mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need help with Motif XS8 and Logic Pro 9"

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 04:58 PM
maggieo
Total Posts:  12
Joined  01-05-2011

Hi,
I have a Motif XS8 and Logic Pro 9 on an IMAC.  I have the Motif connected to the IMAC with FW.

I have followed step by step numerous times the wonderful tutorial provided and everything comes up exactly as it should until......................this is what happens.

Please understand, I am not a technical person, simply a composer.  The Motif is new to me.

Okay.  What I’m trying to do is record the Motif into Logic.

Problem one:

I have no problems setting up anything due to the tutorial.  The problem I have is that when I try to play the motif, I get this very strange clicking sound with every note I play.  I’ve tried and tried to figure this out.  I can actually record, but the clicking sound gets in the way.  When I play back what I’ve recorded, the clicking sound is not recorded. 

Problem two:
When I first start to record, I get this extremely loud note played that goes on and on for several bars before it dissipates.  Then every time I use the mouse, I get this strange little notes sound.  I don’t know any way to explain this. 

But I have to tell you, when I start to record, I cringe waiting for the huge sounding note that makes me jump every time.

Problem 3:  Where in the world is the place where I make the Motif a slave.

Problem 4:  I cannot for the live of me find the last Figure#16 to set up the tracks.

Problem 5:  Last but not least, and it was mentioned in the tutorial.  Say I play a piano on track one.  When I go to track 2, to try and play the cello, I get a piano so on and so on.

Now, last night somehow I got the cello to come up, when I went back to track one, guess what?  I got the cello.

I am under some time stress here as I’m under contract to do some work.  Can anyone jump in here and help me out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 08:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It sounds to me you have your MIDI routing improperly setup. As I do not really know Logic and its setup, I would start with checking your MIDI connections and routing situation.

You mention you are recording into Logic but at no time to you mention if you are recording MIDI Tracks or AUDIO tracks… of course this makes a difference.

You need to select the appropriate QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP template in the Motif XS for what you are doing:

You should set the Motif XS in SEQUENCER mode - that is select [SONG] or [PATTERN] mode - these are the modes where the Motif XS is multi-timbral and can receive data on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously (thus the name SEQUENCER modes). IN order to assign Piano to PART 1 and Strings to PART 2, you need to be in SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING mode.

Press [SEQ SETUP]
Press [F3] QUICK
You have four different quick setup templates each makes 6 critical MIDI routing situations for you based on what you might be doing.

For example, if you are using Logic for your MIDI recording you would select QUICK SETUP #3: RECORDING ON COMPUTER > press [ENTER]

The six setting are shown on the screen (at left), your current settings are in the middle column and how they will be changed is shown on the right. This takes care of LOCAL CONTROL, MIDI SYNC, etc., etc.

Hope that helps.

If you cannot get LOGIC to work for you, you can simply record your data into the MOTIF XS itself (just a thought)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 09:30 AM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

I’m excited because I so admire you and have read almost everything you’ve ever posted on this site.  I’m honored that you took the time to answer me.

I will print out your instructions and let you know if this helps or not.

Oh and by the way, the thought did occur to me to just record on the Motif, but with Multiple Sclerosis and certain problems with my hands, I tend to perform not as well as I once did.  The correcting processing on the Motif seems arduous, wherby correcting from Logic is much quicker for me.

Here is a link to my work using a different Yamaha keyboard,
http://www.indabamusic.com/#!/people/magdalenaobert

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 10:06 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, I responded to this thread Sunday afternoon but, I don’t see it here… hmmm

Anyway, you are going to have to do some troubleshooting. And, really go through the setup again meticulously. Also, there is not enough detail to identify what is going on… but…

Problem one:

I have no problems setting up anything due to the tutorial.  The problem I have is that when I try to play the motif, I get this very strange clicking sound with every note I play.  I’ve tried and tried to figure this out.  I can actually record, but the clicking sound gets in the way.  When I play back what I’ve recorded, the clicking sound is not recorded.

The clicking sound during recording: is it possibly the metronome you are referring to? Are you attempting to record audio or MIDI? And, are you certain that you have selected the proper track within Logic? Can you hear the clicking when you are not playing the keyboard? Check you metronome settings- Toolbar> Settings> Metronome> MIDI Port and turn it to ‘Off’…

Problem two:
When I first start to record, I get this extremely loud note played that goes on and on for several bars before it dissipates.  Then every time I use the mouse, I get this strange little notes sound.  I don’t know any way to explain this.

But I have to tell you, when I start to record, I cringe waiting for the huge sounding note that makes me jump every time.

Again, have you selected the right track within Logic? See my ‘Observations’ under #12 of the Tutorial…

Problem 3:  Where in the world is the place where I make the Motif a slave.

Bad_Mister mentions it above but #2, and #13 of the MOTIF XS, MLAN & LOGIC PRO 9 Tutorial deal with XS settings in terms of making it the slave…

Problem 4:  I cannot for the live of me find the last Figure#16 to set up the tracks.

Figure 16 is at the top of page 6…

Problem 5:  Last but not least, and it was mentioned in the tutorial.  Say I play a piano on track one.  When I go to track 2, to try and play the cello, I get a piano so on and so on.

You can turn off the following setting- Toolbar> Settings> MIDI> General> Send After Loading Project> Used instrument MIDI Settings… and make sure it is set to off… Also, check here: Toolbar> Preferences> MIDI> Reset Messages… and, make sure to uncheck the ‘Send Used Instrument Settings On Reset’…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 04:58 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

I typed a very long response step by step and safari crashed on me when I was trying to upload pictures.  Sigh.  I will try again.  Please don’t go anywhere as I am really do need help as soon as I figure out how you all upload the darn pictures.

