mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Piano software for more dynamic playing?  Any opinions?"

Posted on: June 15, 2009 @ 06:19 PM
okdk
Total Posts:  83
Joined  10-17-2007

I just got Ksounds piano 1, like the sounds, but not real happy with trying to play softly.  To me, it sounds too strong at the softest playing level.  I changed my keyboard velocity setting to get better expression, it helps slightly, but the sample just doesn’t seem to have the ability to get the softer tones a real piano would have.  It sounds great at medium to loud playing. I play in a rock band, and also solo piano, so this will only affect the solo playing.  The sound that works the best is called “dynamic”, it’s the closest to sounding like I want.  Does anybody have any opinions or advice on this?  I feel like I either need to try tweeking the voices a bit, or find a different software to try.  Maybe the 4 layer piano software has more dynamics?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 04:40 PM
frank1
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-05-2009

i have the ksounds piano 1 an 2,i made a big mistake,i paid 200 bucks for a download,i wish i can get my money back but i can’t,the stienway is horrible playing live,and the kawai ex sounds like a cheap casio piano sound,don’t waste your money on these sounds trust me,if you want a piano stick with the s700 sample,if you tweek it right,it sounds great playing live,i had a lot of complements on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2009 @ 02:05 PM
ksounds
Total Posts:  670
Joined  05-06-2004

I’m sad to see that you are not satisfied with the sounds. You are certainly welcome to your opinions. MY opinion is that Piano 2 does not sound like a cheap Casio - not even to you. Demos have always been available for the product, so if it sounded bad to you overall, I doubt you would have purchased it. If it’s a matter of the tone quality not fitting into your band, that can be adjusted using EQ and the Motif’s filters. If you don’t like the velocity response, you can adjust the amp response and filter response.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2009 @ 05:29 PM
frank1
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-05-2009

well here’s my opinion,it sounded good on the demo also i watched it on you tube,i got these sounds from hearing them online,i have a good speaker system in my studio, also i run 2 roland amps stereo onstage and no stienway or kawai cuts thru the mix,sorry man,i’m always in the market for a good piano sound,yours just don’t cut it...................trust me,stick with the s90 sample,you wont be sorry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2009 @ 11:08 AM
morrisr
Total Posts:  27
Joined  12-29-2008

Guys, I’m replying to allcomments in this topic.  I too got have a problem with the piano sounds, I think even my PSR-295 Grand piano sounds better, I could be wrong.  I played at church yesterday and the sounds from the piano was horrible, never like it at all, (just got the keyz though). I want to know how to get the right tweek for the piano to sound really good. I need help too guys…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2009 @ 11:26 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

A PSR has 2 built-in speakers for stereo.

Did you apply a stereo public-address speaker set?
Because the Motif is known for its disappointing sounds when mono-ed.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 01:10 AM
morrisr
Total Posts:  27
Joined  12-29-2008

No I didn’t, by that you mean by not using my phone out and use the output R & L instead?  Will try that tomorrow. Planning to go church and hook up system to see if it’s speaker I have home which is the problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 02:11 AM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

Stereo == 2 speakers!

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2009 @ 08:16 AM
papaphoenix
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  03-09-2004

s horrible playing live,and the kawai ex sounds like a cheap casio piano sound

This is very strange, i made some youtube video about this two piano, the sound you can listening on them is the same that you can find in the bank, it’s record in real time without any change, just a normalize.
I have done a very good feedback on this two piano sounds on Moessieurs and there is a large part of users who have buy them who are really happy with them.
You can see here on the forum by using a search and i have also a very good report with the feedback of french users who have buy them on our french forum.

Are you sure to have load correctly the samples and the all voice file ?
If you have already some others samples load on your motif, do you have relink the elements to the good user waveforms ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2009 @ 05:27 AM
Fabrice Delcarte
Total Posts:  14
Joined  04-29-2009

Hi all,
Motif xs piano, DSF Steinway L, Ksound Steinway D, S700 Piano… they all have good sides and bad sides. With a little bit of tweaking and by choosing the right piano for the right use, It makes the trick. But when you look at it a little bit more technically, you understand that you will never have a sound that sounds like a piano on the motif xs ! why ?

