mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MO6/M08 Arpeggios MIDI Recording In Cubase"

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 04:40 PM
orlanmo8
Total Posts:  8
Joined  04-13-2009

I would like to know if anyone has ever used Cubase 4 as a sequencer and performed MIDI recording with MO6/M08 in which one track has a voice which has the Arpeggio enabled.  I have my Cuabse recording MIDI across a number of tracks from my MO8, each with seperate voices but without Arpeggio enabled on any of the tracks.
Right now my M08 is set for Local Control Off ( Internal Tone Generator Bypassed) and I would like to record the key notes from the synth keyboard for a voice which has an edited Arpeggio that is enabled.  I would like to record just the keyboard MIDI events which would be recorded in a specific track in Cubase and then when the DAW Sequencer sends the MIDI back to the MO8, trigger the Arpeggio and then send the output to the Tone Generator to play.  There is an article on this site “Recording MO Arps to Ext Seq (Cubase)” but I do not want to record the actual Arpeggio output in MIDI, just the notes that trigger the Argeggio.  At this moment I am not sure if the design of the M06/M08 and Motif ES will allow this approach to work. Thanks for providing any futher information on this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 06:50 PM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

so have you already tried this but it’s not working?

If I understand correctly, you just want a simple chord or note from a MIDI track in Cubase to trigger a voice on the MO8 with an arp enabled and you want that arp to be audible on playback? but no arp info in Cubase, just an audible arp when played through the MO8.

I would think that should be possible… to record the MIDI without arp data to Cubase just turn the arp off… then turn it on for playback

as long as you are only trying to do that with one arp I would think that should work… not certain, but I don’t see why not

if you are having a problem, are you using a track you already recorded on your MO8 where you turned RECARP on? (ref page 80 & 180 of MO6/8 manual)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2009 @ 10:53 PM
orlanmo8
Joined  04-13-2009

Thanks jmaths for the response.

I beleive what you said in your reply is what I am prospecting for.  Play a note on the MO8 on a track with a voice that has Arpeggio enabled and the MIDI for only the note itself is recorded in Cubase.  Cubase then routes the MIDI back to the MO8 to generate the mulit note Arpeggio output and sends it to the Tone Generator. 

Here is what I have for a setup:

Mult Editor Voices are transferred to MO8 and I can see that all voices are assigned to each of 5 tracks in the current song number 6. On track 5 (Port 1 Channel 5) I am using USR2 Voice 50 with Arpeggio enabled; validated this was enabled via the MO8 display.  When I play a note on the keyboard and the ARP is disabled I see the MIDI signal is received in Cubase on Track 5 and it then returns to the MO8 and plays as any other voice does. But when I enable the Arpeggio for this same voice on this same track and play it once more the MIDI signal is received once again in Cubase for that track but nothing plays out of the MO8.  Also I am recording the MIDI in Cubase of the actual notes played via the keyboard for the specific track with the voice enabled for Arpeggio.  So the MIDI which triggers the Arpeggio are getting to Cubase but on the round trip back to the MO8 this MIDI does not fire off the Arpeggio for each note so that I can hear it via the Tone Generator.  Maybe the MIDI coming back goes directly to the tone generator and bypasses the Arpeggio function.  It is hard to understand just where this functionality is, from the block diagram it appears to be in the MO8 Sequencer.
Also I did check the RECARP setting as you suggested on track 5 and its value was Off.  I believe this is referring to actually recording the Arpeggio output to Cubase if I am correct.
Out of answers today so I will pick this up tomomorrow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 10:41 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

When you play the keyboard what you play gets recorded in cubase if a track is setup and recording.

If you want to record the arp output you have to turn that on in the mo.

Playing back a recorded track to a track with an arp engaged should play the voice just like you were playing the keys.

Unless you have another track with arp turned on.

There is only one arpeggiator on the mo.

Also if you are working with arps on cubase you should have sync setup with mo as slave and local control off.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 11:50 AM
orlanmo8
Joined  04-13-2009

Tacman7 Thanks for the reply. 

