mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Current XS Owner Wanting to Upgrade…Which One"

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 09:05 PM
JCT
Total Posts:  91
Joined  07-04-2009

Okay so I hate to start another thread, but want some advice.  I owned a Motif XS8, and sold it a while back due to the size/weight.  I purchased the XS6 about 3 months ago (decked it out of course), but now am finding I should have just kept the XS8.  So my plan is to either get an XS7/8 or possibly since I am doing the upgrade anyways, XF7/8.  Here is how I use it:

I own several aftermarket sound sets, all containing some samples, which I load into memory via USB.  I play them live basically.  Shortly I plan to use sequencing to play back tracks while also playing live.  As with everyone, I strive for a great piano sound, so I bought the Steinway sample for the XS (big one).  That’s it.

So from my reading if I wasn’t already planning on changing the “size” of the board, I probably would be best to stick with the XS (the loading upon startup really doesn’t bother me).  But obviously since I am selling the XS6 and rebuying, would I be best to just get another XS, or get the XF?  One note, I think all the sound sets I have for the XS work with the XF, but if I am mistaken that would be a deal breaker anyways.  Looking the sequencer/polyphony is basically the same, so no major change there.  Is the added piano soundest in the XF a worthwhile upgrade to the Steinway add on I have?

Thanks for any help...my gut is telling me to grab a XS at a closeout deal (I prefer the blue/silver anyways), but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything major.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 09:49 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Personally, I’d go with the new one. I like the flash memory, black finish, added USER banks, newer piano + all the enhancements we don’t know about deep inside the machine that were learned over the 3 years with the XS on the market.

Just another opinion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 10:29 PM
JCT
Joined  07-04-2009

All good points.  Since I posted I have been looking at the XS...they are hardly being discounted anyways even though they are on clearance.  Anyone know if the XS sounds will work on the XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2010 @ 10:47 PM
SirJoseph
Total Posts:  199
Joined  03-06-2008

ALL voice libraries AND PROJECTS you have created on the XS WILL load up flawlessly in the XF. Its essentially the SAME board, just with SOME upgrades/downgrades. You should have NO problem at all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2010 @ 12:48 AM
Ruke
Total Posts:  226
Joined  07-22-2003

Buy my XS 8

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2010 @ 12:25 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003
SpongeBob - 21 August 2010 09:49 PM

Personally, I’d go with the new one. I like the flash memory, black finish, added USER banks, newer piano + all the enhancements we don’t know about deep inside the machine that were learned over the 3 years with the XS on the market.

Just another opinion.

I have to agree with SpongeBob. For “live”, my primary use, I really will appreciate the access on Power Up to my specifics. I may get the XS as well since the price is going down. I can still use the properties for home projects and will “bridge” my understanding from the ES I’m still playing and having fun with, to the XF.

Then again, I’m a Yammie and love the gear.
Yet another point of view.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2010 @ 07:11 PM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006
SirJoseph - 21 August 2010 10:47 PM

Its essentially the SAME board, just with SOME upgrades/downgrades. You should have NO problem at all.

bingo, was his name…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2010 @ 08:19 PM
JCT
Joined  07-04-2009

All good information....more I think about it the XF series is probably better since I am going through the trouble.  I am hoping the display is better (I also have a Korg M3 and that display, regardless of being touchscreen, is much easier to read in a variety of lighting conditions.  From the screenshots I see I hope that is the case with the XF.

Appreciate your help guys!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2010 @ 08:25 PM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

In my case I will stick to my XS7 which I have already spended quite some money in it. I bought it two years ago thinking to keep it for at least 5 years, I still have lots of things to learn from it. I decided for the XS7 because is not as big and heavy as the XS8, I can play piano range in it and take it anywhere I want.

The flash thing from the XF plus other features is great improvement but I’m not going to switched to it just for that.

If money is not problem for you, then go for the XF. If it is, then stick to your XS6.

[ Ignore ]