mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Removing sound from key and continuous play of wav without sustain pedal"

Posted on: October 19, 2009 @ 02:28 PM
jpondhawk
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-26-2008

I would like to know how to remove the sound on a key that I have replaced with an audio wav. The note originally assigned to the key still plays before the wav file plays. The key is C6 with “Tacky”. On Element 8. Is there a way to silence that first original note so only the wav file plays? I did do this once by accident but I can’t remember how I did it.

Also is there a way to strike the key and have that wav file play continuously without holding down the sustain pedal and still play the other keys on the keyboard? I have to keep the sustain pedal down to play the wav file which is about 35 seconds long. By doing so anything I play on the rest of they keyboard has sustain on it.

Latching doesn’t seem to work.

This is for a live performance with a band…

I am not sequencing because of timing issues with a live drummer and band.

The PondHawks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2009 @ 10:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I would like to know how to remove the sound on a key that I have replaced with an audio wav. The note originally assigned to the key still plays before the wav file plays. The key is C6 with “Tacky”. On Element 8. Is there a way to silence that first original note so only the wav file plays?

If I understand you correctly…

You can note limit any Element to any region on the keyboard:
Press [EDIT]
Press Track Select button [1]-[8] to view the Element parameters
Press [F1 OSCILLATOR
On the Oscillator screen you will find the NOTE LIMIT parameter for each Element
Highlight the High Note Limit and “KBD” will appear above [SF6] you can assign the High Note Limit for each of the four Elements in turn to B5.

This will leave C6 empty for your user sample Element.

Also is there a way to strike the key and have that wav file play continuously without holding down the sustain pedal and still play the other keys on the keyboard? I have to keep the sustain pedal down to play the wav file which is about 35 seconds long. By doing so anything I play on the rest of they keyboard has sustain on it.

This is precisely why I would not recommend that you use a single VOICE to accomplish your goal.

Typically a VOICE will have all its elements respond to musical envelopes.

What I would recommend is that you place your audio clip in a Drum Kit Voice. In a Drum Kit you have quite a different type of envelope control… Unlike a musical instrument a drum/percussion sound is triggered and plays its complete envelope without you having to hold down a key or hold down a pedal. Drum Keys can be set to “Ignore Note Off” - this allows the complete drum instrument to sound without you having to hold down a key as you would with a musical instrument sound.

You can setup up the Drum KEYS on a per KEY basis, each KEY in a Drum kit is an autonomous instrument, with its own envelope, filter, routing to the effects, etc.

We have a complete tutorial (with examples) on how to do this. You can program a KEY to trigger your audio clip, and you can program a “silent key” _ whose purpose it will be to stop playback of the audio clip at any time.

once you have created the Drum Kit with your audio clip(s) in it, you can easily layer this and the Tacky Piano sound in a PERFORMANCE and use the keyboard as you require for each sound. This will give much, much more control over your audio clips and you will not have to worry about stepping on a pedal or holding down a key - in order to trigger and/or silence your audio clip(s).

Please see the following tutorial and example LOOP KIT:

Drum Kit LOOP Tutorial

If you have any questions post back here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2009 @ 02:58 PM
jpondhawk
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-26-2008

Thank you for the info about using a drum key.

I’m a newbie to the Motif and just learning my way around it.

I was a little concerned when I read that by loading the tutorial you suggested, that it would delete my user information.

I have all the voices I created and wav files backed up into all data files. But, I wasn’t sure how to restore those if everything gets wiped out. They automatically load each time I start up the Motif.

I haven’t updated the OS for the Motif because of that, which I need to do. Can you send me a link about updating the Motif and restoring user files? I was hoping that the ‘favorites’ would not be wiped out too when updating, etc. I couldn’t see a way to save those to an all data file.

Also I need info about how to edit midi files in the sequencer. I’m using them as backing tracks for live performances. They were created on the computer. I realized that matching similar voices from the computer to the Motif (two different sound programs) is a real challenge.

My computer at the moment is too new (snow leopard Mac OS) for Cubase 4 so I can’t use it until they update Cubase. So I have to edit on the Motif. I need to delete all the notes in 3 tracks from one of the midi songs in the sequencer. For now they are turned off. I also want to remove 14 measures at the beginning of the song in all 16 tracks that are blank so the song will start up immediately. Any info how to do this would be helpful. The manual for the Motif is not very helpful.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Jorie

[ Ignore ]