But to make things short.  The clicking sound is gone.  It wasn’t the metronome although it sounds like it.  It did not continue to play when I quit playing.  The settings are all correct and I went through your responses and checked them off as I went along.  With one exception.  I changed the monitoring which was deselected to select.  Now I get no audio whatsoever.  Tried going back to the old setting still no audio.

I record midi and import audio.  I work with muscians internationally and import their audio whereby I add to them or change them etc.....  So I do both.

I have had this Motif for 4 months now and am unable toget it working correctly.  Regarding Logic and you’re asking me about being on the right track etc....I’ve worked with Logic for about 9 years.  I know Logic, I know tracks. 

Regarding the slave issue.  You keep referring me to the tutorial.  The tutorial tells you what buttons to push in utilities and sequencers but it doesn’t state where the slave is unless by just following the instructions it makes it a slave, then that’s been done.  There is no specific mention of slave. 

Regarding the selecting audio tracks, you refer me to a picture.  I know where the picture is already.  That wasn’t my question.  I asked where to find this on the computer not what page it was on.

Here is where I stand.  I do record midi.  I’m trying to hear an audio track that I imported.  It does not play music.  I have input and output according to the transport bar when playing.  I hear no music due to the change I made as you suggested.  Not even the loud banging notes are playing now.  Up until I made that change, although the clicking sound was gone, I was still getting that crazy loud chord sound and then the additional little notes playing every time I moved around in logic. 

The audio setup is correct.  FW shows up where it should.  I need to upload the darn pictures to see if you can spot the problem.  I will try again.  Thank you kindly for your help, but please understand, it is only the Motif that is new to me.....not Logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 05:31 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Regarding the selecting audio tracks, you refer me to a picture.  I know where the picture is already.  That wasn’t my question.  I asked where to find this on the computer not what page it was on.

It is a picture of the Studio Manager - XS Editor… You can do it, howbeit with more difficulty, by doing the following:

Bad_Mister - 04 January 2010 01:49 PM

SONG mode
Press [MIXING] > [EDIT]
Press a Track Select button to select a PART 1-16
Press [F1] VOICE > [SF2] OUTPUT
Highlight the “OUTPUT SELECT” parameter
Press [SF6] LIST
Here you can scroll down the list and see all the output assignment potential… all those that start with the letter “m” are digital outputs found on the mLAN16E2… as you can see there are 14 assignable mLAN16E2 output, plus, of course, the main L/R output (which is available digitially as well).

now, regarding:

I’m trying to hear an audio track that I imported.  It does not play music.  I have input and output according to the transport bar when playing.  I hear no music due to the change I made as you suggested.

Do you have your XS connected to an amp or mixer with powered speakers?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 05:56 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

My XS is only connected to the computer.  I listen to it through headphones.  Thank you for your patience

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 06:11 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Again, if you are attempting to record audio from the XS into Logic, the XS acts as your sound card. In which case, connect your headphones to the XS…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 06:13 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

Again, I already have my headphones connected to the XS as stated above.

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 06:17 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

Something I’ve noticed just now.  When I check the environment and the mixer comes up, why are all the tracks set to audio and not the tracks with the instruments?

Also, there was mention of pressing the 0 underneath the fader to set output?  I don’t get that!  I never see a 0 or circle or whatever it is.  Could that be the problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 06:20 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

One more thing...I’m a little confused when you keep mentioning audio recording.  The only audio I record is my vocals.  the rest I do on my keyboard and I’m assuming that is midi.  the only other audio I use is imported from other musicians, which is downloaded from the net as either wav files or mp3s.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 06:34 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

I think I discovered this catcher program on my Mac which I’ve never needed before.  It’s a nifty little gadget.  Let’s see if I can upload a couple of pictures to get started.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 06:41 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

/Users/magdalenaobert/Desktop/motif1.tiff/Users/magdalenaobert/Desktop/Motif2.tiff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 06:41 PM
maggieo
Joined  01-05-2011

Sheesh, I have no time to play with uploading pictures.....sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 08:15 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
maggieo - 11 April 2011 06:17 PM

Something I’ve noticed just now.  When I check the environment and the mixer comes up, why are all the tracks set to audio and not the tracks with the instruments?

Also, there was mention of pressing the 0 underneath the fader to set output?  I don’t get that!  I never see a 0 or circle or whatever it is.  Could that be the problem?

Sorry, I’m not following this at all. I’m not seeing what you are references in the environment. And, I mentioned clicking on the circular icon beneath the fader to toggle audio tracs between mono, stereo and surround. Is that what you are referring to?

maggieo - 11 April 2011 06:20 PM

One more thing...I’m a little confused when you keep mentioning audio recording.  The only audio I record is my vocals.  the rest I do on my keyboard and I’m assuming that is midi.  the only other audio I use is imported from other musicians, which is downloaded from the net as either wav files or mp3s.

Yeah see, i need to get a very clear idea of what you are trying to do. While MIDI is carried via the mLAN connection, it does not require the audio routing that is necessary for audio recording. I’m also confused as to how you are finishing projects. If you have people sending you audio files, and you are recording in MIDI, how do you come upon a final product? Or, are you sending files back to them? It matters in the end. because while that tutorial deals with MIDI, it is primarily for the recording of Motif XS or XF audio into Logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 08:18 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

To post pictures, instead of using ‘fast reply’ use ‘post reply’. Use the ‘choose file’ button to navigate to your file, select it and click the ‘choose’ button. If more than one, select the ‘preview’ button and repeat as necessary before submitting..

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ RE: Motif xf8 with logic(USB)
Next Topic:

Motif xf 6 with FW16E board ››