mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sound output form Motif XS on stage"

Posted on: August 12, 2009 @ 08:32 AM
podpad
Total Posts:  55
Joined  08-02-2007

I was wondering what most of you use in terms of connections from the Motif to the amps on stage.
Connections in the studio are all fine but in a few weeks I will be playing on stage and was in the process of working out the wiring path for my stage rig. The XS will feed into a mixer which will in turn feed into a couple of active cabs. What I was wondering is should I connect the XS via the analog L/R outputs direct to the mixer or via the digital out on the XS, into a D/A convertor into the mixer.  Would the digital out from the XS offer any advantages even though it would still have to be converted to an analog signal to feed the mixer. Any views would be welcome

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2009 @ 03:29 AM
Alaskan Buckeye
Total Posts:  57
Joined  12-03-2007

I think you’ll be more than satisfied using the LR 1/4” main outs, and more than likely (depending on your voices/music style) a mono out for live playing is acceptable.

As for the wiring, I typically run 1/4” from the XS main outs into a (or pair) direct box (DI) to convert to an XLR if your using a snake to your main mixing board.  If your going straight into the mixer - you may not need to use DI boxes.

I have not heard of using the digital out in a live scenario, as most live venues are analog - a good sound guy will make all the difference as well.

Let us know how it goes!  Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2009 @ 12:11 PM
Tones
Total Posts:  381
Joined  07-24-2002

I agree with Alaskan...use the analog outs.  there is no advantage to going dig out into a converer box.
ALSO..if you do a lot of splits, layers or always use a couple of dedicated sounds and have the mixer inputs...the assignable outs can help you here also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2009 @ 01:51 PM
Bivas
Total Posts:  47
Joined  08-26-2009

yeah, I’d go with the L/R...if you go with the digital out, I don;t think you can control the volume with the volume slider on the XS...at least I can’t when I connect the digital out, maybe I don;t know how but something to keep in mind...let us know your exp on stage with the XS. good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2009 @ 02:38 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004
bvas - 15 September 2009 01:51 PM

if you go with the digital out, I don;t think you can control the volume with the volume slider on the XS…

One of the hardest things for me to adapt to on stage was to leave my volume alone and trust the sound engineer… :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2009 @ 05:02 PM
zikerstu
Total Posts:  326
Joined  08-06-2008

If you’re only using the one synth, going L/R out will work fine. If you have multiple keyboards then a small mixer will work better. I use a yamaha MG10/2 mixer and can send stereo L/R out to the snake-main console and send L/R out to my amp via the L/R control room out. I can then adjust the control room out volume levels to my stage amp while unaffecting the levels out to the main mix.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Anyone use the FC-9? HELP!
Next Topic:

Review of Tapco Thump TH-15 Active speakers ››