mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How Long Before an XF Rack"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: September 13, 2010 @ 06:41 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005
GospelMusicians - 13 September 2010 04:58 PM
motif8mine - 13 September 2010 11:50 AM

Multi-track recording of the XS8 into Logic: audio and MIDI. Streaming Logic’s output through the XS during our service’s and combining it with the XS output, with either pre-recorded background vocals, software instruments, Symphonic Instrument, Trilian, Scarbee Jay-Bass, etc…

Dude we need to talk. Your the first gospel cat I know to use all of the technology. I, too, am running tracks from Logic and using Mainstage to Layer sounds with my ES8 as well as playing backing tracks.

Why would you need to run Logic back through tour XS live?

another reason has something to do with what someone was talking about in another thread. 

you can then commit those tracks to audio then you can still have your 8 insert effects to use in your XS/XF.  So once you have the tracks sounding exactly like you want them to sound then you just record the actual audio into Logic, then you can “re-allocate” your resources in your Motif (effects, parts, etc...)

Gospel Musician, were you talking to me or motif8mine, bout talking… I mentioned I was a church/gospel musician too.  Just making sure. 

Peace

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2010 @ 06:52 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

another reason has something to do with what someone was talking about in another thread. 

you can then commit those tracks to audio then you can still have your 8 insert effects to use in your XS/XF.  So once you have the tracks sounding exactly like you want them to sound then you just record the actual audio into Logic, then you can “re-allocate” your resources in your Motif (effects, parts, etc...)

Apex, thanks for reminding me. That was my post and that in fact is the other reason I use mLAN to ‘stream’ audio back through the XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2010 @ 06:57 PM
GospelMusicians
Total Posts:  336
Joined  08-26-2010
motif8mine - 13 September 2010 06:03 PM

Dude we need to talk. Your the first gospel cat I know to use all of the technology. I, too, am running tracks from Logic and using Mainstage to Layer sounds with my ES8 as well as playing backing tracks.

Partly for the same reason you mentioned in a video I saw: running stems back through with the added flexibility of mixing them individually in Logic. So, I can still control the individual parts volumes, effects, eq, etc…

Oh I see! You know you can just set your XS to remote mode and control the volume through midi rather than running the audio back through the motif....or is that what you are doing and I’m confusing things?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2010 @ 10:00 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Okay remember,mLAN serves as my audio card. So, I have the option of either playing Logic’s output through it, or my Fast Track Pro. Using the XS not only allows me to use the Remote Function, it frees up my USB slots on the MBP for other things. I also like the XS drums: particularly the Ocean’s Way and Yamaha Oak Custom kit from the XSpand Your World Content but the bass drum gets lost in the mix. I have edited the drums for multioutput and can routed them into Logic as an External Instrument. In Logic I can group them- cymbals, snares, toms, etc… mix them separately and add effects particularly compressing the bass drum to make it ‘punch’.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2010 @ 11:06 AM
GospelMusicians
Joined  08-26-2010
motif8mine - 14 September 2010 10:00 AM

Okay remember,mLAN serves as my audio card. So, I have the option of either playing Logic’s output through it, or my Fast Track Pro. Using the XS not only allows me to use the Remote Function, it frees up my USB slots on the MBP for other things. I also like the XS drums: particularly the Ocean’s Way and Yamaha Oak Custom kit from the XSpand Your World Content but the bass drum gets lost in the mix. I have edited the drums for multioutput and can routed them into Logic as an External Instrument. In Logic I can group them- cymbals, snares, toms, etc… mix them separately and add effects particularly compressing the bass drum to make it ‘punch’.

You may have completely sold me on the XF, just because of this feature. You are sooo right as I have to always change the volume on my interface or using midi control, but your option would give ne way better control over mixing the levels.

Now do you do all of this live in Voice, Performance, Pattern, or Song Mode?

I’m assuming the FW16e will allow me to do the same thing, but to be honest if I get the XF, I will have converted my fav VSTs to the Flash and just use my Logic to play backing tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2010 @ 12:03 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

90% percent of everything I do is in Song Mode. The other 10%, I’m just playing live solo piano or using MainStage…

The FW16E does have the exact capabilities of mLAN. I don’t know that they’ve been very specific on the difference. Perhaps, it has a little higher quality, I would assume…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2010 @ 12:34 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005
GospelMusicians - 14 September 2010 11:06 AM
motif8mine - 14 September 2010 10:00 AM

You may have completely sold me on the XF, just because of this feature. You are sooo right as I have to always change the volume on my interface or using midi control, but your option would give ne way better control over mixing the levels.

I’m assuming the FW16e will allow me to do the same thing, but to be honest if I get the XF, I will have converted my fav VSTs to the Flash and just use my Logic to play backing tracks.

GM that would take quite some time to convert a VST patch to be used on the XF… why not just use midi and the laptop (since you will have it for the backing tracks anyway) The new mainstage (v2) incorporates the use of audio tracks in a mainstage session.  You just set up an auxillary strip and input the audio track. 

Here’s a link to a little info on it on their website.  It’s the “Sound Bigger Than Ever” section

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/mainstage/

You can also watch this tutorial on youtube.  The guy goes into detail about how it works (with mainstage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUGuInPvdqk

I hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2010 @ 03:00 PM
neiljohnstonii
Total Posts:  26
Joined  03-09-2004
GospelMusicians - 13 September 2010 12:14 AM

Yea, I just need a super rompler on steroids!

Have you considered the Muse Research Receptor?  From hearing your needs on the forum, this could be a solution for you.  I have been thinking about one for quite some time myself and the Receptor 2 has come down in price.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2010 @ 06:56 PM
jxsbebop
Total Posts:  191
Joined  08-06-2010

GospelMusicians, I think you can do on your Motif ES with a mLAN16E what motif8mine is doing on his Motif XS with his mLAN16E2.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2010 @ 07:13 PM
GospelMusicians
Joined  08-26-2010
jxsbebop - 15 September 2010 06:56 PM

GospelMusicians, I think you can do on your Motif ES with a mLAN16E what motif8mine is doing on his Motif XS with his mLAN16E2.

I have no problem with sampling as I can do that well and I have all the software to do it!

I think I may save the money and opt for an XS instead.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2010 @ 07:15 PM
jxsbebop
Joined  08-06-2010

Sampling?  Are we still talking about the mLAN card?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2010 @ 11:19 PM
GospelMusicians
Joined  08-26-2010
jxsbebop - 15 September 2010 06:56 PM

Actually that is a good idea. I have 3-Expansion boards, 1GB Ram. Maybe the mLan16e will give me that final satisfaction I need.

Let me look online to make sure I can use it with the new OSX and work the same way.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2010 @ 11:38 PM
GospelMusicians
Joined  08-26-2010

Well after reading, Yamaha has discontinued support for the mLAN16e and is not even supported by OSX Snow Leopard. So hmmm......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2010 @ 04:35 AM
jxsbebop
Joined  08-06-2010

That’s right the mLAN16E card isn’t support on Windows 7 and Snow Leopard.  I didn’t think of that.

I’m still on Windows XP.

I guess if you’re looking to upgrade, you might as well go for the XF.  Flash memory isn’t cheap though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2010 @ 04:38 AM
jxsbebop
Joined  08-06-2010

Retail for fully maxing out a Motif XF is an extra $900...ouch...but to be fair to Yamaha, no other board on the market has 2 GB of flash memory....

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Transfer of work from xf to xs
Next Topic:

Loading the new XF Arp’s ››