mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Playing lIve in pattern mode"

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 11:18 AM
Ronmahreimad
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-23-2007

Hello Folks, new to this forum. Here’s my question.
Is there any way to be playing in pattern mode using the chain pattern letter and tranpose both the pattern and the keyboard bed at the same time. Hope this makes sense.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 12:58 PM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

perhaps to better understand what you want to do, could you explain why you want to do this? or what you are trying to achieve?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 02:23 PM
Ronmahreimad
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-23-2007

The song that i’m Doing starts in a comfortable key, then modulates to an UNCOMFORTABLE KEY, and i’m playin live and by myself. that why i’m using chain pattern mode.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 05:31 PM
Machuson
Joined  07-09-2008

ok, that is about what I thought, but is pattern mode essential to you, or are you willing to play in song mode?

reason I ask all that, is that I think there are some convoluted ways to achieve what you are asking, but the approach could differ depending on how you are playing live…

you keep mentioning “chain pattern mode”, so I would think you are not switching patterns yourself, but letting the chain do it for you, in which case converting your chain into a song and using song mode would be roughly the same

there is no “one button solution” that I know of

shooting from the hip (i.e. I don’t have ability to try this and I’m just trying to be creative with the manual as a guide) I think you could do this but it will require a bit of prep work

song mode might be easier (require a little less prep), but you will lose some control… manual pages are in parentheses

Song mode idea = Convert chain to song. Use a Transpose Job (185) to transpose the measures you want transposed. Copy the part (track voice) that you will be playing live to an unused part (192). Edit the copied track voice and Coarse Tune (transpose) it (158-159, also see my last post here).

When you play the song, it will now be transposed where you told it to be, and you can switch from the original track voice to the transposed track voice on the fly.

Pattern mode idea = this is pretty much the same idea except you would copy each pattern you want transposed and transpose it (potentially lots of pattern copying). This means you have to have enough available patterns to copy any patterns you want to play transposed. Copy the part you want to play live same as described above for song mode.

So now when you play you can change patterns on the fly, and when you switch to transposed patterns, just switch to transposed track voice as well. This method will give you the most control over the song.

See? Convoluted!

now someone will come along and tell us how to do it with one button and make me look stoopid!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 06:00 PM
Machuson
Joined  07-09-2008

Ok, so now I start to search the forums (including archive) and I found some things

All hail Bad_Mister!

that is for XS though, and I cannot speak as to whether it applies to MO6/8 as well

I still think my ideas would work, but you decide what works best for you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2009 @ 06:12 PM
Machuson
Joined  07-09-2008

I should also mention that there is a difference between transposing and Coarse Tuning and/or Note Shifting.

To quote Bad_Mister:

“Technically, “Transpose” is sent out via MIDI, so while the Coarse Tune parameter will change the sound of the Motif XS Voice on a per Element basis, it will not technically “transpose”, but it will ‘shift’ the pitch of internal tone generator.”

You should make sure you understand this if you are going to send any MIDI.

More info here as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ problems saving with my USB device!
Next Topic:

Using Control sliders in Performance mode ››