mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "were the timing issues corrected?"

Posted on: December 21, 2009 @ 03:35 PM
el_fuego_azul
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-19-2009

Hi, this is my first post and im very interested to hear your opinions.

My first question is, Were the timing issues corrected on the MOTIF RACK?

At the moment i do not own a MOTIF RACK, but i got across a great deal, the module its almost new with his accesories at 400 american dollars(im in mexico so this is a good deal)

My biggest concern are the timing issues because I play classical music and i want to do some heavy secuencing(a full orchestra)so im hoping that you can answer me if this errors were corrected on the last OS version 1.0.2, if the errors are not corrected i will need to make an effort and get a MOTIF RACK ES

My second question is, is there such a big difference(soundwise) between the MOTIF RACK ES and the MOTIF RACK?, if this is true, why is that(there is a difference in the sound engine, the number of samples...)?, i understand that the RACK ES has more features(more samples, arpeggios...) but i do not seem to find a straight answer to my question.

Thank you for answering

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2009 @ 10:02 AM
craven
Total Posts:  18
Joined  12-20-2009

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/articles/yamahamotifes.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2009 @ 04:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The timing issue of the Motif-Rack was addressed back in 2003 (Updater 1.0.2)

The Motif-Rack (2002) > Motif-Rack ES (2004) > Motif-Rack XS (2008)
every 18 months on average computer chips double in capability… the same applies to the chips that Yamaha develops for the synthesizer engines.

Motif-Rack = 84MB of wave ROM
Motif-Rack ES = 175MB of wave ROM
Motif-Rack XS = 355MB of wave ROM

So each actually more than doubles the waveform memory. Bigger here does not always translate to more sounds, but it does translate to more refined sounds.

The sound chips, which are Yamaha chips, are developed specifically for the products. Dealing specifically with Motif-Rack vs. Motif-Rack ES that you asked about, there were major changes in the filters, and the effect processors. Significnatly faster envelopes and quaduple the number of PARTS that could utilize Insertion Effects at once.

So the sound of the Motif-Rack ES is immediately more complex.

Technology (although all will not agree) moves forward. The products undoubtedly get more and more powerful. Bigger, better, faster, and MORE - those are the reasons a new product is created - otherwise it will simply stay just as it is.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ attack , reverb effects on patches and combinations
Next Topic:

Sounds ››