mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Quick question about my stage setup.."

Posted on: March 05, 2010 @ 03:46 PM
phurd
Total Posts:  76
Joined  10-22-2008

Most of my experience is in my home studio and I’m not very experienced with stage set-up’s so bare with me.

On stage I run a left/mono out of my XS to the main mixer and play mono out of the P.A. I also run a line out from the right to a personal monitor.

After reading another post here on the forum, I get the impression that this may be incorrect.

Am I losing anything in sound quality and, because I’m using the right out, is the XS treating this less as a mono signal and more as a split stereo signal? Would it be better to have a personal mixer with me, i.e. mono out to the mixer, then a line out to the main board and a mon out to my monitor?

The way I’ve been doing it seems to sound OK but I’m wondering if my sound would be better using a personal mixer instead.

Thanks,
Patrick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2010 @ 07:19 PM
milari
Total Posts:  179
Joined  01-25-2009

My advice is that live on stage, stereo is not important because the musicians create that perception by where they stand in he room. It is more important that you hear yourself and others clearly so you can keep time and tune. Leave the mixing to the sound man, that is his job. In large arenas stereo goes out the window.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2010 @ 07:20 PM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

Hey Patrick,

If you’re running mono, then the left/mono out is the best choice to the mains/PA.  However, your sound would be better in stereo. 

Not sure how many keyboards you run, but even for a single keyboard like the XS, I would run stereo to the mixing console and get a monitor channel back for yourself.

I play with multiple boards, so I have a small 6 channel mixer. One output goes to powered monitors (2 of them - I love stereo) and the other L/R output goes to the mixer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2010 @ 11:22 PM
phurd
Total Posts:  76
Joined  10-22-2008

I normally run mono to the board from my left output. But, I also run the right output on my XS to my monitor. I guess what I need to know is should I run mono (left out only) into a personal mixer “first” before the main board and monitor? That way I can run a line from my mixer to the main board and a line out from the mixer to my monitor. All being in true mono.

What Im concerned about is, by using both the right and left outputs on the XS, Im not really running mono. Im running stereo with the main board getting the left half of the signal and the monitor getting the right half. Would a personal mixer before the main board sound better?

I should also add that some of the venues we play are pretty big so, although I prefer stereo, it doesn’t work as well when the speakers are so far apart and the crowd is so spread out. Also, I use two keyboards on stage but one is used as a MIDI controller so I only need to run sound from the XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2010 @ 09:56 AM
Bif
Total Posts:  774
Joined  08-18-2003

Patrick,

You are correct in your last post. If you want mono out, don’t connect anything to right output. You really don’t want to run with half the stereo output only going to the mains. Bad sound will happen.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ My Foot Pedal Has Feet - Any Suggestions?
Next Topic:

band web site support ››