mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What’d be the best way to interface the XS with a Logic setup w/other MIDI devices?"

Posted on: April 30, 2009 @ 05:35 PM
douglas_carmichael
Total Posts:  6
Joined  08-31-2007

I’m considering the XS as one of the ‘candidate’ synths for the core of my setup (because I probably will also have a DTXtreme III electronic drumset), and I’m wondering what’d be the best strategy for interfacing the XS with Logic and the other equipment I already have (Roland JP-8080 module and MV-8000 sampling drum machine/sequencer).

How are you interfacing your XSs with Logic in your workflow?

USB-MIDI and 4 analog outs going to 4 audio tracks?

FireWire with a MR816 interface?

Bouncing the MIDI data from the XS to Logic and using softsynths?

If I do decide to go the FireWire route, how well does the MR816 work with Logic?

(Would the 16 digital I/Os from the XS show in the Logic mixer?)

Thanks in advance!

--Douglas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2009 @ 12:26 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

How are you interfacing your XSs with Logic in your workflow?

via MLAN

Bouncing the MIDI data from the XS to Logic and using softsynths?

The word bounce is greatly overused and possibly greatly understood. You don’t bounce midi. You can record it, import it and export it.

If I do decide to go the FireWire route, how well does the MR816 work with Logic?

Part of the MR816’s specs refer to onboard VST DSP effects but, Logic does not support VST. I would want to verify that there is not a conflict.

(Would the 16 digital I/Os from the XS show in the Logic mixer?)

I am not at all familiar with this mixer, but your question is neither a Logic or an XS question. If you choose to use this mixer, you will be connecting the output of the XS to the mixer via 1/4” cables and limited to the four physical outputs of the XS…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2009 @ 07:38 AM
douglas_carmichael
Total Posts:  6
Joined  08-31-2007

I’m talking about the Steinberg MR816 audio interface (http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/hardware/mr816csx.html) that uses the same Yamaha/Steinberg FireWire protocol as the MOTIF XS.

[ Ignore ]