Everything is up and running as far as recording in Cubase and regular voices record and play just fine.  It’s the tracks with an Argeggio Enabled that is giving me grief.  Also I do not want to record in Cubase the final Arpeggio output, I simply want to record the MIDI from the key presses on the MO8 for the given part that has arpeggio enabled. This MIDI after it is recorded in Cubase would then return to the MO8 and trigger the Arpeggio in the MO8 so I can hear it play.

I will check that the Arp is not enabled on some other Part, I only use 5 Parts/Tracks but maybe one of the Parts from 6 to 16 has Arpeggio enabled somehow.

Just to clarify what you are saying in regards to a part that has Arpeggio enabled.  In Cubase I should be able to just record the MIDI of the note presses on the MO8 for a Part enabled for Arpeggio; Note: I have observed this but do not hear the Arpeggio play out of the MO8.  Also this MIDI then on its round trip back to the MO8 should trigger the Arpeggio “module” on the MO8 and play the generated Arpeggio just as if I was playing this voice on the M08 directly without Cubase.  Thanks again for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 02:56 PM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

heh… this is getting a little confusing.

Just to clarify, are you performing 2 separate actions? 1st step is recording MIDI to Cubase (nothing else). 2nd step is playing Cubase track, sending MIDI to MO8.

I’m asking because if you are trying to do all of these things at one time that could be your problem. I don’t see how you could play the MO8 with the arp disabled, but then simultaneously have the “echo” from Cubase sound the arp on the MO8. I don’t even know why a person would want to do that, but sometimes I thought that’s what you’re saying.

Anyway, maybe try starting from scratch just to run a test. New song, 1 track, keep it simple. See if you can get different results?

There is also a little quirk I have noticed when it comes to tracks with arps in the internal sequencer. Sometimes I have to open the record dialog (hit record button) for the track in order to activate the arp, especially if I already used an arp on another track (no, not trying to use more than one at a time). Sometimes just using the arp button will not disengage the arp from another track.

Man, does that even make sense? I might have to make a video or something just to explain myself!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 03:23 PM
orlanmo8
Joined  04-13-2009

These things can be somewhat complicated:) One operation really, when you use your MO8 in Song Mode, tether it to a PC with Cubase via USB the basic way it works to my understanding is this.  With Local Control Off on the MO8 the MIDI from the Keyboard goes to the MIDI Out and into Cubase ( External Sequencer) then Cubase takes that MIDI and sends it back ( Via Cubase Track Out Chanel) back to the MO8 so that it’s Tone Generator can play the MIDI. This is up and running as long as I use a Track in Cubase/Part On M08 that does not not have an ARP Enabled.  If I take that same track and enable the ARP on it within the MO8 the MIDI is still getting to Cubase as I play the keyboard or record. The MIDI received by the way is just the notes pressed not the Arp output.  In this scenario when Cubase routes the MIDI back the MO8 does not process these notes in it Arpeggio “module” and send this to it Tone Generator.
From all my reading this is how Cubase and the MO8 interact, please correct me if I am somehow not understanding the basic flow.  I will try to just create a new SONG with one track with Arp enabled and see if this resolves the problem, I sure hope so!  Also thanks for the insight on that internal sequencer I will take that into consideration when I perform this scaled down test.  I appreciate your input and time spent. Thank you..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 10:29 PM
orlanmo8
Joined  04-13-2009

Good news, I have found that the reason Arpeggios will not play and record using Cubase in the fashion I want is due to some sort of configuration change that is being introduce by the Multi Editor to the MO8.  The Multi Editor is being used from within Cubase to perform various voice settings to each Track/Part.  For some reason when I sync the Multi Editor settings to the MO8 the Arpeggios no longer play or record correctly.  To correct the issue I end up going back to the MO8 proceed to Song Mode Mixing Edit Mode select the specified track where Arp should be enabled and even though visualy it indicates Arp is enabled I have to reset this setting to On and the Store the Song.  When I find out the speciifc culprit in the Multi Editor that is causing this I will let everyone know (if anyone cares:) ) so hopefully no one else will encounter this issue and waste a large amount of time, like I have!

[ Ignore ]