mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Setting up Motif XS6 in logic 8 environment"

Posted on: May 14, 2011 @ 11:52 PM
apizzle
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-13-2011

Here’s the deal, I want to setup the motif via midi cables utilizing the digi003 as a midi interface. I have made a configuration in AMS connected the virtual cables from the digi 003 to the motif device I’ve added. Inside of the Motif I have remote settings on logic and midi interface In/Out settings on MIDI. The problem is inside of logic’s environment I don’t understand how to set up the environment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2011 @ 01:06 PM
wango
Total Posts:  26
Joined  03-31-2011

In Logic’s Help, search for “external multi instrument”
Btw, I guess you know that you can connect the Motif via USB to your computer for midi communication (page 56 owner’s manual).

Ab

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2011 @ 01:10 PM
wango
Total Posts:  26
Joined  03-31-2011

Ooops, that page number is for the xf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2011 @ 12:18 AM
apizzle
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-13-2011

Thanks I was connecting my XS6 via usb but I keep getting some type of error. So I thought it would be easier to connect via midi cables

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2011 @ 02:11 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004
apizzle - 14 May 2011 11:52 PM

Here’s the deal, I want to setup the motif via midi cables utilizing the digi003 as a midi interface. I have made a configuration in AMS connected the virtual cables from the digi 003 to the motif device I’ve added. Inside of the Motif I have remote settings on logic and midi interface In/Out settings on MIDI. The problem is inside of logic’s environment I don’t understand how to set up the environment.

If you are going to use MIDI cables, setting the XS’ Remote to Logic is irrelevant. That functionality is only available via USB, as the Remote function requires it’s own seperate port. You simply cannot ‘port’ MIDI via MIDI cables.

For example, the XS provides 4 separate MIDI ports via USB. Port #1 is the port to used to transmit / receive MIDI In /Out between the XS and Logic (or, other DAW’s, of course); Port #2 for remote control of Logic; Port#3 is for MIDI Thru (will be outputted at the XS’s physical MIDI Out connector); Port #4 is for communicating with Studio Manager / XS Editor…

apizzle - 17 May 2011 12:18 AM

Thanks I was connecting my XS6 via usb but I keep getting some type of error. So I thought it would be easier to connect via midi cables

You need to determine exactly what kind of error and check back. Also, make sure you have the latest Yamaha USB Driver installed.

Finally, it is infinitely more efficient to utilize the XS Editor / Studio Manager software to manage voices, etc because it is instantly updateable to your current setup. If you alter a voice, voice name, voice location, load samples, etc… all of this and more can be transmitted to the XS Editor software and saved: even under the project name, if you so choose. Once you setup Logic’s environment, (and I assume it’s for the purpose of recalling voices), any and all changes to the voice names, locations, loading of new libraries, etc… must be manually updated which can become quite a chore.

I also note that while Logic can call up voices within the XS, the XS Editor software can also recall any ‘tweaks’ to those voices- be they EQ, effects settings, Volume, Pan, Insert Effects switch settings, etc… Far more useful…

Imho, it simply makes no sense to do it within Logic when a fully competent and more efficient librarian has been provided by the maufacturer…

[ Ignore ]