mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif classic vs Ableton live on stage …"

Posted on: May 31, 2009 @ 08:09 AM
tdwctdwc
Total Posts:  79
Joined  04-09-2009

So lately, i’ve been using Ableton live 8 as a production companion for all my tunes/ideas and using my beloved Motif classic as a midi controller for that matter.

I’ve been so impressed with what Ableton has to offer in electric piano sounds, that i am considering taking it with me on stage and use it as a sound generator ( and the motif as a midi controller).

In the past, what i usually did in live gigs was use the “Performance” mode in Motif.

Don’t get me wrong: The Motif has been nothing short of SPECTACULAR for me in live shows, especially in what it has to offer for the genre of music i do.
It’s just that i’m thinking about trying something new here..

should i go for it??

By the way, my band is basically me and a drummer playing jazz-fusion-experimental music.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2009 @ 02:02 AM
play4god
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-20-2009

Did you get this to work?  I want to do the same with the XS and Ableton Live, but I don’t know how to get the contollers on the XS to control AL.

Any tips? :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2009 @ 05:15 AM
kr=d+=+
Total Posts:  125
Joined  03-20-2009

that’s very simple. In ableton live in the upper right corner press the keyboard icon. Then click on the region, knob, slider,… you want to control and push or turn or slide the controller, note, button, slider,… you want to use as controller. live learns this controller. Click back on the keyb. icon. And save your setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2009 @ 02:37 AM
play4god
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-20-2009

Awesome! Got it to work! :)
Actually, in my case, it was the MIDI button I had to use, but it worked the same as you described once I pushed that, and had the Motif in ‘Remote’ mode via the REMOTE button.

The transport controls/faders didn’t seem to transmit unless I was in this mode - which is cool.
Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2009 @ 09:27 AM
KingVidBina
Total Posts:  14
Joined  07-24-2008

Hey people,

I have something of a similar thing down here.
I just love the way how motif finished of a current pattern before switching to the next one (performance mode). I would like a program in which I could program clicktracks that act somewhat similar. If I have my hands free for a split second I want to be able to trigger, let’s say, a bridge to begin at the end of the current pattern. Many sequencers I know, allow you to do direct jumps to markers… I don’t like that (too abrupt, too sudden). I just wanna keep everything flowing smoothly. I’ve heard Ableton does that smooth flow thing in session mode. Any places where I could find some good tutorials?!?

Later

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2009 @ 09:03 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Just go to the Ableton web site and download the demo of Live 8, it has tutorials built in. There are other tutorial resources at the site as well.

You’ll find Live’s session mode conceptually similar to Motif’s pattern mode.

If you put your Motif in Remote mode it can act as a control surface for Live using the Mackie Control protocol. You can select tracks, control mixer volume, pan, sends and operate the transport from the Motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2009 @ 09:48 PM
majestique
Total Posts:  170
Joined  03-24-2009

I find Ableton’s sounds aren’t that great and the 2.5ms delay is noticeable by me.. is there a way to decrease the delay?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2009 @ 01:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

2.5ms, really? If you can notice that then you are SUPERMAN...!!!

It is either an in correct report on the delay or you are from the planet Krypton and have “...powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men!” (lol)

[ Ignore ]