1.  If you use a sampled piano then you are limited by the 1go of ram installed in the motif and by the 8 elements. for example look at the dynamics/velocity. On those piano you have about 3 samples by note (2 for ksound), so the 128 level of velocity is finally an interpolation or a level adjustment between those 3 samples. A real piano will have completely different harmonics/sonority regarding to the velocity you apply to it, not only 3 different sonority with a level adjustments. Another thing most of those piano do not have separate sample for the same note played with the sustain pedal. In the motif only the sound envelope is modified to get the sustain effect. Same about the soft pedal, the staccato because a piano sound differently when you play staccato, or a fast repetition of the same note. when a note resonate in a piano after (2sec) the waveform changes, because of the timber quality of the piano, the sound has an evolution in time. On the motif to limit the size of the sample, they use a short sample and loop it until you release the key. just a bit of math: 1 element can contain 88 samples (1 for each note at a certain velocity) so with 8 elements you could have 3 sample per note without pedal and 4 with pedal and another 1 with the release sound of the note mixed with the hammer noise. (example of course) ok so you are limited by the elements because you will not have the staccato, soft pedal, ... ok 88 notes X 8 elements = 704 Samples… to fit in 1 Go of ram. So the maximum size of each sample is 1.4Mo, as we are not talking about an .mp3 but a .wav sound, it makes it a very short recording of each note.

2. You use an emulated piano that does not use sample but create a wave signal that sound like a piano, the wave will need to be different for each situation (chord, sustain, soft, ...) So use a lot of preset data and a lot of processing power. Look at the Roland Vpiano, It sounds great, I have tried it. Roland really studied how the wave is produced and distorted by each part of the piano and it works very well. But to create their continuous wave they use 3 processors, look at the size and the price of V piano ... all it does is reproducing a piano sound. The motif does not have 3 CPU just for the piano sound .. 
Due to those reasons, you will never be fully satisfy about a piano sound on the motif.

The solution : buy a piano or use your motif as a midi controller with an expensive software (such as East west quantum leap pianos - see my post on “piano sounds") and a powerful computer.

I hope I haven’t been boring.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2009 @ 05:47 AM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

I’m not a ‘connaisseur’, but an amateur as well as a consumer.
I must say that some grands of about $200000 can be very disappointing, both in touch and in sound.
Even in the right ambiance.

Almost every week I play a grand piano of $20000.
Before I played some even more expensive piano’s.
I have played (just to try) on several synthesizers and
may be it’s my simple mind, but I’m most content with the piano’s
that are standard in the S90 series and the Motif series.
They may differ, but none of them ‘destroys’ a good piano piece.

Therefore, I just wonder if some people are chasing rainbows,
ever trying to get better and better piano sounds.
Because, theoretically you can’t get better than such a real grand
and if you even are not content with those .............................

I’m just very happy with what I have.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2009 @ 10:43 AM
lexluthier53
Total Posts:  103
Joined  03-12-2009

I have read about the S90 sounds here and would like to try them. Where can I obtain them to install on my XS8?

Lex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2009 @ 02:54 PM
okdk
Total Posts:  83
Joined  10-17-2007
frank1 - 17 June 2009 04:40 PM

i have the ksounds piano 1 an 2,i made a big mistake,i paid 200 bucks for a download,i wish i can get my money back but i can’t,the stienway is horrible playing live,and the kawai ex sounds like a cheap casio piano sound,don’t waste your money on these sounds trust me,if you want a piano stick with the s700 sample,if you tweek it right,it sounds great playing live,i had a lot of complements on it.

I also have a S90ES and I love the sound and feel of it, this board can play softly!!  Can I get this sample into my ES, and will it sound as good?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2009 @ 03:02 PM
sciuriware
Joined  08-18-2003

The S700 voice you prefer on the S90ES is probably on the CD that came with the ES.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]