mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Hey everyone…just another newbie here with 2 quick questions"

Posted on: August 17, 2009 @ 01:32 PM
Jay O Productions
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-17-2009

Hey everyone im an aspiring music producer and i just recently bought an IMAC Logic 9 and a yamaha motif xs, Now here are the simple questions that has probably been answered a ton of times (i apologize)...Can i connect my motif to Logic?, so that the sounds in the motif play through the d.a.w? 2. I have a presonus firebox, should it be connected to that or the computer itself and what cable should i use to do so. 

I have made patterns in the motif, saved them as a midi file and transfered it into logic, but the sounds are not the same...same pattern but it sounds different im assuming because i dont have the motif sounds in logic. 

how does this work?

sorry i guess it was three questions.
THANKS all

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2009 @ 03:51 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Can i connect my motif to Logic?, so that the sounds in the motif play through the d.a.w?

Yes...

I have a presonus firebox, should it be connected to that or the computer itself and what cable should i use to do so.

I would think that the answer depends upon which XS you have. The Presonus would require a firewire 600 cable...

how does this work?

Do a search or just browse through this forum. Others have asked about connecting via a dedicated audio interface with Logic…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2009 @ 12:17 PM
Jay O Productions
Joined  08-17-2009

i have an xs6 what do you recommend do i have to get the mylan??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2009 @ 08:59 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

No, not at all… I believe in maximizing what you have… It’s a matter of how fast you need to work versus how much you can spend…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2009 @ 12:51 PM
Jay O Productions
Joined  08-17-2009

ok so without the mylan what do i need in order to play my motif xs6 sounds in logic, or more importantly how do i hook it up...i like taking my time when working, so if its a slower process but will save me money im all for it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2009 @ 08:51 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

You can connect the main outputs from the XS to the audio inputs on your soundcard (built-in or external) just as you would any other instrument. Alternatively, if you have it available, you can use the S/P DIF interface.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2009 @ 08:55 AM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008
Jay O Productions - 17 August 2009 01:32 PM

I have made patterns in the motif, saved them as a midi file and transfered it into logic, but the sounds are not the same...same pattern but it sounds different im assuming because i dont have the motif sounds in logic.

MIDI contains no audio information, only instructions to a tone generator about what to play. When playing MIDI back in Logic, whatever tone generator is assigned to that track (such as a soft-synth) will play the correct notes but with whatever sound is assigned to each MIDI channel on the synth.

To have Logic play the XS sounds you would need to have the XS connected to Logic via MIDI such that it can receive the MIDI information during playback. On the XS you would need to be in Pattern or Song mode with the correct MIX setup so that it plays the correct sounds on each track.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2009 @ 12:56 PM
Jay O Productions
Joined  08-17-2009

great thanks for all the help, so audio cable going from my motif xs6 to my firebox, as well as a midi cable so it can detect the keys that im playing on the xs. Hit record on logic and start playing? or record on motif?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2009 @ 03:21 PM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008

Unless you are using mLAN, you will not be using firewire for anything. The audio outputs on your XS are standard jacks, so you’ll need to connect these using normal audio cables to whatever line level analogue inputs are on your external soundcard.

As for MIDI you will need 2 cables. One from the XS OUT to the soundcard IN, and one from the soundcard to the XS IN. This way the XS can receive MIDI information from the computer and vice versa.

Wherever you do the recording, that is where the data will be recorded. So if you record on the XS then the resulting MIDI information is stored on the XS. To get it into Logic you would need to play it back from the XS and record it into Logic, or export it as a MIDI file from the XS.

If you record on Logic, then you will need to have the XS connected via MIDI to hear the playback correctly.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2009 @ 03:29 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

as well as a midi cable so it can detect the keys that im playing on the xs.

I would highly and greatly recommend using a usb cable instead of midi for the following reasons. 1) It will properly port from within Logic, (after installation of the Yamaha USB-Driver). 2)It will maintain functionality with the XS Editor, (indespensable in my humble opinion). 3)It provides for remote control of Logic via the XS transport. 4)I know there are other reasons but it’s 2:30 in the AM and I am sleepy and going to bed now…

Peace…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2009 @ 02:45 PM
Jay O Productions
Joined  08-17-2009

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE ANSWERS!!

[ Ignore ]