio track, but the arps don’t want to come along. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2011 @ 09:58 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I understood your post exactly. You’re having problems recording arps. The link to the post I gave you resolves that problem: direct record them into an XF song first from the XF’s song mode…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using SMF files in Logic 9
Next Topic:

motif xf midi controller ››