mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif + Mlan + Logic still unclear."

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 06:28 PM
rules909
Total Posts:  3
Joined  06-17-2009

I received my Mlan16eII card today. It still is a little unclear for me.

Am I able to:

- Use my motf like I use the Virus TI? (Motif becomes a software instrument)
- Use my Motu soundcard still at the same time?
- Use my XS as masterkeyboard en still control external midi instruments?

Thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2009 @ 10:20 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Am I able to:- Use my motf like I use the Virus TI? (Motif becomes a software instrument)

I do not know exactly how you use your Virus TI but, the Motif XS can function via both External Instrument Tracks and as an External Instrument (Not the same thing!)
See the following link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3330

Am I able to:- Use my Motu soundcard still at the same time?

Well, yes and no… You have the option of using mLAN to record 16 tracks of Audio into Logic (any combination of mono or stereo equaling 16). You can also set up an aggregate device within AMS, to utilize both audio interfaces at the same time. You may or may not be successful in obtaining trouble-free performance this way...

Am I able to:- Use my XS as masterkeyboard en still control external midi instruments?

I’ve never attempted to use Logic while the XS is in Master Mode and you’d need to do research as to whether the MIDI ports would be available to you in that Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 01:32 PM
rules909
Joined  06-17-2009

Thank you. It took me a while to reply bc I bought a new Mac pro + soundcard.

I have created an external instrument and got everything to work but after a while the sound becomes crunchy.
It sounds just like a bitcrusher.
I am using the aggregate method bc I am using an Apogee Ensemble as my main soundcard.

I did the quick setup on the XS6 and changed the buffersize but no luck.

I am using Logic 8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 04:41 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I use an M-Audio Interface to record my vocals and my XS 8 via mLAN to record the instruments, (with a few soft synths thrown in). Anyway, it takes very little effort for me to switch between mLAN and the Audio Interface.

As I mentioned, some combinations of interfaces work better than others when attempting to aggregate the devices. I was able to successfully do this with my previous AI with no problems. But now, I’ve deleted my aggregate device and just swap out as needed. Seriously, it takes me about 30 seconds max…

If you’re getting bitcrusher results, I might look into doing the same…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2009 @ 08:14 AM
rules909
Joined  06-17-2009

I see. So how are you going to hear the other tracks in Logic when you use the Mlan as your device while recording?

Btw. I am using the Apogee Ensemble. Had the same results with the Motu 2048mk2

I hope in the future they will create an update using the Motif as an AU/VST instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2009 @ 05:41 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

So how are you going to hear the other tracks in Logic when you use the Mlan as your device while recording?

The XS acts as your Audio Interface while using mLAN. So, in the same way that you monitor Logic via the output of the Apogee Ensemble or Motu 2048mk2, you will monitor it via the XS…

EDITED ON 06-28-09 AT 4:46PM

Also, you need to get familiar with the mLAN Monitor Setup on page 263 of the XS manual...

[ Ignore ]