mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Remote Control and Cubase"

Posted on: June 01, 2009 @ 02:28 PM
hdreamer
Total Posts:  221
Joined  12-30-2007

Hi,

I’ve been working lately more with music and I found out that it can be annoying to use mouse to operate Cubase. I have never used Remote Control but I decided to give it a try.
I have motif classic 7, Cubase sx3, Windows Vista and when I do the setup i simply cannot control Cubase from Motif. When I click play on Motif I see MIDI action but no real action - play is not activated. I read manual but there is no much help. I asked already this question but could not find it out on this new web page design. Do i need to make some downloads, if yes where..
How can I control Cubase with Motif controls?
thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2009 @ 04:25 AM
hdreamer
Joined  12-30-2007

Ok, more than 100 views and still no answer! I never did that before and I have the manual but it wont work. I have Vista 32. Is it possible? I am very curious to see that work, so just shoot it!

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2009 @ 08:06 AM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

I gave up trying to control Cubase with the Motif “classic” long ago but it can be done (sort of) if you really want to try. I think Bad Mister posted the info for setting things up in the “Behind the Manual” section of Motifator around 5 years ago so you’ll have to do a search there. Even following his excellent directions I could never get the Motif to consistantly control Cubase--sometimes it worked, othertimes it wouldn’t--and control is limited to very basic functions. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 05:40 AM
hdreamer
Joined  12-30-2007

It looks like that here I am one of the few people who still uses Motif Classic! The last man standing. But I will not give up!

Please Bad Mister don’t be Bad! Give some advice. I did some search but it did not help me. Is there any step by step procedure how can I make remote control function. I never used it before but I think it would help me a lot when working on my songs.
Of course, I have CD that I got with Motif but it is past. It wont work with Vista, probably I need some drivers…

thanks in advance

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 09:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I got a similar question back in January of 2008 - here is my reply then:

Re: Remote control / Sequence with Motif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry that I cannot point you to any guides on this, but the Motif (2001) and Cubase SX3 (2004) are three years apart.

In general, you are writing the book on how well they work together (if at all). Back in 2001 the versions of Cubase that were out did have some limited remote control functions when used with the Motif (as outlined in your manual).

Much has changed in the ensuing years… but here is something you can try.

First you will need to be using USB as your MIDI connection to the computer. (Make sure you have the latest Yamaha USB driver for your computer’s operating system).

In Cubase SX3 you can try using “Mackie Control” protocol in the REMOTE DEVICES Folder.

Try Port 3 as the communication port for the REMOTE Device.
In the Motif set the REMOTE DAW to “Cubase”
Press [UTILITY] > [F4] CTL ASN > [SF4] REMOTE

Let us know what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you know much has indeed changed. In January of 2005 Yamaha purchased Steinberg and things have progressed from there. Unfortunately, I no longer have an original Motif in my studio nor do I have Cubase SX3 - or I would attempt to poke around and see what is possible.

To add one more monkey wrench to the mix, Vista wasn’t even a twinkle when the Motif or Cubase SX3 were happening. Good luck with all of this. You will need to try “trial & error”

I don’t want to take the standard tactic of telling you that you should upgrade… but you actually might want to consider upgrading your DAW software. Steinberg offers great upgrade deals for users of earlier versions and the options for controlling Cubase now are really incredible.

Currently the best way to control Steinberg software is the CC121 (pronounced “see-see-one-to-one)… it truly is a 1:1 control channel for Steinberg DAW (but it is designed to work with Cubase 4-series and later and/or higher)

For more on this: Steinberg CC121 I personally must admit - it really spoils you because this is everything you need to run Cubase, period.

The newer Motif-series have greatly improved the REMOTE CONTROL functions, as well. They do much more and really do allow you to put the mouse down at some point (you will still need it for some things, but once you get down to work, you can proceed fairly mouse free and that is the goal - to be able to operate, select, arm tracks, mute, solo, recall VSTs etc., etc. from your keyboard or from your controller.

Anyway, let us know… and if you do attempt to get all these various components talking to each other, and you do get stuck, post back here. We’ll try to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 12:38 PM
hdreamer
Joined  12-30-2007

hmmm....
I set up everything as described in manuals. In devices I created Generic remote. I clicked Import and I imported files that date 2001 that I got with Motif from CD(file: Yamaha MOTIF Remote.xml). In Motif I set MIDI IN/OUT to USB and Remote type to Cubase. I downloaded drivers for USB that date 2009 and Vista is mentioned.
And when I click Remote on Motif I see the signal but nothing is happening. So, it is not possible!? :((
I hate wasting time on such things. Instead I should do music!
I am sending this picture if this can help.

Yes, I’m old, very very old..
And Bad Mister, thank you kid, for info about controlling Cubase. One day for sure and I’ll upgrade when I start making money from music.

Image Attachments
Capture.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2009 @ 12:50 PM
hdreamer
Joined  12-30-2007

It WORKS actually!! I just saw the knob sliders going up and down in Cubase. Everything works EXCEPT TRANSPORT!!?  WHY?! And mostly because of that I wanted to use Remote.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2009 @ 07:59 AM
hdreamer
Joined  12-30-2007

Everything works except transport from Motif. I don’t know why.
But when I press in Cubase PLAY - MOTIF starts playing. So, like its reverse. Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2009 @ 11:10 AM
Estilos
Total Posts:  16
Joined  06-27-2009

I had the same problem on my ES and Logic with the remote control feature (using mlan instead of usb/midi). The faders would move up and down, but the transport controls would not work. And it was because I didn’t do one simple thing… I did not hit the REMOTE CONTROL button on the ES (not sure if the Classic has this button). In all of the tutorials I was following to set up my mlan connection, none mentioned pressing the REMOTE CONTROL button on the Motif. Loads of information on software settings, motif menu settings, etc. but nothing about simply pressing the remote control button. It is, however, mentioned in the manual (guess I should have looked there first).

Give the button a try (if you haven’t already) and it should work fine. Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2009 @ 07:11 PM
hdreamer
Joined  12-30-2007

Estilos, unfortunately I did press remote control button - when it is pressed (yellow light blinks) then I can control Cubase with Motif except transport controls. And transport controls are something that I would use the most :(

Anyway, thanks for your advice

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Data transfer
Next Topic:

Return to previous voice ››