mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to pan one Voice of a Performance hard left"

Posted on: May 17, 2009 @ 06:48 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Total Posts:  302
Joined  07-30-2002

Hi -

I’ve got a Piano Voice programmed as one of the 4 Parts in a Performance. There are times I’d like to have that Piano voice in my in-ear-monitors (IEMs) only, while being muted to FOH (vocal guide). To do this, I have a kill switch which interrupts my Motif Left output to FOH, while allowing it to continue to the IEMs. I figure I can do all this if I can pan the piano voice hard left from the Motif (so none of it gets to FOH from the right Motif output).

Can I just go to Performance Edit - Part Edit - F2-SF1 - Pan (page 172)? What I’m wondering about is the statement “...Keep in mind that the pan settings above are applied as offsets to the Voice Edit settings. When this is set to off, the basic Pan position for the selected part is set to center”.

That statement made me wonder about the interaction between Voice Edit panning and Performance Edit panning. Does it mean that even if I do this hard left pan in the Part Edit, some of that piano will come out the Motif right output since the stereo Piano Voice itself is panned center? Do I have to edit two things - the Part Edit like we’ve been talking about, but also the Voice edit to do what I’d like to do?

Thanks much for any help with thinking this through!).

(P.S. - I thought about assigning it to the assignable output, but then I’d need to introduce some kind of submixer, I think ...)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2009 @ 02:36 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Joined  07-30-2002
Louder_Than_Good - 17 May 2009 06:48 PM

Hi -

I’ve got a Piano Voice programmed as one of the 4 Parts in a Performance. There are times I’d like to have that Piano voice in my in-ear-monitors (IEMs) only, while being muted to FOH (vocal guide). To do this, I have a kill switch which interrupts my Motif Left output to FOH, while allowing it to continue to the IEMs. I figure I can do all this if I can pan the piano voice hard left from the Motif (so none of it gets to FOH from the right Motif output).

Can I just go to Performance Edit - Part Edit - F2-SF1 - Pan (page 172)? What I’m wondering about is the statement “...Keep in mind that the pan settings above are applied as offsets to the Voice Edit settings. When this is set to off, the basic Pan position for the selected part is set to center”.

That statement made me wonder about the interaction between Voice Edit panning and Performance Edit panning. Does it mean that even if I do this hard left pan in the Part Edit, some of that piano will come out the Motif right output since the stereo Piano Voice itself is panned center? Do I have to edit two things - the Part Edit like we’ve been talking about, but also the Voice edit to do what I’d like to do?

Thanks much for any help with thinking this through!).

(P.S. - I thought about assigning it to the assignable output, but then I’d need to introduce some kind of submixer, I think ...)

Hi - No response for a few days, maybe I didn’t ask the question right, so I’ll synopsize here:

I’ve taken a stereo Voice (piano) and added it as a Part in a Performance. If, in the Performance Editor I then pan that Part hard left - does any of it come out of the right channel? 

I’m out of town away from my Motif Classic for a few days more, and I’m trying to plan out how I’ll program it when I get back. Thanks for any help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2009 @ 11:27 PM
afterhours
Total Posts:  19
Joined  05-22-2009

I tried this tonight on my S90.  Yes, you can put a voice into Performance mode, pan it L, and it will only come out the L.  Same with the R.  The problem on my S90 is that my L output is actually the L/R Mono output while the R is just the R.  So I hear all the pan R sounds in both channels.  If one of your outputs is set-up the same way for mono you’ll have the same problem.  You could use Assignable outputs, but I’ve never had the need to do that so I don’t know how to program it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 01:51 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Joined  07-30-2002
afterhours - 22 May 2009 11:27 PM

I tried this tonight on my S90.  Yes, you can put a voice into Performance mode, pan it L, and it will only come out the L.  Same with the R.  The problem on my S90 is that my L output is actually the L/R Mono output while the R is just the R.  So I hear all the pan R sounds in both channels. If one of your outputs is set-up the same way for mono you’ll have the same problem.  You could use Assignable outputs, but I’ve never had the need to do that so I don’t know how to program it.

Bingo, I think you’ve got it afterhours! I have the same problem, and it was driving me nuts.

In the meantime I did go and use an assignable out, it’s actually pretty straightforward, and works like a charm. I use that out to send a guide for my vocals to my IEMs, routed so it doesn’t go out to the PA.

Thanks again, you saved me some fried brain cells, I don’t know if I would ever have figured that out!

[ Ignore ]