mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Why does master compression add more reverb?"

Posted on: December 22, 2009 @ 05:20 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

Or at least that is what it sounds like it is doing. Using the ES Multi Band compression seems to exagerate reverb. The Mastering effects on my AW16 does the same thing. It can sound good if you use a little bit but you have to be careful. Another way to describe it is it sounds like it opens the stereo field a little.

PeterS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2009 @ 07:04 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

One effect of any compressor is to make quieter sounds louder...like reverb tails for instance ;)

Yes I would expect the multiband compressor to make reverb a little more prominent.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2009 @ 02:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Absolutely, compressing the dynamic range changes what you hear… the softer sounds are now up close - and you are much more aware of them - the reverb which is applied post (after) the compression now is more apparent - because the previously soft sounds impact the reverb.

Reverb is generally best heard in the empty silences (between events) and how the soft areas including the silences are much more apparent.

One reason mixing is an interactive process, changing one thing often changes another. You cannot change the EQ on a single item without it impacting something else, the level, the pan position, and certainly the dynamic range being adjusted will change your perception of effects.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase, Logic or Pro Tools?
Next Topic:

FS : MY16 mLAN ››