mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif xf 6 with FW16E board"

Posted on: April 13, 2011 @ 10:08 AM
wango
Total Posts:  26
Joined  03-31-2011

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and to the Motif and have some questions.
I use Logic 9 on a 2xQuad-Core Intel Mac - OSX.6.
Further hardware: MH ULN8-ULN2-2882 Audio interfaces and the FW16E
Unitor8 Midi interface
The audio interfaces work as an aggregate device within Logic.

1. Regarding the FW outputs of the FW16E:
When assigning a part to FW1/2 - 3/4 etc, the FX inserted to that part become inactive.
Only assigning to L/R will keep the FX intact. Is that correct or am I missing something?

What I understand from the manual is that L/R out is fixed to output L/mono-R and to FW1/2 out and that what is called FW1/2 is in fact FW3/4 etc. Correct?

2. When assigning midi I/O to FW, midi sync to MTC in the Motif and sending MTC from Logic via Motif Main,MTC is not correctly received by the Motif - PB stutters. Again, do I miss something?
It works fine when assigning midi I/O to MIDI and connecting the motif with a midi cable to the Unitor8 which leads me to my next question:

3. What would be the benefits of hooking up the Motif in terms of MIDI to FW or USB over
traditionally connecting with midi cables using the Unitor8?

And the last one for now:

The manual says that the Motif cannot generate MTC. Only receive.
Is the frame rate fixed to 30fps?

Thanks for your response.

Ab van Goor

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2011 @ 10:38 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When assigning a part to FW1/2 - 3/4 etc, the FX inserted to that part become inactive.
Only assigning to L/R will keep the FX intact. Is that correct or am I missing something?

That is partially correct. When you reroute a PART from its normal assignment to the main (system) L/R outputs, you do so to isolate it from the others and send it on a discreet audio bus so that you can record it separate from the others. Therefore it is completely logical that it is removed from the SYSTEM Effect, from the Master Effects, from the Master EQ and from the main (system) Outputs.

It does however go to the assignable (Direct) Output with its two INSERTION EFFECTS in tact. So while you remove it from the communal REVERB unit (which contains sends from all PARTS going to the SYSTEM output), it is removed from the communal CHORUS Effect… you still have access to the INSERTION EFFECT (which is a part of the VOICE).

What I understand from the manual is that L/R out is fixed to output L/mono-R and to FW1/2 out and that what is called FW1/2 is in fact FW3/4 etc. Correct?

If your DAW does not actually read the names of the 16 buses then this might seem like what is happening but in fact the Motif XF names these 16 output buses as follows

FW L/R
FW 1/2
FW 3/4
FW 5/6
FW 7/8
FW 9/10
FW 11/12
FW 13/14

If you can name the ports in your DAW you may want to do that… some DAWs are able to read the proper bus names… if yours cannot please realize that the first two are the main left/right output, and FW1 is actually the third one listed and the 16th one listed is FW14

As far as MTC (MTC is SMPTE time code designed to travel via MIDI) it requires SPP (Song Position Pointer) and the Motif XF can slave to it only in SONG mode. Unless you need to run the XF at a separate tempo from the DAW, we recommend you use standard MIDI clock… but that is up to you.

The benefit of using the Motif XF via USB or FW is these are multiple port MIDI interfaces. The Motif XF can communicate with your computer on separate MIDI ports
PORT 1 - for normal musical events and timing (note-ons, controllers, tempo, etc)
PORT 2 - for REMOTE CONTROL surface control of your selected DAW. The XF has templates for Logic, Sonar, Digital Performer, Cubase
PORT 3 - acts as an external MIDI interface via the 5-pin DIN jacks on the back panel
PORT 4- reserved for use with the Motif XF Editors

One of the fellow Motifator members (motif8mine) has posted a very extensive guide for setting up the XF with Logic - you can find it in the LOGIC forum heading here on Motifator.

Note: We moved your post here to the LOGIC forum as your questions are mainly concerning Logic

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2011 @ 08:01 PM
wango
Joined  03-31-2011

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

Best regards

Ab

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2011 @ 02:36 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

have you resolved your issues?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2011 @ 04:14 PM
wango
Joined  03-31-2011

Hello,

Thanks for asking. I still have a question regarding point 1 in the original post.

The only option to record a part including system FX to the DAW is to leave the routing
to L/R. Those system FX are not re-assignable through the insert slots A an B. Is that correct?

Thanks

Ab

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2011 @ 05:53 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Bad_Mister answered this. The FX inserted to that part ‘Do Not’ become inactive- the System Effects do… And, no… FW1/2 is not FW3/4. FWL/R, etc… refers to the FW16E Output designations within the XF and its editor. The Input Bus within Logic should simply read Input 1-2, 3-4, etc… To avoid confusion you can opt to manually name the Input Buses within Logic. With the XF connected to the XF and set to operate via the FW16E, within Logic go to Options> Audio> I/O Labels. Select the radio buttons for ‘User’ and give the Input Buses either a Long or Short name… Also, though I am not at my XS to check this right now, it maybe a shortcut to check the ‘Provided By Driver’ radio butto instead…

[ Ignore ]