mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can I edit without storing?"

Posted on: February 13, 2010 @ 05:10 PM
wolfetho
Total Posts:  10
Joined  12-06-2005

Hello:

I have a Motif Rack using USB. My two questions-
First of all, when I’m editing in Multi mode, I can’t seem to
monitor(hear) my edits without switching back to
Digital Performer each time to hear the changes.How can I monitor
my edits in the Multi editor, playing my controller (Korg Kontrol 49) outside of DP?It seems I have to be in DP with the midi track
enabled for the Motif rack.If I switch over to the multi mixer window, I can no longer hear the Motif when I play the Korg controller.

My second question:
I’m trying to edit the Performance
called Utopia. I’m able to do this using the multi mixer.
This is fine, but to hear the results I have to switch back to Digital Performer. What is happening is everytime I rewind the sequence to listen to the changes, the Performance reverts back to its original state. The only way around this it seems is to store the edited version of this performance in the Motif rack. I’ve tried saving the edited version in the software, but still it seems the sequencer (DP) is sending a patch change or something that is causing it to revert back to its original state. Is there a way that I can make ALL of my edits in the multi-editor, and listen to them as they sound by playing back the track in DP without having to store them in the hardware each time?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2010 @ 05:20 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry we don’t have DP here so we cannot test what we are about to suggest. But you should be able to edit and hear what your doing at the same time. We assume you are running Studio Manager as a standalone along side DP, when setting up Studio Manager you have a MIDI THRU option:
Studio Manager, go to SM2 > PREFERENCES > MIDI SETTINGS

There you will see a MIDI THRU option, on the MIDI INPUTS side (left side) select your keyboard controller… if it does not appear, make sure you have it checked in the MIDI PORTS (INPUT PORTS) area above. You don’t mention how you have your Korg Kontrol 49 connected in your system. If it is connected via a standard MIDI cable to the MIDI In jack of the Motif-Rack, then its signal will be merged on PORT 1 of the Motif-Rack XS. If your Korg is connected via USB, check the option for that port on the INPUT PORT side and under the MIDI THRU option as an input

on the OUTPUT side of the MIDI THRU select the “Yamaha Motif-R Port 1”

This should allow you to hear the Motif-Rack as you edit…

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2010 @ 03:51 AM
wolfetho
Total Posts:  10
Joined  12-06-2005

Bad_Mister:

Thanks for your help! I upgraded the firmware and USB driver on my Korg Kontrol and it works! I can now edit while playing the Korg and hear the changes.

I’m still wondering about question #2 above and I have 1 more issue.
Sorry!

If I select recall in SM2 to synchronize from the hardware (Motif Rack) I get “receive voice timeout” The multi transmits fine.I’ve posted 3 screenshots of my setup. Can you look at these and tell me if I’m doing something wrong?By the way, I’m using USB for both the Korg Kontrol 49, and the Motif rack to connect to my Mac G5 PPC

Thanks!

Tom

Image Attachments
receive voice timeout.pngre-map midi ports.pngSM2 port setup.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2010 @ 10:02 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

First, on your MIDI SETTINGS in Studio Manager, you should only check the first MIDI OUT Port for the Motif-Rack: “YAMAHA Motif-R Port 1” Although the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver is 8 port capable, the Motif-Rack only uses PORT 1. (Other Yamaha products use these, but not the Motif-Rack).

I’ve tried saving the edited version in the software, but still it seems the sequencer (DP) is sending a patch change or something that is causing it to revert back to its original state. Is there a way that I can make ALL of my edits in the multi-editor, and listen to them as they sound by playing back the track in DP without having to store them in the hardware each time?

Sorry, I don’t know Digital Performer - haven’t used it since the early 1990’s and while at one time I knew pretty much everything you could do with it, I have since purged the memory banks. It is seemingly a DP issue, see if you can find a Preference that is resetting data when you press STOP or return to the top of the song.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Arpeggio in multi
Next Topic:

PLG plug in boards and DAWs ››