mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need HELP with my set up plssss"

Posted on: March 19, 2009 @ 05:59 AM
rokit8
Total Posts:  6
Joined  03-19-2009

Hi,

Ive just invested in a brand new set up and i require a little help to ensure ive got it all hooked up right.... your help would be much appreciated…

so here goes…

ive got:

Motif Rack ES
Rokit8 Monitors
Roland PCR-500 Keyboard
Tascam 122L audio interface
Cubase

Im just a little confused on how to hook it up between the motif rack, keys and the audio interface to make sure ive got all corners covered.... i want to be able to use it in cubase along with just jamming withut using cubase (if thats possible)

i jsut need to know where all the plugs go lol.. sorry to sound like a noob…

oh and this might be a dumb question… but i have the line out (which are RCAs) of the Tascam audio inerface, going in to the monitors… I get sound, however at full volume its fairly loud, but not as loud as the rokits can go?  any idea what im doing wrong there or is that just how it is???

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2009 @ 09:57 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

If you want to just “Jam” on your Rack-ES with your Roland PCR-500, without your computer being involved, you’ll need to set your RACK to use the MIDI ports, and plug the MIDI OUT of the PCR to the MIDI IN on your RACK.

I don’t know how the Tascam 122L works, but if it allows passive MIDI PASSTHRU, then you can go MIDI-OUT of the PCR to MIDI-IN on the 122L, then MIDI-OUT from the 122L to the MIDI-IN on the RACK.

Then, when CUBASE is up and running, take the 122L out of PASSTHRU mode, and it can be used as a MIDI instrument in CUBASE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2009 @ 09:49 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

The answer I’d give depends on what kind of computer you are using, how many USB ports is has, and also what version of Cubase. As ‘TP’ mentions above, the setup without a computer is pretty straight forward. As for the computer setup:

#1) I would go USB from the Rack ES to another USB port (in order to take advantage of Studio Manager; and Cubase’s ability to remember your setups). Next, go MIDI out from the Roland to either the MIDI in of the Rack ES, preferably (or the Tascam).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2009 @ 10:24 PM
rokit8
Joined  03-19-2009

thanks for the replies so far…

yes my PC has 6 USBs.  So i would like to utilise the studio manager apps also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2009 @ 04:14 AM
rokit8
Joined  03-19-2009

ok so ive done this so far and theres no sound:

midi out of the roland to midi in of the tascam
then the midi out of the tascam to the midi in of the motif…

now this set up above is simply for jamming without PC interference!

Any ideas what im doing wrong?

also, what set up would i use if i wanted to use cube(sx4)
Thanks again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2009 @ 10:49 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

As I mentioned in my post, that will only work if the TASCAM supports Passive MIDI passthrough.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2009 @ 06:50 PM
rokit8
Joined  03-19-2009
TonyPhillips - 20 March 2009 10:49 AM

As I mentioned in my post, that will only work if the TASCAM supports Passive MIDI passthrough.

Hi,

The Tascam only had midi in and out (see attached images)

so what are my other options?

My main priority here is music production with cubase.  So whats the best way to do that?

Image Attachments
1.gif2.gif3.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2009 @ 09:15 PM
rokit8
Joined  03-19-2009

ok so ive gone midi out of the roland midi keys to the midi in of the motif es rack… when i start cubase and try and use it i dont get a signal?

I get the midi in and out bars (red and green bars on transport bar) activating… the multi button light flashes on the rack.. but no sound??

When i use a VST all is good, i can hear it no probs - but cant seem to get anything from the motif?

Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2009 @ 11:01 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok, again, the ‘jammin’ setup should be pretty straightforward… No Tascam hookup, if we’re talking just playing the rack: Just Roland MIDI out to the Rack ES MIDI in…

As for the computer, I take it that you’ve put the Rack ES in USB mode… (whenever you ‘jam’ it needs to be in MIDI mode). Have you setup the Motif’s MIDI ports in Cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2009 @ 11:06 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

One other thing, I personally don’t see any reason to utilize the Tascam to carry MIDI. It is possible to setup Cubase for the Tascam to carry the Audio only and the Rack Es’ MIDI ports to handle all of the MIDI…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2009 @ 02:33 AM
rokit8
Joined  03-19-2009

ive got the midi out of the keyboard going to the midi in of the motif.

the only way i can hear it is when i plug an audio cable from teh motif to the line in of the tascam audio interface.  Using the midi cables along doesnt give me a signal for some reason..

in cubase my midi in is: all midi inputs
midi out in cubase is: Motif ES Device

Like i said before, teh transport bar shows both green and red bars active when i press teh keys, the multi button even flashes with it also… but still no sound!  MUst be a setting of some kind (within the motif, teh midi in/out is set to USB

??? 

not sure what to do!

THanks for the replies

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2009 @ 01:00 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Exactly,
The Tascam is your Audio Interface. The USB port of the Rack ES Does Not carry audio. That’s why I stated above

the Tascam to carry the Audio only and the Rack Es’ MIDI ports to handle all of the MIDI

. So, when recording audio into the computer, the Audio Outputs of the Rack Es must go into the Audio Ins of the Tascam…
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2009 @ 01:11 PM
OneWatt
Total Posts:  57
Joined  08-07-2005

Last post on this was a week ago, so perhaps you’ve got things under control, but here’s one small thought…

Not sure if this MIGHT be complicating things, but I didn’t notice anywhere above whether you’ve set your Motif Rack ES to MIDI=USB? That’s a setting in the Utilities so that your Rack is communicating midi signal on the USB line, rather than direct Midi cables in/out of the back of the Rack.

This sometimes causes folks grief in getting things setup to their satisfaction (especially when using multiple Midi devices), so just thought I’d add this seemingly small suggestion.

Good luck - OneWatt

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How to Bulk Dump All Data ?
Next Topic:

DTXplorer dilemna ››