mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "recording with Audacity"

Posted on: October 30, 2009 @ 12:37 AM
tortoise
Total Posts:  16
Joined  07-24-2004

I am looking for a driver that I hope will allow me to use my XS8 with USB connected to my computer and recording with Audacity.  For example I can use a headset from Logitech with USB and in the control panel change default device to Logitech’s diver and the mic will record in Audacity.  Is there a driver that will allow me to do that with my Motif? I tried downloading one USB driver but it said to first connect a device compatible with Yamaha USB Audio Driver.  I don’t know what that is.

Has anyone tried to use Audacity to record the Motif?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2009 @ 11:40 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

A device compatible with Yamaha USB AUDIO Driver would be a device capable of outputting audio via USB. These include Yamaha devices like the AudioGram3 and AudioGram6, and small format mixers.

not the synthesizers. The Yamaha synthesizers use the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver for multiple port MIDI communication. The Motif XS8 is MIDI only via USB.

The XS8 is able to send both audio and MIDI via Firewire. Firewire’s robust bandwidth allows (using the Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver) the XS8 to output 16 audio channels and return 3 pairs of stereo audio and at the same time communicate with the computer in two directions with 4 simultaneous MIDI Ports.

If your computer has a firewire port, then all you need to do is download the Yamaha Steinberg Firewire (YSFW) driver for your computer type. This will allow you (if your software can use ASIO drivers) to receive up to 16 audio outputs from your Motif XS8.

And as mentioned this will also handle MIDI for you to and from the computer as well.

Nothing else to buy - just get a single firewire cable connect your XS8 and your in…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2009 @ 01:44 PM
tortoise
Joined  07-24-2004

Thank you for you fast reply.  I have an old G4 Mac PowerBook with Fire Wire, but this computer is almost dead.  The power connection is breaking and it will cost too much to fix. 

My Dell Laptop does not have Fire Wire. 

I currently have an old USB Midisport 2X2 by Midiman that I used a long time ago with Allegro and another keyboard with midi ports.  Is there any possibility here?  I have a very simply project that I just need to play 1 track that will provide background sound to a voice message.

I actually also have an Mbox with Protools but again I use to use that on my Mac which is about dead.  Can I use my Mbox? Or is that just dedicated to Protools?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2009 @ 02:12 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

No, as Bad_Mister said the XS cannot send or receive audio to a host computer via USB, it’s MIDI only.

If this is a one off project then you can record your backing sequence into the XS sequencer and then use the direct to USB recording feature to save a WAV file of the backing onto a USB storage device. You can then import this WAV file into Audacity and add whatever extra material you need in there from a mic or whatever.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 03, 2009 @ 04:50 PM
tortoise
Joined  07-24-2004

That sounds like a great simple solution.  I will have to read my manual to find out how to save a WAV file to a USB storage device.  Once I get that then if WMplayer can play it, Audacity can just record it and/or import it.

I’ll be back if I can’t figure out how to save a WAV file.

Thanks again for easy solution.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Track Out Question for a beginner
Next Topic:

free mp3 recorder ››