mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help needed to set up VST system link"

Posted on: April 10, 2009 @ 03:40 PM
cmorganis
Total Posts:  609
Joined  04-10-2007

Hi I posted a similar post in the Motif XS thread with no reply but I guess posting here is more proper.

I’m buying a new PC solely dedicated to music production to house Cubase 4.5.2, all Motif XS8 drivers (FW/software etc) and some strong VST packages.

My old pc that I want to utilize also will have Presonus firestudio (asio driver) and Cubase AI4 that came with my Motif XS that I never installed but will install now.

I assume that I can connect the two machines via VST system link to utilize both machines processing power.

What do I essentially need to do? What kind of wiring is needed between the 2 machines? I’ve noticed that the XS8 has only a Digital out and no digital in. Will that be a a problem?

Any help will be appreciated/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2009 @ 03:31 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Three things:
--First, have you gone through the tips on System link provided by Yamaha? (click here)
---Second, you mention that you want to use Cubase “AI”. IMHO not the best approach. :) I suggest that if you want to go that route you consider upgrading to one of the commercial versions of Cubase. AI is only a free light starter version meant to introduce you to a few features of the program and to encourage you to upgrade to one of the full featured versions.
---Three, System Link came out a number of years ago, and it has been my observation that it is no longer used very much. Someone who works for Yamaha/Steinberg can tell you what its status is at present though. In any case there are better and faster ways now to link computers....MIDI over LAN (MOL) being just one of them. You may wish to do some additional research on that before you decide what approach is best for you. A good forum to visit with that in mind is the soundsonline one (EastWest), since many composers who link computers in order to run orchestral libraries etc., post there and can offer advice. Hope this information helps............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2009 @ 04:14 PM
cmorganis
Total Posts:  609
Joined  04-10-2007

thanks for the info Frank,

exactly as you mentioned I got EastWest VST’s (EWQL Symphonic orchestra and EWQL Symphonic choirs). That’s the reason I am thinking about VST system link but I’ll check the other solution you mentioned too.

By the way I’ve got Cubase 4.5.2 the commercial version but instead of spending more money to get a second license I assume I could use on the second machine the AI4 version I’ve never used and is sitting around. Some mentioned that it runs only 2 VSTis but heck that is the two packages of east west and they are heavy enough as it is!

Thanks for the tips

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase 5.0.1 released
Next Topic:

Cubase AI 4.5.2 won’t start!!! ››