mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "So I just ordered Logic Studio 9…"

Posted on: August 07, 2009 @ 05:58 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

My much loved, much used and faithful VS2480 just developed a nasty display fault (hardware fault on the video circuitry I think) so I bit the bullet and just ordered a 2009 Mac Pro together with Logic Studio 9. I opted for the single quad core system as I think the horsepower will be more than enough - I’m not going to use this Mac for anything serious except music. I’ll be adding an SSD drive, a 1Tb second hard drive and maxxing out the RAM when I get it - I’m not paying Apple prices for RAM and Hard drives :-)

Next month, assuming I get on with Logic ok, I’m planning to add an Audigy Symphony rackmount for I/O together with MC Mix and MC Control hardware from Euphonix. Meantime I’m planning on using a stereo external USB soundcard for Mic and Line inputs (I have an Edirol USB interface that will do for now) and the TOSlink output from the Mac Pro to interface directly with my TC Electronics Finalizer 96k for mastering.

Questions for those of you familiar with Logic:

1) Is Logic Studio the same as Logic Pro? My understanding is that it was renamed ‘Studio’ - is this correct?

2) For those of you using Logic as a multitrack recording system - how do you find it for this relatively basic operation?

3) How does the sound quality of virtual instruments bundled with Logic compare to, say, existing Yamaha hardware?

Any thoughts, tips etc. appreciated. I’m new to this (seasoned Mac user, but completely new to Logic).

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2009 @ 09:01 PM
kr=d+=+
Total Posts:  125
Joined  03-20-2009

logic studio is a bundlle of diferent appL. (logic-mainstage-waveburner-soundtrack pro) Also the jam packs are included. Logic pro is just the application logic. I find the sounds not that musical an rich as the yamaha motif sounds, but in an arrangement they work very well. There is an audio example attached. This was totally done with logic 8. I made it for a trailer.

File Attachments
lange trailer versie audiom.mp3  (File Size: 1177KB - Downloads: 693)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2009 @ 10:59 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Congrats and if only I had known I could have sold you my VS2480 Mint Cond. which has sat for some time… I bought it but never could get deep into recording because of the limited effects. So a whole knew world is going to open up to you.

I will second that I don’t much care for most of the synths in Logic however, the Acoustic Pianos, Electric Pianos, Organs, Acoustic Bass are stellar… IMHO, they far exceed my XS and I’m a die hard XSer… I like Ultrabeat, and Sculpture gives you some unique sounds- I don’t care much for the Drums but again, that’s why I bought my XS…

Mainstage as a live application SMOKES…

THe Effects in Logic are O.U.T.S.T.A.N.D.I.N.G.!!!

Your productivity is going to be greatly enhanced…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2009 @ 11:34 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

P.S. had Presonus continued to support it, your VS could have acted as your I/O for mic inputs. But alas, they did not support the Leopard update…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2009 @ 09:55 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

Cool - thanks for the replies guys.

I’ll be getting the stuff set up in a week, so I’ll have a play around and see how I get on with it. Thanks for the audio clip kr=d+=+, my style of music tends to involve huge mixes with many many layers (I’m a big fan of the ‘epic’ sound) so it’ll be interesting to see how freeing myself from the 24 track limit helps the workflow.

All good stuff - I outgrew the 24 track a while ago anyway, so I guess it’ll just be a case of adapting to the new environment :)

Df.

[ Ignore ]