mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase 5 pending when initialising Midi Device Manager"

Posted on: September 22, 2010 @ 09:04 AM
polke
Total Posts:  80
Joined  08-28-2002

Configuration :
PC -Windows XP- Cubase Studio 5.1-USB connected to Motif Classic

The last days I could not start-up Cubase Studio 5, which worked before.
It is pending when it comes to “Midi Device Manager”.
I have reinstalled Cubase Studio 5---same problem.
Cubase Studio 4 works aside of it without problems.
So, I suppose something is wrong within Cubase 5.

Looking in the Cubase.net forum I discovered that I am not alone, but could not find a decent solution.
Some members propose to drop the application folder or to reinstall completely (Windows XP, all programs,...)

Before I start this drastic method I would ask if anyone had a similar problem here.

Thanks
Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2010 @ 12:05 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Paul,
Just a few thoughts about your problem. First, you mention that “Cubase Studio 5, which worked before”. If it worked before, why do you now feel it’s to blame for the problem? Normally a program doesn’t suddenly stop working for no good reason. Id before inclined to have a look at what happened at the time it suddenly stopped working, and certainly not feel an urgent need to reinstall it unless I was certain I’d somehow corrupted it.
The fact it stops when it comes to Device Manager might suggest to some that you have a problem with one of your connected devices or a driver. Have you tries disconnecting your Motif and any other “devices” and disabling their drivers to see if that makes a difference. Also, is there anything you can think of that you changed recently that would have affected Cubase, such as the Yamaha driver? What driver version are you using? Do you have Restore Point saved, which you could use to return everything ‘Windows’ back to when things were working?. In addition, you really should have updated your software to version 5.5 by now as well. For the update, go here . Make sure you download 5.5 first and not 5.5.1.

In any case I certainly would not recommend doing a completely reinstall of your o/s etc. unless you get to a point where you are absolutely sure something is seriously wrong with your system, or unless it’s been a few years since you loaded the o/s originally. I’d definitely look at other things first.....frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2010 @ 12:51 PM
polke
Joined  08-28-2002

Indeed, I had problems last week with different versions of my Kontakt-player.
I have installed Kontakt 4 on my PC, but 1 year ago I installed two libraries from East-West with engine Kontakt 2 (I think customised for their products).
Two weeks ago I could not find them in Cubase 5 as VST instruments.
Here I was too fast and could not take the time to analyse the problem.
I have reinstalled the first library “String Essentials” and then I found the Kontakt player again. To reinstall the 2nd library “Complete Classical Collection” did not work well (error...).

Tonight I will first disconnect the motif and see if this was the problem.
If not, I can look into this kontakt version problem and delete perhaps the other versions. I have to check also where the 2 libraries are. As far as I remember they should work as stand-alone also.

If I cannot find them I should make a restore to 3 weeks ago. Then everything worked well.

The Kontakt versions and the “Kontakt Customised Engine” were confusing me and mixed up in the past (I preferred to keep Kontakt 4 as well for other libraries).
Indeed, I have to reconstruct the sequence of what I changed the last weeks.
Frank, thanks for your guideline.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 05:17 AM
polke
Joined  08-28-2002

Did a virus scan with AVG and there is the problem !
Could not clean everything, so I put the rest in “quarantaine”.
I am afraid that this will be not sufficient.

I did a restore to the end of august.
I could find the libraries, but when I started Cubase 5 it stopped with “could not load GUI resources”.
Also Cubase Studio 4 could not be started.

Today I will investigate if the virus can be killed, but I am afraid that some files are corrupted...Which means that I will have to start the big job : reinstall everything !

Some other advice ? I can take some big risks now before I format the HD....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2010 @ 01:00 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re. virus and anti spam programs etc., suggest you may wish to consider “ESET NOD 32” for the future. Once your system is compromised it may be difficult now to clean it up entirely without a complete wipe of the hard drive. Sometimes systems can be cleaned, but sometimes they are never the same. It may actually be less time consuming and less frustrating to start from scratch now, than to continue to try and repair. If using a Restore point didn’t solve the problem after cleaning then obviously problems still exist. Your call though.

Also, if your system has the specs, it might be a good time to move to new technology and install Windows 7. XP was an excellent o/s, but time marches on, and you will have better success in the future if you move forward now. Definitely update your Cubase install to 5.5 as well when you do sort out the problems........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Piano echoed when hitting the Monitor button
Next Topic:

Cubase4/ eLicense Problem. ››