mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif Intermittently freezes in MUTLI mode"

Posted on: October 12, 2009 @ 01:20 PM
billyhig
Total Posts:  7
Joined  10-08-2009

Hey all,

I’m not sure what the hell is going on.  This just started happening to me recently.  I’ll be using the Motif in Multi Mode trying to record into Sonar.  My MIDI is via USB.  I can play back what I already have on that track, and play along with the Motif.  Basically all is well for a minute, and then as soon as I execute something in Sonar (record, copy a track… etc) my whole Motif freezes and I can’t do anything with it until I reboot it. 

I have a feeling I may have screwed something up while I was trying to do an external SYNC with sonar.  I didn’t fully understand what I was doing and now I have a feeling a setting is screwed up.  On the other hand I can’t picture a setting that would cause my Motif to completely freeze.  Has anybody ever had this issue?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2009 @ 10:29 AM
billyhig
Joined  10-08-2009

OK, this problem does not happen if I have the Arpeggio switch disabled… it also doesn’t seem to occur as soon as I enable Arpeggio.  I’ll enable it, play back an arpeggio and it sounds fine.  (It is pulling the timing from the clock in Sonar)but after recording once, it will intermittently freeze my whole Motif.  Even if I choose the Motif to use it’s own internal clock the problem still happens.  I will try to re-install the latest drivers and firmwar tonight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2009 @ 12:57 PM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

When it freezes, what’s the MIDI Activity Indicator on the task tray show?  If you’re not doing anything, both “Lights” should be OFF.  If one or both are on, it sounds like you might have a MIDI Data Loop somewhere.

Having the ARP disabled also hints at that; if ARP is enabled, it could be feeding back on itself.  In reality, it’s not “Locking Up,” you’re just hosing it with more MIDI data than there is room to do it.

Try to lock it up again, then pull out the the USB cable.  If it comes back to life, then you know it’s data related.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2009 @ 07:28 PM
billyhig
Joined  10-08-2009

I locked it again and pulled the plug and it was still frozen.  This happened while the Motif was on the internal clock (not sure if that has anything to do with the problem).  The connections I have with the Motif is a USB to the PC (this is what I am using for my midi connection) and an internal MIDI connection from my controller keyboards output port (I switch to this occasionally when I want to practice piano). I am also going from my thru port in the motif to my… soundcard.  is that bad?  (soundcard is Tascam US 1641)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2009 @ 07:31 PM
billyhig
Joined  10-08-2009

...also, i’m not quite sure what you mean by MIdi Indicator on the task tray.  would this be my device manager on my PC or on the screen of the Motif?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2009 @ 11:20 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sounds like you have setup a clock loop - which in the worst case scenario will not only freeze your gear but can crash your computer.

What is it you are attempting to do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2009 @ 10:56 AM
billyhig
Joined  10-08-2009

I’m trying to set it up so that Sonar’s internal Midi Clock is used and sends a clock signal to my Motif.  From what I’ve read this is good to do and makes everything sync up almost perfectly.  Unless you think it would be wiser to use my Motif’s internal clock.  I think I have too many things plugged in, not to mention the Sonar clock configuration confuses me.  I’m going to hit up a Cakewalk board and try to get some information over there as well. 

I want the ability to play arpeggios on the Motif, in Multi Mode, at the tempo that Sonar is set to.  So i’ll put the Arpeggio feature on, I’ll set the Midi Clock on the Motif to MIDI (signal should come in via USB connection to my PC)

Here’s my environment… as detailed as i can get without sounding stupid.

Controller Keyboards MIDI out goes to MOTIF Midi in, and from Motif Midi thru I’m going to my Tascam Audio Interfaces Midi In (This way if i want to play a SoftSynth I have a midi input straight into my PC, it’s just going through the Motif first).  I don’t know how I am looping though, because when I’m working with Sonar and my Motif I am setting the Motif’s Midi settings to USB…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2009 @ 01:26 PM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

There’s a little icon in the Task Tray when Sonar is running; it looks like a little Keyboard with two LEDs on it.  When the LEDs blink, that represents MIDI activity.

You shouldn’t need to run from your MIDI THRU to the TASCAM for a Keyboard that’s already connected to the MOTIF. 

If you have the MIDI set to USB, then your MIDI IN on your MOTIF is already sent to your computer. 

If you’re playing your keyboard and hearing it on the MOTIF, it’s because Sonar is (correctly) routing the Motif MIDI IN back into the USB Midi IN.

Then it’s going OUT the midi THRU port, and back INTO the computer via the TASCAM Midi.

Disconnect the Tascam MIDI connection and make sure that SONAR is not using that interface.  It’s POSSIBLE that THAT is your clock loop, depending on how your THRUPORT settings are configd.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2009 @ 05:32 PM
billyhig
Joined  10-08-2009

Hey Tony,

OK, i now see what you are talking about.  Before I did anything i took your advice and pulled my thru cable going into my interface.  I can still do everything like before so i didn’t need that there.  The Midi Indicator shows a solid red light on the left and one that blinks whenever i do anything on my motif or play a key.  It’s still shutting down in multi mode, and when it does the left light on the indicator goes blank… the one on the right still blinks however if i hit a key.  I’m assuming this must be the In light and the one on the left is the out.  I’m starting to think this may be a driver issue. 

Here are my Sonar configurations under Project Options (this is where you do the sync) and also for reference I have Sonar 7 Pro.

CLOCK TAB
Source: I have Audio selected, other options are Internal, Midi sync, SMPTE/MTC.  I remember reading somewhere that Audio should be chosen if you plan on using a combination of Midi and Audio in your project.

Ticks p/ Quarter Note:  I have 960 selected, which is the highest. 

Time Code Format - I have 30FPSndf which i read is the best bet for audio production.

SMPTE/MTC Offset:  00:00:00:00

MIDI OUT TAB

Midi Machine Control (MMC)
Transmit MMC (this is unchecked)
Zero Controllers When PLay Stops (this is checked)
Patch/Controller Searchback Before Play Starts (This is unchecked)

SYNC TAB

Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop/Clock (this is checked)
Use Start never continue (This is unchecked)
Transmit MIDI song position pointer (SPP) (This is checked)
Locate Delay for SPP Recipient (set to 0)

MIDI SYNC OUTPUT PORTS
Tascam US-1641 (checked)
YAMAHA USB Out 0-1 (checked)
Yahama USB Out 0-2 - 0-8 (unchecked)

Send Midi Time Code
Transmit MTC (unchecked)

MTC OUtput Ports
Tascam US-1641 (checked)
Yamaha USB Out 0-1 (unchecked)
Yamaha USB Out 0-2 - 0-8 (unchecked)

Hopefully there is something checked or unchecked that shouldn’t be and it’s a quick fix.  I appreciate the help, and if you think i should try to reinstall my drivers let me know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2009 @ 09:45 AM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

That “Solid Red” light doesn’t sound right, though I can’t verify at the moment because I’m not in front of my rig. 

Something is obviously sending a continuous MIDI stream (and I don’t think that CLOCK will make that solid, but again, not sure...).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2009 @ 09:52 AM
billyhig
Joined  10-08-2009

Tony,

I only got a few minutes to screw around with it last night.  I got rid of the solid red light by switching up my connections… I’ll repost once i get home, that way i can tell you what i did. 

.B

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ User voices
Next Topic:

Need help to setup my motif to my computer and get sound to my PA ››