mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What Mixer do you use?"

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 08:24 AM
uli_p
Total Posts:  53
Joined  03-02-2007

Hi all you experiened Motif Users out there,

I am currently in the process of deciding on a monitoring solution for my live gigs. Little Mixer, pair of powered 12/1 speakers. Question: What mixer and what Speakers do you use?

Specifically I have been looking at the Yamaha MG 82Cx and the MG 102C as well as the Behringer 802 and 1002FX.

Can you reccommend other monitoring solutions? I play in a church worhip band (not too loud), a rocky worship band (quite a bit louder) and sometimes solo for up to 150 people. The setup should be able to cover all of that.

Thank you for your input.
uli_p

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 09:54 AM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

The mixer is a solid choice, assuming it has enough channels for your band.

As for monitoring/loudspeakers, this could be a good source of debate, but I’ll throw something out there…

I like the Mackie SRM450’s in this situation. Powerful, versatile, 12” speakers rated at 300Watts. 

Lots of choices out there, but these are powered, portable, durable and produce solid spectrum for sound reinforcement.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2009 @ 01:21 PM
darkstar_outcast
Total Posts:  250
Joined  02-20-2008

I use yamaha mg 12/4fx.

Please note that if you using this mixer live , you can have 10 (!!!!) outputs from it.

2 main outs
2 aux outs(1 aux+1 effect out,but can be used as aux)
2 group outs
2 control room out

All have independent voume controls.
in addition,it have 2 recording out,but you can’t control its volume,you can record same signal that is being output from the main out jacks.
This is not power mixer,though.
it have 4 mono + 4 stereo inputs.Maybe this can be dealbreaker for you,because 4 stereo inputs are great to use with keyboards,but if you need separate instruments,you can get to situation where you can’t control separate instruments on stereo channel.
It have some effect built in,and I must say effects are not bad at all ! ! !My only complain is that it have no delay.I think it have reverb,chorus,flanger,phazer and distortion.

New series of mg mixers have compressor,too.But I wasn’t pleased with build quality of new series.Everyone told me that build quality is Yamaha standard,but old series (that I bought) looks built like a tank to me,new series not.
This is great litlle mixer,it is so versatile!

Hope that helps a bit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2009 @ 04:03 PM
uli_p
Total Posts:  53
Joined  03-02-2007

Hi darkstar_outcast,

it does help :-). I was wondering about the effect quality. Thank you for your input.

uli_p

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2009 @ 09:59 PM
xsprogrammer
Total Posts:  11
Joined  04-13-2009

I use a MOTU 896HD onstage as a digital mixer, along with the free MOTU Cue Mix software on my laptop (via firewire).  I don’t bring the laptop anymore because I have the mix dialed in and don’t need to tweak things with it. The 896 gives me 8 super high quality inputs with XLR or 1/4” inputs.  It also gives me up to 4 separate stereo outputs, or 8 mono outputs.  The only thing it lacks is processing (reverb, EQ, etc.).

If you really need onstage processing in addition to a great compact (2 space) digital mixer, then check out the new MOTU 896 MK3.  It has onboard DSP effects, EQ, compression, and everything.  I think it will even make coffee with the right plug-in.  I don’t have one, but I lust after one.

I play bass and keys in my band (depending on the song).  The MOTU sends stereo keyboards, mono bass, and a mono click-track out to the PA (all separate).  It also provides me with a stereo in-ear mix that plugs straight into my Shure hard-wire PSM600.  It’s just 2 rack spaces, and the audio quality is pristine!

Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Next Topic:

Stage Monitors ››