mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Description of Motif Voices"

Posted on: May 20, 2009 @ 02:28 PM
joey_keys
Total Posts:  9
Joined  05-20-2009

Hi all, I’m new to this forum and to the Motif series, having been a Korg O1W and Roland synth guy in the past. So I have the Rack Xs and think the sounds are great but the voice architecture has a bit of a learning curve.
Does anyone know of a list that describes (briefly) the Voice List? I have a Hammond so I know what ‘16 + 8 + 51/3’ means but ‘Piano 1968’, ‘House Piano’, or ‘GS Tines AF1&2;’ I don’t get.  I listen to them but don’t know what AF1&2;refer to.  I have the editor loaded and am going through that but it would be great to have a brief desription of what controllers are set up in a voice.

It would be nice to be able to find a good upright piano sound - not tack piano.  for those of you who know who The Band was, they recorded Big Pink and the brown album using an upright.  That’s what you hear on ‘The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down’.

Thanks in advance and this looks lie a good forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2009 @ 06:44 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

“Piano 1968” is a Beatles-style piano. “House Piano” is a piano
for House (dance) music. “GS Tines AF 1 & 2” is an emulation of
the Yamaha GS2 FM digital synth which was a forerunner to the DX7.
Push the AF1 or AF2 switches to get different tones for that sound.

There is actually no upright piano in the Motif XS. Just cycle through the piano presets to find something close to what you want
to hear. You can “sort of” simulate an upright simply by reducing
the decay time on an acoustic piano sound - use the decay knob to
see how that works.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2009 @ 11:58 AM
joey_keys
Total Posts:  9
Joined  05-20-2009

Thanks so much for the reply Dave.  I know that long term MOTIF users are used to these naming conventions but the naming is new to me.  I edit my sounds a lot so I see how shortening sustain, rolling off some lows, and changing reverb from a hall to a smaller room wil give me a closer upright piano sound. 

Last night I was playing back some projects from Sonar using a piano and bass sound with the Motif communicating via usb.  I got my first crash in Sonar in the last 2 years.  I’ve been there before where everything is stable and you add new software (Studio Manager, XS editor, and Yamaha USB drivers) and new things start to happen.  Do you know of any threads that address Sonar/Studio Manager/Usb driver issues?  Cakewalk will probably point the finger at Yamaha since I’ve had a rock stable system for the last 2 years.  I know all software versions for the Yamaha stuff are the latest because I downloaded them this week.

Py PC is P4 3.2 ghz, 2 gig memory, Windows XP Pro sp2, RME Fireface 400 interface, and booted without anything loaded but the Fireface, Sonar, and Yamaha drivers and programs.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2009 @ 05:27 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
joey_keys - 21 May 2009 11:58 AM

Thanks so much for the reply Dave.  I know that long term MOTIF users are used to these naming conventions but the naming is new to me.  I edit my sounds a lot so I see how shortening sustain, rolling off some lows, and changing reverb from a hall to a smaller room wil give me a closer upright piano sound. 

Last night I was playing back some projects from Sonar using a piano and bass sound with the Motif communicating via usb.  I got my first crash in Sonar in the last 2 years.  I’ve been there before where everything is stable and you add new software (Studio Manager, XS editor, and Yamaha USB drivers) and new things start to happen.  Do you know of any threads that address Sonar/Studio Manager/Usb driver issues?  Cakewalk will probably point the finger at Yamaha since I’ve had a rock stable system for the last 2 years.  I know all software versions for the Yamaha stuff are the latest because I downloaded them this week.

Py PC is P4 3.2 ghz, 2 gig memory, Windows XP Pro sp2, RME Fireface 400 interface, and booted without anything loaded but the Fireface, Sonar, and Yamaha drivers and programs.

Thanks

I’m not a Sonar user, however, there is a “Sonar/Cakewalk” section of this forum, you can post your questions there.

[ Ignore ]