mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Won’t be buying a new Yamaha synthesizer…"

Posted on: August 04, 2010 @ 01:45 PM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

...until they make one with polyhonic aftertouch.

Scott in Ohio

ES8
SY99
CS-40M
KX-5

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2010 @ 02:29 PM
ZombieRaider
Total Posts:  291
Joined  04-03-2006

Me either....Flash loading is very inticing but would cost me about $1500 in my estimates which is too much just for that option....Double the sound ROM is not very exciting to me because it’s probably the same sound designers work which means just more of the same....Don’t get me wrong, I think the sound is phenominal and the biggest reason I got a Yamaha but it comes back to the sound would be more of the same....I think they should find someone else to do the drums because they are too sterile with no punch and sound like the Alesis sounds only with variations but still way too sterile....The more Yamaha can get different 3rd party sound developers involved the more different the sound pallette would be and would help this flash thing take off...Someone like Native Instruments offering soundpacks would really be exciting to me anyway.....ZR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2010 @ 03:03 PM
miket156
Total Posts:  148
Joined  06-28-2004

Yeah, polyphonic after touch, nice idea. But the implementation of it in a 128 voice workstation is not as simple as you might think.

If you’re not thrilled with the factory sounds, the XF flash card storage space allows you buy what you want, load it up, and go to work.

I’m not sure why you’re complaining.

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2010 @ 07:34 PM
WesEXer
Total Posts:  336
Joined  10-29-2003
miket156 - 04 August 2010 03:03 PM

Yeah, polyphonic after touch, nice idea. But the implementation of it in a 128 voice workstation is not as simple as you might think.

If you’re not thrilled with the factory sounds, the XF flash card storage space allows you buy what you want, load it up, and go to work.

I’m not sure why you’re complaining.

Mike T.

I think the ability to load the new sounds is awesome. That said, I never thought the “Sound” dept is where the Motif needed work. The XS was already head and shoulders above the rest with a few small exceptions. I’m quite curious to see what changes have been made OS wise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 12:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Won’t be buying a new Yamaha synthesizer...until they make one with polyhonic aftertouch.

Yamaha CS80 circa 1977 where were you? It was the first one with polyphonic aftertouch…

Yamaha CS80 info

pressure sensitivity per key

You want new or do you want old? :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 02:48 AM
ZombieRaider
Joined  04-03-2006
miket156 - 04 August 2010 03:03 PM

I’m not sure why you’re complaining. Mike T.

I think the factory sounds are great for the most part...Just not crazy about the drums....I agree the flash is a great way to add different sounds and that’s where I think Yamaha needs to work with as many 3rd party developers as they can....In my other post, re-reading it...It kind of sounds like I’m suggesting they need to get as many 3rd party developers as they can to work on the ROM sounds and that’s not what I mean’t...Just wanted to clarify....ZR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 03:30 AM
miket156
Joined  06-28-2004

Well Zombie, there can always be “improvements”. And as time goes on and new products and sounds become available, what we have now may not sound as up-to-date as whats available right now.

I remember reading a post by a KB player that was in a worship band. He said the Choirs in the MOTIF ES were “terrible”. I thought they were fine for my purposes, but I don’t play in a worship band, I play classic rock so choirs aren’t all that important to me.

So different players are going to have going to have different criteria than others because their application is different.

I have a problem with everyone expecting everything THEY want in the new XF, for their work flow and at the price THEY feel is acceptable, apparently based on their credit card balance instead of what it actually costs to produce.

I am sure there are going to be things about the XF I will not love, but after 6 years of regular use of my ES8, the XF is a significant upgrade to an existing workstation class board that sounds great and has been 100% reliable.

My biggest problem is finding the $$$ to buy one.

Cheers,

Mike T,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 04:02 AM
ZombieRaider
Joined  04-03-2006
miket156 - 05 August 2010 03:30 AM

I have a problem with everyone expecting everything THEY want in the new XF, for their work flow and at the price THEY feel is acceptable, apparently based on their credit card balance instead of what it actually costs to produce.
My biggest problem is finding the $$$ to buy one.
Cheers,
Mike T,

This is a forum so of course we are going to say what we’d like to see in the new board, sometimes in our own strong way:)...Some of it is totally unrealistic and makes me smile while others are legit gripes, so I think anyway....I also don’t see a problem with discussing the price because we are back again to the forum thing...I actually found the thread about the board replacement interesting....Kind of reminded me of my old Ensoniq VFX when they’d send a chip out to upgrade it to the next level for a certain price...Sure this is a whole board we’re talking about now but I still found it interesting...Not everyone bases everything on credit card balances...I quit playing that game several years ago by paying them off and saving money....I’d actually not have much of a problem coming up with $3000 at the moment but the fact is THAT’S ALOT OF MONEY to part with!...I personally don’t feel that it’s worth it for what’s being offered and it’s OK if you do but we are both entitled to our opinion....Of course when it hit’s the stores and I try it out, I could absolutely change my mind but right now, it’s a no....ZR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 06:44 AM
Wilton
Total Posts:  735
Joined  04-03-2004
ZombieRaider - 04 August 2010 02:29 PM

...Flash loading is very inticing but would cost me about $1500 in my estimates

I thought the flash expansions were like $150 and $300 respectively. How are you coming up with these numbers?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 06:57 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

Like this I would imagine:

(Cost of new XF) - (money for selling existing XS) + $600 for flash options.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2010 @ 02:21 PM
ZombieRaider
Joined  04-03-2006

Thanks Df...That’s exactly how I had it figured....I can’t imagine the new ROM itself would be that dramatically different to make it a worthwhile purchase without the flash option either....Just more of the same that’s in the XS....That is the same for every keyboard manufacture though, I’m not just picking on Yamaha...I could be wrong and it will sound dramatically different but I’m probably not....It’s not that I don’t like the internal ROM (it’s the best IMO)....I just don’t need more of the same of what’s there already...That makes the flash option the biggest selling point to me...I guess we’ll see when it hits the stores....ZR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2010 @ 02:24 AM
miket156
Joined  06-28-2004

Yamaha posted some of the new sounds that will come with the XF that was not on the XS in an earlier thread. A stock XF will have more than 4 times as much in ROM than my ES8, without even taking into consideration that we can purchase up to 2GB of Flash cards too.

Mike T.

[ Ignore ]