mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOx6 - Recording/Playback of MIDI Tracks from keyboard to Cubase"

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 05:29 PM
Rolandkeys88
Total Posts:  12
Joined  06-07-2011

Hi,

I hope I’m not being redundant, but I’m struggling sifting through all the manuals to get at what I’m trying to achieve - I’m trying to record my MOX6 songs and patterns into Cubase.  I’ve already recorded them into the MOx6.  I’ve recently installed the DAW, the drivers, etc.  Now, I’m trying to record them into Cubase as I play the tracks back from the MOX6

I’ve read that this integration process is simple, but I’m not finding this to be true in my case.

Can someone please summarize the setup/steps necessary to achieve my goal?  specifically, how do I set up the recording of each MIDI track? How do I get the Cubase playback to use the same sounds/settings from my patterns/songs? 

Thanks so much!!  This forum is a great resource.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 05:59 PM
MikeHuntingford
Total Posts:  758
Joined  11-22-2009

How are you connecting your keyboard to your PC?  Are you using an audio interface?  Are you using usb?  Are you using the audio outs from you keyboard into a soundboard in your PC?

Need this info in order to answer you question.  I use Cubase and RECORD and REASON to record my audio.

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 06:56 PM
Rolandkeys88
Joined  06-07-2011

Thank you Mike for your attention to this.

I’m connecting my MOx6 to my macBook via USB.  No audio interface.  Was not using the audio outs from the keyboard (my understanding was that this occurs with the USB cable - am I wrong here?).

RK

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 08:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We can certainly point you in the right direction. What we need from you is your ultimate goal. You say you have Songs and Patterns in the MOX that you want to move to Cubase.

This can mean many things.
Do you want to move the MIDI data into Cubase?
Do you want to record the MOX as audio into Cubase?
How do you envision using the data you have in the MOX in Cubase?

The USB connection between the MOX and your computer will handled 4 Channels of audio (two pairs of stereo) going from the MOX to your DAW, plus all of your MIDI communication.

There are simply too many ways to write them all, give us a general idea. Typically one way to work is to build a musical composition in the MOX, using PATTERNs… as you may know, Patterns can be directed to play in a specific order, called a Pattern Chain. A Pattern Chain can be converted to a linear SONG.

From this point moving data to Cubase could take different paths. You might want to simply record it as a stereo recording and then convert it to an MP3. You might want to transfer each PART (track by track) to separate audio tracks in Cubase, where you might add your friends and fellow musicians by overdubbing vocals, guitars, etc., etc.

You have to give us clue about which direction you want to take. I know the manual cannot be very helpful here. It was like the first time I sat and read a manual for large format recording console (back-in-the-day), it really doesn’t tell you want to do, it kind of lays out the tools and says “what cha wanna build?”

We can certainly get you started in the right direction but you have to be clear about MIDI or audio - the USB cable is capable of carrying both.

MIDI as you know makes no sound (it must be played to a tone generator which output audio).
AUDIO, of course, is what you hear.

Some people move the MIDI data to a DAW to use its graphic editing tools, it is a matter of choice.

Some people start printing audio tracks to their DAW, in this manner it allows you to build a recording with more than 16 track. Cubase AI that comes in the box can handle 48 Audio tracks!

Once you get started you will find that there is a real logic to it and it is know-able and it does get easier.

So how would you envision proceeding?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2011 @ 06:28 PM
Rolandkeys88
Joined  06-07-2011

Thanks for your questions.  Here’s what I’m doing:

recording patterns - chaining them, then converting them into Songs (all on the MOx6)

From here, I’d like to bring my Song’s MIDI tracks into Cubase on individual MIDI tracks so that I can do the following in Cubase :

1. further edit each MIDI track as needed. 
2. record additional tracks (audio or MIDI) apart from the MOxs (so either using plugins, or live instruments)
3. Mix the Cubase tracks
4. bounce the tracks in Cubase
5. Master the bounced tracks in Cubase or using some other software program

That’s it.  Hope this clarifies what I’m asking.

Oh, let me also clarify that I want my MIDI tracks in Cubase to use the MOx6 sounds as its sound source (want to keep the effects, etc that originated from the MOx6 song creation process).

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2011 @ 02:20 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Please see this article as a starting point
The answer seemed best supported by screen shots so it kind of developed into an article.

Thanks for the question.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2011 @ 03:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

4chSignalFlow.jpg

To wrap up the answer specifically. Any particular configuration can be modified to accommodate how ever you wish to proceed. You mentioned that you want keep the effects as they are. This requirement will cause you to route the signal a specific way.

The graphic above is the signal flow - you need to know that initially, all 16 PARTS are routed via the USB 3/4 and as you can see they utilize the SYSTEM and MASTER EFFECTS.

The A/D INPUT PART is initially set to the USB 1/2 Output bus.

The story this routing scheme tells is you can selectively re-route any (or all) of the internal synth PARTS to USB 1/2. This take the PART out of the main mix (out of the routing to the SYSTEM and MASTER EFFECTS) isolating on a separate bus.

Hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2011 @ 02:54 PM
Rolandkeys88
Joined  06-07-2011

This looks to be exactly what I’m looking for.  Thanks!  I’ll try it once I get home.

RK

[ Ignore ]