mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "HELP!!!!"

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 09:28 AM
Johnny-Boy
Total Posts:  963
Joined  06-07-2006

Hi!

I’m in pattern mode. I’ve completed Sections A, B, & C. Working great. I saved my work last night and loaded it this morning. Everything’s intact.

Now when I record a new Section in “D”, it changes a track 3 in Section “C”. It’s probably something to do with the nature of “phrases”, but I can’t figure out how to eliminate this from happening. Is there a way to shut this “phrase” feature off entirely?

All I want to do is create a new Section in “D” (and then “E")without it affecting A, B, or C.

Can someone help me?

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 10:46 AM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

maybe the “new” phrase number in your new pattern is already used in the previous pattern?

I don’t know how this would happen with a new recording, because the new phrase number should be unique… but if you edit a phrase that is used in two patterns they will both change

are you overdubbing? because that could explain it

don’t know if that is what your problem is or not, but maybe worth checking? sorry, that’s all I can think of from what you’ve said so far

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 11:19 AM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

“maybe the “new” phrase number in your new pattern is already used in the previous pattern?”

Thanks for your suggestion Jmaths. Not sure how to check that out.

It just seems strange that this happened today, when it was fine going from Section A to B to C yesterday.

Now when I record in “D” it shows up in track 3 in “C”. I’ve been recording all the way through each section. I realize, if you stop the recording short in a section in Pattern Mode this happens, but it never happened when recording straight through the full length each section.

I’ll keep at it till I figure it out.

Thanks again, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 12:17 PM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

Oops, sorry, I was saying Pattern A, B, C, etc… I meant Section A, B, C,…

I changed the wording in my previous post so there isn’t any confusion.

John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 02:21 PM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

There’s definitely been some setting changes in my ES8. Now when I go to Chain Play to record and chain the sections together - all these other tracks are coming entering.

Damn, I wish I could get this back to normal. I tried factory preset, but that doesn’t help with the files I saved already.

I’ll kiss the shoes of the man that can solve these issues for me!

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 08:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“Now when I record a new Section in “D”, it changes a track 3 in Section “C”. It’s probably something to do with the nature of “phrases”, but I can’t figure out how to eliminate this from happening. Is there a way to shut this “phrase” feature off entirely?

All I want to do is create a new Section in “D” (and then “E")without it affecting A, B, or C.”

The entire PHRASE thing can remain a mystery until you understand it. Then once you do, you will not want to shut it off, you simply learn how to use it to your advantage.

Any time you record when you are in a PATTERN your information goes into a USER PHRASE. This is different from SONG mode. When in SONG mode and you press record, you record linearly to a track until you stop.

In PATTERN mode, one of the key differences is Pattern cycle. They play a set length and then begin again. The PHRASE LENGTH is determined by the parameter you set on the main screen: At the far right you will see the: MEASURE COUNTER/PHRASE LENGTH parameter.

Typically it reads 001:1/004
which translates to Measure 001: Beat 1 / out of a Phrase Length of 004 Measures.

If you highlight the Phrase Length you can set it to any number from 001 ~ 256 Measures in length. This will determine the length of Phrase you are getting ready to right.

Of course, you have to set this Phrase Length prior to recording because the ES needs to know when to cycle.

Since each recording’s length is known before you record it, the motif ES can keep this phrase for you. You can name it if you wish, and you can use it else where in your composition - simpy by recalling it. Because most people don’t take the time to name each phrase, it is conveniently given a USER PHRASE number 001-256

You can view your user phrases by simply pressing [F4] PATCH from the main PATTERN screen (see screen shot below). The track number is followed by either a solid box (data exists) or a dashed box (no data exists). When you highlight a track (press the Track Select button [1]-[16]) the information for that track is shown on the top line… you can see the Phrase Length for each track in the extreme upper right corner… in the screen shot the current Phrase on Track 2 is User Phrase 018, called “NwR&B2H1;”, it is 4/4 time and it is 008 measures in length.

Phrases are automatically assigned when you place a Track in record. SECTION A can have a maximum of 16 USER phrases; usr:001 through usr:016, each section can have its own 16 or you can “patch” a phrase to a section. You do so in the same manner you select from the 687 Preset Phrases… You go to this PATCH screen - and instead of selecting a preset drum groove, you can select your own USER patterns. So if you like the drum groove you did in SECTION A, Track 1 usr:001, you can activate that in Section G by simply pathcing ‘usr:001’ to a track in Section G.

Depending on how many tracks you record you will use a certain number of phrases. If a track is empty when you press record the lowest numbered empty phrase number will be assigned. If the track already contains data for a section, then you will be set to either add to that data (overdub record) or to rewrite that data (replace record).

Go to SECTION D
Press [F4] PATCH
And make sure when you are recording to a track that the track does not already have a Phrase assigned.

Image Attachments
Motif ES Patt.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2009 @ 09:06 PM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

That’s great Bad_Mister!!! Thanks so much. You bailed me out again. How many times as it been so far.

I made a copy of your post to keep by my ES8.

Yeah, the phrase concept makes perfect sense to me now.

Thanks again!!!

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2009 @ 10:55 PM
midinut
Total Posts:  93
Joined  02-21-2009

I agree ... that makes it much easier to wrap my brain around the “phrase” concept. Thanks so much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2009 @ 03:54 AM
Johnny-Boy
Joined  06-07-2006

Yeah, Bad Mister really opened my eyes to the workings of a phrase. Thanks again!!!

Best, John

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ No sound from computer sound card
Next Topic:

Trigger sample by pressing a Key ››